Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 9 2010, 11:51 PM   #916
largo
Fleet Captain

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
i think that approach would be better too. its not like you care to shut the blast door, your scuttling the ship.
it could be a false alarm, though.
"Sorry, over the comm system it totally sounded like you said 'Deanna is at the helm.' My bad."
Old November 10 2010, 02:59 AM   #917
sojourner
Vice Admiral

"No, I said Dean played Matt Helm."
Old November 10 2010, 03:05 AM   #918
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

largo wrote: View Post
i think that approach would be better too. its not like you care to shut the blast door, your scuttling the ship.
"Sorry, over the comm system it totally sounded like you said 'Deanna is at the helm.' My bad."
bah.

any mechanical device holding the pods will fail when its needed to work. I say skip the blast door and either have the pods exposed or under a membrane that will tare from pressure of the pod leaving the ship. Have the nano-bots repair the skin as needed or some such technobable.

as nice looking as doors may look, they aren't practical for a ship that people are considering escaping from. If your so hurt by damage your thinking of escaping I'm sure somethings broken that will prevent those doors from opening.

maybe just have a "zipper" line down the center of the pod bay which opens as the pods leave the ship. one zipper per pod. the zipper opens and closes under pressure from springs, etc.

Like that BMW skin car.
Old November 10 2010, 08:19 AM   #919
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

largo wrote: View Post
bah.

any mechanical device holding the pods will fail when its needed to work. I say skip the blast door and either have the pods exposed or under a membrane that will tare from pressure of the pod leaving the ship. Have the nano-bots repair the skin as needed or some such technobable.

as nice looking as doors may look, they aren't practical for a ship that people are considering escaping from. If your so hurt by damage your thinking of escaping I'm sure somethings broken that will prevent those doors from opening.

maybe just have a "zipper" line down the center of the pod bay which opens as the pods leave the ship. one zipper per pod. the zipper opens and closes under pressure from springs, etc.

Like that BMW skin car.
Egg-zactly!

Which is why I suggested a thin plastic or ceramic cover last week which would allow escaping pods to punch through without resistance, yet could still be painted to match the general look of the rest of the ship. I suppose the edges could be trimmed in yellow or orange to remind EVA crews that the surface is fragile, thus justifying a hull pattern broken up in artistically pleasing ways. Indeed, the existing hatch covers are more than sufficient ... don't bother with hinges or mechanisms; when it's time to render an animated escape pod launch, just show them bursting through a particle spray of cover shards!
Old November 10 2010, 04:23 PM   #920
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Why bother with some flimsy hatch cover? The point of putting the pods behind hatches in the first place was to protect them from damage. At least that was the rationale. The real reason is because I don't like the look of escape pods encrusting the hull like barnacles.

Those hatch covers have to be armored or there is no point in having them at all.
Old November 10 2010, 06:41 PM   #921
Belisarius
Captain

The ideal "barnacle" design would be to make the exposed surface of the pod just as heavily armored as the rest of the outer hull (the pods extend pretty far into the ship after all, so space isn't an issue). This would give you advantages in defense...aspect to incoming enemy fire...and planetary atmospheric reentry. Obviously, you'd need an ablative system for the rest of the hull, but that's to be expected. Personally, I like your blow-out panel system better, because the pods would then be uniformly armored to their scale. I'm using a similar system for saucer warp engine field grills.

Been following this since the beginning, Vektor. I give it four thumbs way, way up.

~Belisarius
---------------------------
"All life is struggle, from first breath to last."
- Anonymous
Belisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 06:58 PM   #922
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
Why bother with some flimsy hatch cover? The point of putting the pods behind hatches in the first place was to protect them from damage. At least that was the rationale. The real reason is because I don't like the look of escape pods encrusting the hull like barnacles.

Those hatch covers have to be armored or there is no point in having them at all.
To me we are talking about flimsy covers because we want to hide the actual pods due to our artistic need to do so, not for some defense purposes.

Hiding the pods behind a blast door just seems to complex to function correctly when needed to work. Hell, half the time the enemies first shot takes out warp power and main power with it. Id Imagen the power to explode the blast door would be buried somewhere in redundant systems but how often does the self-destruct fail?

a general artistic outline of the pod on the surface with an armored escape pod may work rather well as noted above.

What about duplicating that grill design behind deck 3 and use that as the pod cover. add some glowing lights under the grill and each grill could open individually from the other pod grills.
Old November 12 2010, 01:18 AM   #923
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Could have much smaller 'hatches', with each one actually being attached to the pod under it. Keeps the surface flush (or close to it) without needing a separate door to open for them to get out. Then have a door (or another pod with the same shell on top) that closes behind it to fill in the armor gap left from the departed pod.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 04:45 AM   #924
Belisarius
Captain

I think that reaching the point where you must resort to using escape pods implies that residual armor is the least of your concerns.

~Belisarius
---------------------------
"All life is struggle, from first breath to last."
- Anonymous
Belisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2010, 01:36 AM   #925
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

It just looks cooler this way, which honestly is the most important thing to begin with when it comes to 24th century ship design.
Old November 13 2010, 10:00 PM   #926
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Interesting way to cover up the escape pods, I like it, no extra greebles.
Old November 27 2010, 06:06 AM   #927
Paul Davis
Cadet

i like this very nice ship
Paul Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 07:55 PM   #928
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Started work on secondary hull panel lines:

Making progress a little bit at a time.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 09:08 PM   #929
KNH
Commander

Small steps to a great result. I may have missed it, but what program are you using to make her?
KNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 11:22 PM   #930
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

wow I love this design! If my Enterprise-F series was ever made I'd want this ship design to be the design of my Enterprise-F.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote