RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 670
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 25 2006, 02:32 PM   #31
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

CaptainRoop said:
Just wanted to say, Everybody is commenting on what that could be down and in front of the bridge area, and there has been soom good thoughts, but on most of your starships we are use to that area being just a lighted area that shines on the name and numbers I believe, so of course I am fine with that.
This is part of why I like it as a fwd scanner. We've seen that before... on the refit Enterprise among others. Theres an active scanner array just above the lower sensor dome on that ship, with four "spotlights" facing fore, aft, port, and starboard. Visually, the forward one of these is much brighter and is more like a spotlight... what I've described as the "big spotlight ahead, showing the way for our intrepid crew" (or some variation on that theme). The Excelsior also has this, but with six scanner emitters. I actually was taking this concept and carrying it to an extreme when I laid out my ship's primary hull... the "nose" that people complained about so much when I first presented it was based, more than anything else, on the refit Enterprise's scanner package (though taking cues from the Defiant, Intrepid, and NX classes as well). I wanted to (1) make it bigger (implying much more power and range than the conventional ones we've seen before) and (2) give it an unrestricted field of view (instead of having its field of view partially restricted by the hull). Then again, my ship is supposed to be a deep-range explorer/scout... basically, it's purpose is to be a "forward observer" type of ship rather than a main-line combat, science, or diplomatic vessel. Clearly, most ships (like Grandeur) are more multi-purpose, and you wouldn't expect the same almost dedicated focus on sensor and probe operations I built into mine.
And as some have commented I too liked the Delector Dish on top as it added even more to the possiblity that when the saucer seperates she can be even more self sufficient, along with the weapons and mini nacell ect. Of course it is up to you if you put that back on, but it was a good idea
I'm not sure that you shouldn't have both. If this "nose-let" gets treated as a scanner, maybe you can also have the old deflector where it was before? I have to admit that I've never quite gotten the need for a secondary deflector beam. Generally speaking, the forward shields are used for micrometeorite protection and the deflector beam is used to sweep away the big stuff that the shields wouldn't cover, right? Many "canon" ships don't even have a deflector beam (or at least nothing we can see as one). I get the impression that you only need a deflector beam if you're operating at reasonably high warp speeds... a separated hull element doesn't REALLY need it's own deflector beam at all, unless that section is going to be travelling at warp itself, I'd have to say.

But visually, I'm thinking that having a "secondary deflector" like the first revision of this ship (perhaps slightly smaller?) had would LOOK pretty cool, in combination with the detail that's been added here.

Just my 2cents
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2006, 04:59 AM   #32
Captain_April
Commander

I liked the first version, but I have to say that your new Primary Hull kicks ass, it really looks great. One thing I would say is don't change the warp engines, they rock! Keep it going.
Old March 28 2006, 05:47 AM   #33
Mentalist
Fleet Captain

It looks totally fantastic, really sweet design you have going on there, it's going to be a beauty once it's finished.

What 3d program did you use btw?

Me? I'm unreliable. I've got these evil hand issues.......
www.Trollkingdom.com ---
Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2006, 06:20 AM   #34
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Looking great... I notice the deflector on the top now (did I miss that before, or have you updated the picture?)

Also... is that a hangar facility at the back, or just general superstructure?
Old March 28 2006, 04:22 PM   #35
the citizen
Lieutenant Commander

Cary L. Brown said:
Looking great... I notice the deflector on the top now (did I miss that before, or have you updated the picture?)

Also... is that a hangar facility at the back, or just general superstructure?
The deflector is from a previous design from a few months back. We liked it so well that he generously added it to this version.

That is the hanger-bay for Grandeur-A's scout-fighter, USS Blackfoot. "A COOL RIDE!"
Old March 29 2006, 04:25 AM   #36
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Okay, decision time. I've got two different versions of the auxiliary deflector and three different versions of the name and registry. Everybody sound off on which you like best.

OPTION #1

OPTION #2A

OPTION #2B
Old March 29 2006, 04:29 AM   #37
Vance
Vice Admiral

I think you should curve the name to the registry number...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2006, 04:31 AM   #38
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Vektor said:
Okay, decision time. I've got two different versions of the auxiliary deflector and three different versions of the name and registry. Everybody sound off on which you like best.

OPTION #1

OPTION #2A

OPTION #2B

I like 2B the best for the registry. but I like the deflector forward better. so I would go with #1
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2006, 05:17 AM   #39
afterburn
Lieutenant

option 1 the reg just doesnt look right that big it makes the ship feel smaller than it is
afterburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2006, 05:47 AM   #40
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

#1, by far, is my preference... simply because the deflector seems much more a part of the "nose" elements of the hull in this case.

On the other hand, I like the slightly smaller deflector you used in the other version (or at least it LOOKS smaller... is that an optical trick?).

If it were me, I'd stick with #1 but make the deflector slightly smaller, more like the one you used in #2,#3.

But it's your baby... and the baby of the people in this particular "club" of course!
Old March 29 2006, 06:11 AM   #41
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

I hate to say this, but "none of the above". I'm sorry Vektor, but I think the original saucer "flowed" better than this latest iteration or any of its variations.

If I were rethinking the Grandeur, the only thing I would consider changing is the deflector area to make it "flow" a bit more organically up the face of the saucer, like so:

Other than this, I think you had a jim-dandy original design beforehand.
Old March 29 2006, 07:38 AM   #42
Ptrope
Agitator

I have to chime in in support of Professor Moriarty: I also thought the previous design was better than the new one - the long, sweeping wedge that rises from the nose and out to direct your view to the nacelles was classic, and tied the various elements of the ship together much better than the current 'triangular' upper deck. I think there are too many longitudanal cuts in the current design, especially after they are bisected by the triangle (frankly, it reminds me too much of the Sovereign now). Of the current options, I prefer the deflecter in its more forward position, but the name and number also look better closer to the front (and thus, larger).

Old March 29 2006, 05:24 PM   #43
largo
Fleet Captain

option 1.
Old March 29 2006, 06:52 PM   #44
the citizen
Lieutenant Commander

Professor Moriarty said:
I hate to say this, but "none of the above". I'm sorry Vektor, but I think the original saucer "flowed" better than this latest iteration or any of its variations.

If I were rethinking the Grandeur, the only thing I would consider changing is the deflector area to make it "flow" a bit more organically up the face of the saucer, like so:

Other than this, I think you had a jim-dandy original design beforehand.
I agree, Vektor. This makes sense and I may have even mentioned that when we talked over splitting/not splitting the phaser strip up there. That's why it looked odd I think.
Old March 29 2006, 07:00 PM   #45
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon with Moriarty and Ptrope and say that I think the earlier saucer looked better.

If you do continue with your new saucer, though, I like #2 better, but neither arrangement of the name and registry. I like them the size you have them in #1; it really does make the ship seem bigger.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote