A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 19 2009, 03:31 AM   #1711
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Rosalind wrote: View Post
Zatoichi wrote: View Post
Ming Xiong – Figured him slight but sharp, like Andy Lau.
oh, no, not Andy Lau, I can't see him playing an idealistic young man who joined Starfleet to seek out new life and new civilizations.
SVU fan chiming in here: how about B.D. Wong?
Old December 19 2009, 07:06 AM   #1712
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

I dunno, seems to me Xiong's been growing a little less wonderstruck as the series moves on. But I can see what you mean.
I think my perception of Andy Lau is firmly grounded in the gambling movies he did and then recently his performance on stage as a singer.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I haven't watched anything by this guy, so I can't say. Besides, I don't have a very good image of what Xiong is like, and I rarely picture the characters when I read.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2009, 08:18 AM   #1713
captcalhoun
Admiral

oh, i do. it all plays out in my head like a trillion dollar movie. that's why i love books.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 01:49 AM   #1714
JD
Admiral

Same here, which is why I try to cast as many characters as I possibly can. It makes it easier for me to "watch the movie".
Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah -- Mako is my Nogura now. I used to go with James Shigeta, who played Nogura in a fan film I read about in Starlog once, and who I think was considered for the role in an early part of the TMP or Phase II development process. But Mako is a much better idea.

Now if only Dave or Dayton and Kevin would write a scene where Nogura says the word "samurai"... or speaks lovingly about tea...
I feel like I should recognize that reference, but it's not coming to me.
Whenever I think of Mako, I think of the different roles he played in M*A*S*H. I know I've seen him in alot of other good stuff, but I love M*A*S*H* so they've always stuck with me.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 02:25 AM   #1715
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Now if only Dave or Dayton and Kevin would write a scene where Nogura says the word "samurai"... or speaks lovingly about tea...
The former is to his voice role as the villain Aku (and the main title narrator) on Samurai Jack; the latter is to his final role, Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 02:40 AM   #1716
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Rosalind wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I haven't watched anything by this guy, so I can't say. Besides, I don't have a very good image of what Xiong is like, and I rarely picture the characters when I read.
Here's a Wiki page about his SVU character.
Old December 20 2009, 03:44 PM   #1717
JD
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
The former is to his voice role as the villain Aku (and the main title narrator) on Samurai Jack; the latter is to his final role, Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Ah, never seen either of those. Although I do have the first season of Avatar waiting in my Netflix Watch Instantly queue.
Old December 29 2009, 12:18 AM   #1718
Csalem
Commodore

Ming Xiong – Figured him slight but sharp, like Andy Lau.
Rarely when I'm reading a book can I 'cast' an actor in a role, but for some reason I always picture Edison Chen (who played the young Andy Lau in the Infernal Affairs saga) for Ming Xiong.

I always thought the way he played the character in IA2 is the way Ming Xiong comes across in the books.

As for Andy Lau, I don't really rate him as an actor. Sorry
Old December 29 2009, 12:35 AM   #1719
snakespeare
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to snakespeare

Cybersnark wrote: View Post
Liza Lapira as T'Ryssa Chen
Liza plays "Ivy" (Topher's sidekick) on Dollhouse (and has played the much more serious Agent Lee on NCIS), so I think she has the right blend of youthfulness and maturity to play Tryss (considering that Tryss, despite her behaviour, is old enough to be an officer).
Hmm, I see what you're going for. Doesn't work for me, but she's more in the ballpark than most of the suggestions I've heard.
Of course, most people would probably say Lucy Liu with pointed ears. In my imagination she looks like Ezri with longer hair. Are you keeping it to yourself, Chris, or did you have a particular actress in mind? Perhaps Maggie Q?
snakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 02:16 AM   #1720
Christopher
Writer

snakespeare wrote: View Post
Of course, most people would probably say Lucy Liu with pointed ears.
What?? No, totally the wrong type for T'Ryssa. Profoundly the wrong type. That'd be like casting Leonard Nimoy as Chekov.

Although Lucy Liu does happen to be more or less my mental model for the leading lady in my story "The Hub of the Matter" which will be in the March issue of Analog.

Are you keeping it to yourself, Chris, or did you have a particular actress in mind? Perhaps Maggie Q?
No, she's not the right type either. Don't think glamorous and striking, think cute and tomboyish.

And I didn't have a particular actress in mind, no. I have a mental image of her, but it's not based on any single person.

Actually, after seeing Liza Lapira in a bigger role in a recent Dollhouse -- and seeing her without the facial piercings and a more attractive hairstyle -- I think she's closer to the right type than I did when Cybersnark first suggested it. I also think Smith Cho from the recent Knight Rider revival came pretty close. If you took the average of those two women, that might be pretty close to the mark in both looks and personality.

Old December 29 2009, 03:15 AM   #1721
JD
Admiral

Do you watch NCIS at all? Liza Lapira had a recurring role as an agent a more straitlaced agent for a couple seasons.
Old December 29 2009, 01:26 PM   #1722
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

^ cute and tomboyish? how about this girl?
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 03:18 PM   #1723
Christopher
Writer

^In the ballpark in looks (though she could stand to put on a few pounds), but I have no idea who she is or what her personality/performance would be like. We're (hypothetically) casting a main member of the TNG ensemble here, not a calendar pinup.

Old December 29 2009, 07:06 PM   #1724
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

^In the ballpark in looks (though she could stand to put on a few pounds), but I have no idea who she is or what her personality/performance would be like. We're (hypothetically) casting a main member of the TNG ensemble here, not a calendar pinup.
But we are talking about actors (people who get paid to be someone they are not) and their performing abilities (well I am) and if they are any good, what they look like and their personality in real life shouldn't matter really should it?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 07:18 PM   #1725
Christopher
Writer

^Huh? I didn't mean real-life personality, I meant onscreen persona -- the voice, the delivery, the expressions, the attitude. I have an image in my mind of how T'Ryssa looks and how she talks and acts. The whole point of this is to find an actress who can not only look the part but pull off the performance.