Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 18 2006, 07:40 AM   #286
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Hammer said:
1) Vektor, two to four more dorsal phasers to cover the dorsal aft section of the saucer like on the Ent-E would be good. :thumbsup:
There will be two more short phaser strips on the back of the neck section on either side of the docking bay, but I think any more than that would be overkill.

2) I also don't see any aft phasers for the stardrive or ventral phasers on the engineering hull.
I've got more phaser strips to add on various parts of the ship, I just haven't decided exactly where yet. Be patient.

3) And what about phaser strips atop the nacelles, like on the USS Venture?]
Not too keen on phaser strips on the nacelles. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a way to do it that wouldn't offend my sense of aesthetics. Maybe on the undersides of the nacelles but don't hold me to it.

4) You've got six forward torp launchers, but the aft coverage is nil?
Actually, I only have four forward torp launchers. The one below the deflector and the one on the underside of the saucer are single quantum torpedo launchers. There will most likely be another single quantorp launcher in the aft ventral region and at least one pair of photorp launchers on the back of the neck. Again, be patient.

5) Why do I get the feeling that this ship isn't going to be as long as the Sovereign or as wide as the Galaxy (given the height of the "main shuttlebay" behind the battle bridge)?
Probably because it's not as long as the Sovereign or as wide as the Galaxy. Current overall length is about 577 meters and overall width is about 243 meters. What you refer to as the "main shuttlebay" is actually a docking bay for an auxiliary vessel named the Blackfoot, which is much larger than a standard shuttle. Those doors are actually 25 meters wide by about 10 meters tall. The real main shuttle bay is at the back end of the secondary hull.

P.S. - Try to submit this to somebody who can add ship schematics for their online stories.
This is an example of where reading through the entire thread would be helpful. I am modeling this ship for a Trek fan club and have been doing so for going on four years. What exactly it winds up being used for is up to them.
Old December 18 2006, 07:41 AM   #287
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Mariner Class said:
Like that's suprising, considering this was essnetially Eaves' first design.
Say what?
Old December 18 2006, 03:32 PM   #288
Malleus
Admiral

^^^ The Ent-E was Eaves' first design: "I wanted a sleek, very fast ship with favourite elements from all the starships that had gone before, especially Bill George's Excelsior."

Vektor said:

Actually, I only have four forward torp launchers. The one below the deflector and the one on the underside of the saucer are single quantum torpedo launchers. There will most likely be another single quantorp launcher in the aft ventral region and at least one pair of photorp launchers on the back of the neck. Again, be patient.
Kinda weird how the size of one quantorp launcher is big enough to engulf two photorp launchers, but I guess that's for flexibility (at least I could imagine substituting those with two photorp launchers each in my fictional works and schematics) :thumbsup:

[At least your design is leaps and miles ahead of that backward Dawnstar-class design floating around the Internet. ]

Current overall length is about 577 meters and overall width is about 243 meters. What you refer to as the "main shuttlebay" is actually a docking bay for an auxiliary vessel named the Blackfoot, which is much larger than a standard shuttle. Those doors are actually 25 meters wide by about 10 meters tall. The real main shuttle bay is at the back end of the secondary hull.

This is an example of where reading through the entire thread would be helpful. I am modeling this ship for a Trek fan club and have been doing so for going on four years. What exactly it winds up being used for is up to them.
Fair enough

[But the only shuttlebay? That's highly unusual for a big, post-Ambassador ship, is it not? ]
Old December 22 2006, 11:09 PM   #289
Magic04
Lieutenant Commander

There does appear to be some similarity between Eaves' design and this one, although that may be a coincidence.
Then what does Congress mean?

- Nipsey Russell (1925-2005, RIP)
Magic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2006, 06:03 AM   #290
Malleus
Admiral

^^^ Actually no. I said that the Sovereign resembled the Excelsior. Vektor's design reminds me a little bit about Probert's initial Ambassador design.

[Given that the saucer isn't elliptical for greater width as the Galaxy, and given the look of its neck - even in spite of the Galaxy-like hull around the deflector dish]
Old January 6 2007, 02:18 AM   #291
Malleus
Admiral

Sorry for der bump, but this 5-star thread can't die just yet.
Old January 6 2007, 02:35 AM   #292
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^Damn! And here I was all excited to see some new renders!
Old January 6 2007, 02:37 AM   #293
blakbyrd
Rear Admiral

^ Likewise.
blakbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2007, 06:19 AM   #294
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Well, I hate to see people suffer, so here's a little something to tide y'all over.

Shiny (DivX 6.4, 3MB)
Old January 6 2007, 06:23 AM   #295
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Beautiful.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2007, 06:24 AM   #296
Ptrope
Agitator

<gurgle> Wow! :thumbsup:
Old January 6 2007, 06:58 AM   #297
Klaus
Vice Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2007, 07:42 AM   #298
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Practically perfect in every way.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2007, 08:26 AM   #299
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

It's amazing how you evoke a very retrofuturist styling here and in your Vanguard, but in very different ways. As if one is a very conservative flying saucer, and the other a wild Harley Earl rocket ship. It's the curve and angle of those pylons, and the fins. A little touch that makes all the difference in the world.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2007, 09:47 AM   #300
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

<delurk>

Vektor-
This ship is amazing! I love that animation. The folks over at the Grandeur sim are very lucky. Excellent work!
Looking forward to more,
J

</lurk>