Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 2 2010, 08:31 PM   #886
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

The escape pods are proving to be a real pain in the ass. I'm trying to approach the issue the way an actual starship designer might, accounting for function as well a form, and I have to admit I keep coming back to the Sovereign class. If you're going to have escape pods, it really makes the most sense to do them that way, without any needlessly complicated doors or hatches. The only good rationale I can come up with for concealing them is to protect them behind armored covers so they don't get obliterated by the same massive damage that is likely to necessitate their use. Then again, that's a pretty darn good reason.

For the pods themselves, I'm leaning toward the smaller, hexagonal pods used on the Defiant and Intrepid classes. They just seem like a better fit for the scale of this ship. Whether they sit on the surface or get buried under armor plating remains to be determined.
Old November 2 2010, 08:35 PM   #887
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

erifah wrote: View Post
and everyone knows penguins can't fly.
They do if you throw them off of a skyscraper.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 08:39 PM   #888
erifah
Captain

Vektor wrote: View Post
The escape pods are proving to be a real pain in the ass. I'm trying to approach the issue the way an actual starship designer might, accounting for function as well a form, and I have to admit I keep coming back to the Sovereign class. If you're going to have escape pods, it really makes the most sense to do them that way, without any needlessly complicated doors or hatches. The only good rationale I can come up with for concealing them is to protect them behind armored covers so they don't get obliterated by the same massive damage that is likely to necessitate their use. Then again, that's a pretty darn good reason.

For the pods themselves, I'm leaning toward the smaller, hexagonal pods used on the Defiant and Intrepid classes. They just seem like a better fit for the scale of this ship. Whether they sit on the surface or get buried under armor plating remains to be determined.
Yes, getting the lifeboats right can be a pretty big deal, indeed. Just ask Captain Edward John Smith.
erifah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 08:40 PM   #889
erifah
Captain

BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
and everyone knows penguins can't fly.
They do if you throw them off of a skyscraper.
Well, I don't think they would "fly" so much as they would "plummet."
Old November 3 2010, 12:24 AM   #890
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just because the escape pods aren't protected by an extra door or hatch doesn't mean they have to stand out. Why not just make the outside of the pods the same material and color as the primary hull? Maybe make them match that blue-ish color you have on the outer rim of the saucer. If you want the pods to be the hexagonal shape, you could maybe even incorporate that pattern into more of the hull so that the escape pods don't stand out as much.
Old November 3 2010, 03:05 AM   #891
erifah
Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Just because the escape pods aren't protected by an extra door or hatch doesn't mean they have to stand out. Why not just make the outside of the pods the same material and color as the primary hull...
Yes, that's it! And make the seam lines very small and tight - like the gap between a Mercedes hood and fender. The outline of the shapes of the lifeboats would be very subtle. Then, alter the pattern of the paneling in the immediate area surrounding each bank of lifeboats - but very subtly.
Old November 3 2010, 03:17 AM   #892
AudioBridge
Captain

The only good rationale I can come up with for concealing them is to protect them behind armored covers so they don't get obliterated by the same massive damage that is likely to necessitate their use. Then again, that's a pretty darn good reason.
Exactly. If you've gotten to the point that its time to abandon ship because of an exterior threat then exterior mounted pods are a bad idea. That same exterior threat will likely start shooting at escape pods anyway.

That is why the TMP Enterprise has the best solution. Warp core problem? Evacuate to the saucer and separate. Anyone that can't get out of the engineering hull needs to get to the shuttle bay, or to one of the few real escape pods (as visible in Kimble's layout and Probert's drawings, and were concealed behind the hull). Otherwise, you're SOL. Why complicate your design when the simpler solution makes more sense?
AudioBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 05:33 AM   #893
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just because the escape pods aren't protected by an extra door or hatch doesn't mean they have to stand out. Why not just make the outside of the pods the same material and color as the primary hull...
Yes, that's it! And make the seam lines very small and tight - like the gap between a Mercedes hood and fender. The outline of the shapes of the lifeboats would be very subtle. Then, alter the pattern of the paneling in the immediate area surrounding each bank of lifeboats - but very subtly.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Old November 3 2010, 05:02 PM   #894
erifah
Captain

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Obviously, you are a person of impeccable taste and sound thinking.
Old November 3 2010, 06:50 PM   #895
RoJoHen
Awesome

I do what I can.
Old November 4 2010, 01:37 AM   #896
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

The hex pods are under covers/hatches anyways

The Drexler has a useful page on the hex pod that shows the Intrepid and Defiant setups.

To get the hexes flush, you'd have to redesign them a bit, I think. Otherwise, it'd end up looking even more greebly intensive.
Old November 4 2010, 04:04 AM   #897
largo
Fleet Captain

perhaps leave the exterior smooth and unmarked. within the starship, the doors marked 'emergency escape pod' merely open into disintegration chambers. quick, painless.
Old November 4 2010, 04:09 AM   #898
RoJoHen
Awesome

largo wrote: View Post
perhaps leave the exterior smooth and unmarked. within the starship, the doors marked 'emergency escape pod' merely open into disintegration chambers. quick, painless.
The Ultimate Escape.
Old November 4 2010, 06:39 AM   #899
Vektor
Rear Admiral

The stuff shown for the Defiant escape pods on Drexler's website is pretty close to what I had in mind as far as hinged hull plates swinging open and allowing the pods to be jettisoned. Just need to play with the hull details to figure out exactly how to factor them in.
Old November 6 2010, 10:00 PM   #900
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Okay, I think this is how the escape pods are going to work:

I haven't done much detailing on the interior of the pod compartments, no hinges or supporting framework on the back side of the armored panels, nothing like that. I have a pretty good idea what all of that would look like and I might do it some time down the road, but probably not any time soon.

I think this also has the added benefit of breaking up those larger hull plates a bit and adding more visual interest without cluttering things up.

Opinions?