Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 26 2013, 05:32 PM   #1381
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Im thinking it was work for new Terminator Movie.
Old November 26 2013, 05:56 PM   #1382
reanimatedfish
Lieutenant Commander

View reanimatedfish's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to reanimatedfish

...Either the new Terminator movie or the live action adaptation of Battletoads.
Old November 26 2013, 06:06 PM   #1383
largo
Fleet Captain

or he's cloning himself. i hope he's cloning himself.
Old November 26 2013, 06:16 PM   #1384
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^This.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:01 PM   #1385
B.J.
Rear Admiral

In which case he'll be done with the Grandeur in only 10 years rather than 20!
Old November 26 2013, 09:42 PM   #1386
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Actually, the "big project" stuff was done months ago. I did several rather elaborate concept art pieces for a Hollywood film production that's in development. Got paid for it and everything. Unfortunately, I can't provide any details other than to say it has nothing to do with any established franchises or anything else you've likely ever heard of.

I also did a book cover for a first-time author friend of mine, which I showed a glimpse of on my Website and in the "What are you working on?" thread. Can't really say much about that either at this point.

In addition to the Guardian Angel painting I'm working on for my Mom for Christmas, I'm also working on another Grandeur paintover for the underside, which I hope to have finished tonight or tomorrow.
Old November 27 2013, 04:36 AM   #1387
lennier1
Commodore

Vektor wrote: View Post
Actually, the "big project" stuff was done months ago. I did several rather elaborate concept art pieces for a Hollywood film production that's in development. Got paid for it and everything. Unfortunately, I can't provide any details other than to say it has nothing to do with any established franchises or anything else you've likely ever heard of.
Interesting. Does the NDA allow you to point out which stuff you worked on once the production goes public with its promo material and the like? If so, I'm looking forward to that.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 05:10 AM   #1388
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Technically I don't think I can show any of it or talk about it until after the movie is released. There's also a possibility I may be called back to do more work on it. I assure you it will all see the light of day eventually, though.
Old November 30 2013, 07:15 AM   #1389
Vektor
Rear Admiral

The paintover for the underside is basically finished, give or take a panel line or window here and there:

I'll be returning to the 3D model soon to implement these details and hopefully get this project finished once and for all.
Old November 30 2013, 07:33 AM   #1390
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Absolutely gorgeous!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 12:53 PM   #1391
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

It is. Even ignoring my personal distaste of the big black sections it at least looks functional on the saucer, lacking windows and clearly appearing to serve a purpose. The section you have colored dark on the secondary hull looks arbitrarily painted-on in comparison. There are certainly opportunities to include the black on the secondary hull, but the current implementation is bordering on lazy and that isn't something I generally associate with your design choices.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 06:16 PM   #1392
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Okay, dislike the scheme for the secondary hull all you want, but that's about the 15th version I tried over three solid days of working on this, including Thanksgiving day, so you might want to reconsider your choice of the word "lazy." Besides which, I like it. I won't guarantee I won't change it after I look at it from some different angles, but I think it's gonna work out fine.
Old December 1 2013, 06:26 AM   #1393
sojourner
Admiral

I actually like this. For some reason it has a more "technical" feel than the top paint over.
Old December 1 2013, 07:11 AM   #1394
lennier1
Commodore

The lower details with the various homages to the Excelsior and Ambassador seem just fine. It's the large black area on top that seems somewhat out of place to me because it paints such a large area in a continuous dark color.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 09:15 AM   #1395
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Vektor wrote: View Post
Okay, dislike the scheme for the secondary hull all you want, but that's about the 15th version I tried over three solid days of working on this, including Thanksgiving day, so you might want to reconsider your choice of the word "lazy." Besides which, I like it. I won't guarantee I won't change it after I look at it from some different angles, but I think it's gonna work out fine.
Perhaps I should have just stuck with "arbitrary" then. The ship is beautiful, and no matter what choices you make going into the final stretch here I don't think that will change. It never hurts an artist to ask them to justify those choices though. Every other dark section of the ship is a distinctly separate section and appears to be that way for some purpose or another. My immediate question upon looking at this was "why would they paint just that section black?" Why not echo the tops of the nacelles by placing it on the bottom of the hull? Why not remove the windows there and inset it like all the other black areas?

Hopefully you can accept my repeated nitpicking as constructively as I intend it.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote