Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 21 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
serenitytrek1
Commander

IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

hello guys...I cant seem to find the thread for this comics anymore so I thought it was tome to start a new one. Has anybody read the recent issue - star trek ongoing 15? It has to do with the mirror universe, so am guessing it is going to be worth it. I have seen the previews and I gotta say....I am loving the artwork.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; November 22 2012 at 12:20 AM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 10:55 PM   #2
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

They used the wrong Enterprise during the prologue with Scotty and McCoy, which was inexcusably sloppy. It's like using the Adam West Batmobile in a comic adaptation of The Dark Knight.

Otherwise the art is good.

(and this just from looking at the preview!)
Old November 21 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
They used the wrong Enterprise during the prologue with Scotty and McCoy, which was inexcusably sloppy. It's like using the Adam West Batmobile in a comic adaptation of The Dark Knight.
Oh, that's happened on a number of occasions in Trek comics and novel covers over the decades. Sometimes people choose the wrong photo reference. Like that panel in DC's Mirror Universe Saga that's supposed to be the Mirror Enterprise with a reverse image superimposed over it to show the crossover -- but the base image is a drawing of Excelsior instead of Enterprise.

And it's easy to dismiss a mistake as "inexcusable" when you don't have to do the work yourself. Anyone who actually does work in publishing knows how common it is for mistakes to slip through even when a dozen people edit and quality-check the work a dozen times each. I'm sure it's the same in graphic publishing. This kind of error in particular, where you substitute one valid thing for another valid thing, is the kind that easily and routinely slips past the brain's radar, because your mind recognizes it as a legitimate word or image or whatever and thus the red flag doesn't go off the way it would if the word were improperly spelled or the ship were crudely drawn. Sure, it's in the wrong context, but that's a harder mistake to catch when you're in the kind of editorial mode that's looking for errors in the individual words or images themselves. That's why I was able to spend seven years repeatedly rereading and revising a particular scene in Only Superhuman and completely miss the fact that I wrote "Sarkar crossed your arms" instead of "her arms" -- and why everyone else who edited and proofread it missed that too until one day I just happened to look at it with my mind in the right state to realize that I'd told the readers that a character reached out of the book and crossed their arms for them. Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it, but it took me seven years to see it. (And it could've been anyone; it was the luck of the draw that I happened to be the one to catch it.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Is the story any good regrdless?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 12:38 AM   #5
JD
Admiral

I honestly didn't even notice it was the wrong Enterprise until somebody pointed it out in one of the articles on another Trek site. I really doesn't seem that obvious to me unless you look really closely.
Old November 23 2012, 01:18 AM   #6
F. King Daniel
Admiral

But... but... the nacelles!!
Old November 23 2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

I am going to give a few of the IDW comics a go tonight. Been awhile since I read a comic. I am more of a book guy.

Last edited by Patrick O'Brien; November 23 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Patrick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Yes, the story is good. A very nuTrek take on the mirror universe. Quinto with a goatee, Pine with a scar and a 2009 movie character cameo. I'm a big fan of this comic series and this issue doesn't disappoint.

The artist on the book should be cut some slack: what he lacks in nacelle rendering can be excused by his very fine depictions of the nuTrek cast, both normal and mirror-verse. He also does a pretty apt illustration of prime universe Scotty and McCoy in the comic. Impressive work.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
And it's easy to dismiss a mistake as "inexcusable" when you don't have to do the work yourself. Anyone who actually does work in publishing knows how common it is for mistakes to slip through even when a dozen people edit and quality-check the work a dozen times each.
There's the rather infamous Filmation pencil sketch of the Vulcan skyline, where someone has very clearly written "NO MOON". The inker never noticed.

And Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer signed off on the final sketch of USS Reliant when it was upside down, which is how it came to have its nacelles under the main hull.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Markonian
Captain

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
They used the wrong Enterprise during the prologue with Scotty and McCoy, which was inexcusably sloppy.
Maybe it just represents one of the other myriad universes? Don't look for errors when you can conveniently explain it away.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
And Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer signed off on the final sketch of USS Reliant when it was upside down, which is how it came to have its nacelles under the main hull.
Which is the reverse of what happened with the original Enterprise proposal model in 1964 -- Guzman and Jefferies designed and built it with the nacelles underneath, but it was hung upside-down and Roddenberry approved it that way.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I always tought the Reliant looked weird. Now i know why.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 06:14 PM   #13
serenitytrek1
Commander

can anyboudy gives a summary of the recent issue? I have only seen some of the previews.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

This is my first time trying the spoiler feature, so please forgive me if I mess it up:

Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 07:56 PM   #15
JD
Admiral

So it really has nothing to do with the story of Mirror, Mirror then? The description calls it an adaptation of the episode.