Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 7 2008, 10:28 PM   #496
the citizen
Lieutenant Commander

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

<squints> Oh, yeah... there he is!

BTW... I LOVE the shine on the razor... I mean phaser strips! That looks awesome!
Old April 7 2008, 10:59 PM   #497
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
Some of you might find it interesting to know that the hull panels were created by extruding and beveling the gaps between them inward, not by extruding the panels outward. Either way, it's a tedious pain in the butt, but probably not anywhere near as bad as the windows are going to be.
That in a nutshell is why I tend to avoid drawing anything "post movie-era", all those windows, lifeboat hatches and whatnot are an absolute nightmare!
Just getting the windows on the Korolev to look right in all the views was a headache unto itself and that's nothing compared to something the size of say a Galaxy-Class.

As for the latest WIP, there's something about that deflector that makes me wonder what it'd look like in yellow, Sovvie style.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 11:54 PM   #498
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

Very Nice!
Old April 8 2008, 12:18 AM   #499
Vektor
Rear Admiral

the citizen wrote: View Post
BTW... I LOVE the shine on the razor... I mean phaser strips! That looks awesome!
Don't get too enamoured of them. I rather like the shine myself, but it's going to wind up being dulled at least a little by a normal map I'm going to use to create the ribbed appearance common to later era phaser strips.

And in answer to a question you posed some time ago, I am still debating several different approaches for texturing this baby. So far I am modeling a lot of surface details like panel lines, which opens the possibility of using just a few stock textures and tiling them over various parts of the ship. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for area specific texture details and also limits a lot of the weathering effects I like to include for added realism. The alternative is to do hi-res, "wall-to-wall" surface textures, but those come at a price, mainly memory limitations and render time depending on how close to the model you want to be able to get.

I don't know. I think I'm pretty good at actually creating textures but I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the techniques of actually applying them to a 3D model, so I would appreciate any and all suggestions from those who are more experienced than I.
Old April 8 2008, 12:43 AM   #500
Vektor
Rear Admiral

CaptainRoop wrote: View Post
…Now if we get the 2 Wyvern V Anti-Recoil Proto-Cannons on the bow of the ship, it will be nearly complete to what it was before the changes again.
Well, technically this model is already a lot further along in overall detail than any previous version, but I get what you’re saying.

Almost time for another spin around animation or maybe the standard 5 view shots, front, back, side, top and bottom all in one pic, again after the cannons are added.
Probably not any time soon. Animation, in particular, is very time consuming and I would rather spend it completing the model. I am also trying to avoid giving any more really dramatic, wide-angle views of the ship in order to preserve a little something for the big reveal of the completed model at some far-off, long anticipated point in the future.
Old April 8 2008, 12:44 AM   #501
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
As for the latest WIP, there's something about that deflector that makes me wonder what it'd look like in yellow, Sovvie style.
Hmm... might be worth a shot.
Old April 8 2008, 02:59 PM   #502
the citizen
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know VEKTOR... I love the lite blue on the secondary deflector. Actually I was thinking of more lavendar-blue myself, as also with the warp coils on the nacelles. It has a more grand effect, I think. I am one of the few who is not fond of the Ent-E on a number of things, and that was one of them.
Old April 8 2008, 07:30 PM   #503
judexavier
Commander

VECTOR, I 'm curious as to what sort of texturing you are planning on. Will it be the "traditonal" aztec type paneling, or something different? After staring at these incredible images, I'm thinking it would look great painted smooth, like TOS. (ofcourse, with all sorts of little markings and pinstripes). Those smooth curves and joints really stand out in the clean form you have now.

Hate to keep repeating myself, but, simply awsome work.
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 10:00 PM   #504
Vektor
Rear Admiral

judexavier wrote: View Post
VECTOR, I 'm curious as to what sort of texturing you are planning on. Will it be the "traditonal" aztec type paneling, or something different? After staring at these incredible images, I'm thinking it would look great painted smooth, like TOS. (ofcourse, with all sorts of little markings and pinstripes). Those smooth curves and joints really stand out in the clean form you have now.
I'm really not sure what the plan is. I have a few preliminary ideas but I'm probably going to rely heavily on The Citizen for the textured appearance of the ship. He can probably give you a better answer at this point than I can.
Old April 8 2008, 10:41 PM   #505
the citizen
Lieutenant Commander

You've made a nice point that I happened to be contemplating the past few months, judexavier. I love both styles when done right. But lighting, proper texturing, and bump-maps can also make or break the look of your model as well. We'll probably show both styles when we get to that stage of the game, but that's my semi-techno response for today.
Old April 11 2008, 04:57 AM   #506
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Well, here's what the amber deflectors look like.

I must say, I like it better than I thought I would, but I'm not committing to anything.
Old April 11 2008, 05:20 AM   #507
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Vektor wrote: View Post
Well, here's what the amber deflectors look like.

I must say, I like it better than I thought I would, but I'm not committing to anything.
hmmmm nahhh looks better if they were blue to me but severly awsome 3d renders though
Old April 11 2008, 05:22 AM   #508
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Perhaps, as with Enterprise in TMP, the deflector color changes depending on whether the ship is at warp.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2008, 05:33 AM   #509
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
Perhaps, as with Enterprise in TMP, the deflector color changes depending on whether the ship is at warp.
Well if thats the case here too then id go with that color then
Old April 11 2008, 02:57 PM   #510
the citizen
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, definantly the blue.

aridas sofia - I agree about the color change too... I'm thinking the general color needs to be blue-lavendar, but while at warp, the color shifts to the blue side, but more white-hot blue the higher the the warp factor gets. THAT... would be cool!!