RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,349
Posts: 5,502,686
Members: 25,120
Currently online: 552
Newest member: Gaytrekgeek

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 17 2009, 02:36 AM   #1516
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
While reading "Full Circle," Tim Roth, the actor who plays Dr. Lightman on "Lie to Me", comes to mind for Hugh Cambridge.
Reading Full Circle now and I have Hugh Laurie (he of Blackadder and House fame) as Voyagers new Councillor.
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 03:58 AM   #1517
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
While reading "Full Circle," Tim Roth, the actor who plays Dr. Lightman on "Lie to Me", comes to mind for Hugh Cambridge.
Reading Full Circle now and I have Hugh Laurie (he of Blackadder and House fame) as Voyagers new Councillor.
Counselor. Counselors give counsel. Councillors are members of a council. Many councillors have counsel.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 04:06 AM   #1518
William Leisner
Scribbler
 
William Leisner's Avatar
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
View William Leisner's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Sci wrote: View Post
Many councillors have counsel.
Though that's small consolation.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 05:00 PM   #1519
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Given the character shares a first name with Hugh Laurie, his last name is Laurie's alma mater, and his attitude shares much with Laurie's most popular character, I think the casting of Laurie as Counselor Cambridge is definitely going along with the author's intent (though Kirsten will, of course, correct me if I'm wrong....).
__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 05:03 PM   #1520
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Sci wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
While reading "Full Circle," Tim Roth, the actor who plays Dr. Lightman on "Lie to Me", comes to mind for Hugh Cambridge.
Reading Full Circle now and I have Hugh Laurie (he of Blackadder and House fame) as Voyagers new Councillor.
Counselor. Counselors give counsel. Councillors are members of a council. Many councillors have counsel.
Cheers for that, it was very late and I was rather drunk last night when I posted that and just clicked on the first word in the spell check list.
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 07:05 PM   #1521
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

KRAD wrote: View Post
Given the character shares a first name with Hugh Laurie, his last name is Laurie's alma mater, and his attitude shares much with Laurie's most popular character, I think the casting of Laurie as Counselor Cambridge is definitely going along with the author's intent (though Kirsten will, of course, correct me if I'm wrong....).
Which character is that? The Prince Regent in Blackadder the Third or George in Blackadder Goes Forth?
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 10:13 PM   #1522
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

I meant Bertie Wooster, of course! Silly sod.....
__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 10:47 PM   #1523
JB2005
Commodore
 
JB2005's Avatar
 
Location: England, UK
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

KRAD wrote: View Post
Given the character shares a first name with Hugh Laurie, his last name is Laurie's alma mater, and his attitude shares much with Laurie's most popular character, I think the casting of Laurie as Counselor Cambridge is definitely going along with the author's intent (though Kirsten will, of course, correct me if I'm wrong....).
I'm nearly certain that it has been stated Kirsten based Cambridge on Hugh Laurie/House in the Full Circle thread
__________________
Click here to see my failed attempt to write a children's story!
JB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2009, 06:40 PM   #1524
CaptainGren
Ensign
 
Location: Good old England
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

I always pictured Ron Glass as Doctor Kez, so much so that I modelled a custom I'm doing of him after the actor
CaptainGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 05:31 AM   #1525
Cap'n Crunch
Captain
 
Cap'n Crunch's Avatar
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

While reading the Titan series, especially Sword of Damocles, the image of Lennie James kept popping into my head whenever I pictured Jaza, even though I was trying to picture Djimon Hounsou.
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 09:30 PM   #1526
Csalem
Commodore
 
Csalem's Avatar
 
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Possibly because I spent the last month watching BSG but I kept picturing Edward James Olmos as Reyes in Open Secrets.
__________________
Csalem
Csalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 01:21 AM   #1527
Paris
Commodore
 
Paris's Avatar
 
Location: In the future's past
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

^I read some of David Mack's annotations, and he said that he pictured Tommy Lee Jones as Reyes. Ever since I read it, he's all I can picture
__________________
"I don't use plot to serve continuity porn, I use continuity porn to serve plot." - Christopher L. Bennett July 2, 2013
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 08:06 PM   #1528
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

I used to pictured Edward James Olmos too, but for some reason he never felt quite right. But ever since watching Caprica I've been picturing Esai Morales, who play's Adama's father instead, and (to me at least) he seems to fit what I have in mind better.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 09:58 PM   #1529
Cicero
Admiral
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Location: The City of Destiny
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

JD wrote: View Post
I used to pictured Edward James Olmos too, but for some reason he never felt quite right. But ever since watching Caprica I've been picturing Esai Morales, who play's Adama's father instead, and (to me at least) he seems to fit what I have in mind better.
Morales would be a good choice. I can see him, a decade or two older, almost as well as I can Olmos in the role.
__________________
Ad majorem futuri gloriam.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 04:02 PM   #1530
UncleRogi
Commander
 
Location: Hanover NH, the catspaw of Atoning Unifex
Re: Casting the DS9 Relaunch

[QUOTE=quazar;834756]I personally really dig Connery as Vaughn. His lines in alot of the books really translate well if you read them with a Connery accent.[Quote]
There is no possible way to agree enough



I honestly think "The Rock" would an excellent Jem'hadar
__________________
Damn The Romans!--Leto II, God Emperor, to His Memories (Frank Herbert)
UncleRogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.