RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 511
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 2 2006, 12:46 AM   #91
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

CaptainRoop said:
Anti_Drone said:
Wow... I have got to get me one of those.
Check my signatures on getting one of those when the time comes.
Actually, I was talking about the real thing... but a model might have to do. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Are you going to be filling in any other areas of the ship besides the bridge? I have a corridor concept that would fit well with the style you have already established. I also have a warp core that I sketched a couple of years ago that might work for you...

I just have no idea where they are in my huge mess of files.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2006, 02:05 AM   #92
CaptainRoop
Lieutenant

Are you going to be filling in any other areas of the ship besides the bridge? I have a corridor concept that would fit well with the style you have already established. I also have a warp core that I sketched a couple of years ago that might work for you, I just have no idea where they are in my huge mess of files.
We can talk about it, need to talk with other people. Dig them up and send stuff to me in E-mail ldr@neo.rr.com

Must be having problems getting that quote thing down. Sorry
CaptainRoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2006, 03:11 AM   #93
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

CaptainRoop said:
Are you going to be filling in any other areas of the ship besides the bridge? I have a corridor concept that would fit well with the style you have already established. I also have a warp core that I sketched a couple of years ago that might work for you, I just have no idea where they are in my huge mess of files.
We can talk about it, need to talk with other people. Dig them up and send stuff to me in E-mail ldr@neo.rr.com

Must be having problems getting that quote thing down. Sorry
I hope I wasn't being pushy. I just hate for my work to sit gathering dust if I think it could be useful. Use them if you wish or chuck it in the trash. Your choice.

I'll try and find them. I made a paper model of the corridor that I may still have somewhere. You know, that sounded really old school...

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2006, 04:50 AM   #94
CaptainRoop
Lieutenant

I hope I wasn't being pushy. I just hate for my work to sit gathering dust if I think it could be useful. Use them if you wish or chuck it in the trash. Your choice.

I'll try and find them. I made a paper model of the corridor that I may still have somewhere. You know, that sounded really old school...
No you are not to pushy, NP there. Check out this link http://forums.ussgrandeur.org/index.php?showtopic=14 alway welcome people who want to be part of the project. Be happy to see what you have and run it passed "The Commander" who is the head of the project, and NightShadow who is doing the bridge module and other interiors as well.
We will be looking forward to it, and thanks for speaking up.
Old May 3 2006, 05:35 AM   #95
CaptainRoop
Lieutenant

Kazeite said:
FYI, Banzai class fighter was designed by Paul S. Cargile, and, the mesh of that craft, as noted by him, is way too big. But I guess it's a good thing in this case, since it could fit into the hangar bay more easily.
Kazeite I want to thank you again for the FYI on the creator of the Banzai class ship. We managed to get ahold of him and got the offical use so to speak. It was great to know after all this time. And now will be able to put his name down as creator instead of just unknown, for future pics.
Old May 3 2006, 06:30 AM   #96
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Got some work done on the nacelles today. They're not going to be much different from the previous versions, just enough to warrant rebuilding them.

Old May 3 2006, 08:56 AM   #97
biotech
Vice Admiral

Great as usual, of course there are people that would kill to get the cast off you are no longer happy with.

Well maybe not kill, but scratch anyway.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2006, 08:32 PM   #98
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Ooooh, I like the new integration of the "fin" on top of the nacelle... very slick. :thumbsup:
Old May 4 2006, 04:58 PM   #99
USS Jack Riley
Captain

Vektor - she's looking great. Almost what I wish the Enterprise E was (although I happen to like the Enterprise E's design, even without the neck).

Can't wait to see the final version. :thumbsup:

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2006, 01:00 AM   #100
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Okay gang, I've gone almost as far as I need to with the test model except for some additional work on the underside of the primary hull. I've decided to run a couple of turntable animations to get a better feel for what the ship looks like from a full 360 degree perspective. Here is the first one, rendered from a high angle. The next one to be posted shortly will be from a low angle.

Rotation from Above (DivX, 794KB) - Please right-click and save to your computer; you'll save me some bandwidth on repeat viewings and it will play better to boot.

Have a look and let me know what you think about the ship's overall proportions and any other particulars you want to mention.
Old May 5 2006, 01:12 AM   #101
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Here's the second turntable animation from below.

Rotation from Below (DivX, 741KB) - Again, please right-clilck and save to your computer.
Old May 5 2006, 01:35 AM   #102
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Finally, here's a couple of close-up renderings showing the latest changes.

As you can see, I simplified the bridge structure in a way that I think is much cleaner and less complicated. It will also work better with the saucer separation scheme I have in mind once I get to that point.

I also made some changes to the deflector assembly. I made the oval shape slightly triangular and canted it forward a little to reduce its bluntness.

Opinions?
Old May 5 2006, 03:57 AM   #103
tiek
Commander

That's looking real nice. My only (minor) concern is how the neck joins up to the engineering hull - the slant feels like it's going back pretty sharply, like the neck's about to pinch off. It might be just some shadow coming off the lower hull making it look that way, though.
"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discover.
tiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2006, 07:26 PM   #104
Seraphim
Admiral

Hey Vektor, Seraphim here. We've all come to enjoy your designs of starships and what not over the years, and I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say well done on the new USS Grandeur.

I do have a question however, so bear with me here. What would you say is the purpose of this new ship? Is it your concept of what a future Starfleet vessel should look like, for perhaps an upcoming Series VI? Or is this ship simply an exercise in the latest design trends, if there is such a thing, of starships?

We're all curious as to how you would describe and/or categorize this latest effort?

Thank-you. :thumbsup:
Old May 5 2006, 08:29 PM   #105
Blip
Fleet Captain

Seraphim, if you head over to the following links, you should be able to find the answers to all of your questions (well, at least regarding this little beauty)
http://www.sextondesign.net/ussgrand...inproject.html
http://www.sextondesign.net/ussgrandeur/poll/
http://forums.ussgrandeur.org/
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote