Whitney Passes
By: T'Bonz on May 4

Retro Review: Phage
By: Michelle on May 2

The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 11 2006, 03:57 AM   #271
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

ncc74302 said:
So... I know you sound like you've pretty much settled on this turret-ish torpedo launcher design... but I just wanted to throw this out there.

You know how your and most trek torpedo bays are oriented horizontally? That is, if there are two launchers, they're usually side by side. What if you stacked them vertically and gave them more of a vertical alignment? I think especailly in the neck it might not make them look quite so bulky or stick out quite so much.
One of the main problems with the upper photorp launchers is that their line of fire is already dangerously close the lower sensor dome on the saucer section. Stacking them vertically would only crowd the dome even further. Chances are that I'm going to make some further changes to all of the torp launchers but a vertical arrangement is probably not in the cards.
Old December 11 2006, 04:11 AM   #272
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I finally got some detail work done on the nacelle pylons:

The pylons aren't finished yet; there are some additional grills and vents and such yet to add. Ditto for the warp rudders and RCS thrusters, though all of them are much further along than in the previous renderings.

I'm sure you've also noticed that the hull textures are missing. I decided to remove them for two reasons: First, keeping the UV mapping updated with every geometry change was becoming tedious; and second, I don't want to steal my own thunder when it comes time for the big reveal of this model in its finished form, so I'm going to start holding back on the photorealistic WIP images so the end result will, hopefull, still knock everyone's socks off and not just be more of the same.
Old December 11 2006, 05:20 AM   #273
Vulcan
Vice Admiral

My socks are thoroughly knocked off already. Prettyful as always.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2006, 12:27 AM   #274
AudioBridge
Captain

Vektor, I've been a huge fan of this design. Hell, I think it has the potential to look better than the 1701-D. But it's going south now, my friend. To me, you've added a lot of unneeded detail. The smooth pylons on the version earlier in this thread look much better to me. Clean, strong, etc. Just my two cents
AudioBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2006, 01:15 AM   #275
Vektor
Rear Admiral

AudioBridge said:
Vektor, I've been a huge fan of this design. Hell, I think it has the potential to look better than the 1701-D. But it's going south now, my friend. To me, you've added a lot of unneeded detail. The smooth pylons on the version earlier in this thread look much better to me. Clean, strong, etc. Just my two cents
Well, it’s not like this is a change to the design. I actually had the pylon grills in there once before a long, long time ago and I’m just now getting around to putting them back. Sorry if you think they’re going south but you’re gonna have to get used to them ‘cause they’re staying.
Old December 12 2006, 04:45 AM   #276
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Very nice!

I think it's been said before, but that looks far more like a logical sucessor to the Galaxy class than the Sovereign that we got. Lots of great cues to the refit-E as well. This is probably the nicest fan design that I've seen.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2006, 04:45 AM   #277
AudioBridge
Captain

you’re gonna have to get used to them ‘cause they’re staying.
Hey, no problem, it's your ship. The overall ship is still fantastic to me. I'm just more Matt Jeffries less ILM when it comes to starships
AudioBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2006, 05:15 AM   #278
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

AudioBridge said:
I completely disagree. The new vents add some much-needed detail to those areas. The NCC-1701 Enterprise has vents on her pylons, so it makes perfect sense that the Grandeur would have a similar feature. (In fact, the Grandeur's make more sense since they are angled towards the tail end of the ship; the Enterprise vents pointed towards each other, which wouldn't make much sense if they were supposed to serve some sort of venting function!) They fit in very nicely with the "swoop" of the pylons (in fact, they now make those "fins" on the pylons seem almost superfluous, if you ask me).

I'm glad that Vektor is keeping them, because they look just right to me. :thumbsup:
Old December 12 2006, 09:11 AM   #279
Vektor
Rear Admiral

AudioBridge said:
you’re gonna have to get used to them ‘cause they’re staying.
Hey, no problem, it's your ship. The overall ship is still fantastic to me. I'm just more Matt Jeffries less ILM when it comes to starships
Funny you should say that because these particular pylon vents were directly inspired by the Matt Jeffries TOS Enterprise. They also bear some similarity to the ones on the Sovereign class but that has more to do with the swooping shape of the pylons than anything else. Don't worry too much about me overcomplicating the design. I've already decided to steer clear of the John Eaves hyper-detailed-down-to-the-square-inch approach, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not the look I'm going for. I may even forego the usual banks of escape pods all over the hull in favor of something less obtrusive. We'll see.
Old December 12 2006, 07:44 PM   #280
Philo
Commodore

That sounds lovely, Vektor.

I'm loving the detailing. I'm all for you detailing this as much as possible, especially where it will give this ship it's true sense of scale and, dare I say, grandeur. The reason I'm not afraid of you doing an Eaves is simply because I trust your sense of composition and love your aesthetic style.
Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2006, 09:12 PM   #281
Malleus
Admiral

1) Vektor, two to four more dorsal phasers to cover the dorsal aft section of the saucer like on the Ent-E would be good. :thumbsup:

2) I also don't see any aft phasers for the stardrive or ventral phasers on the engineering hull.

3) And what about phaser strips atop the nacelles, like on the USS Venture?]

4) You've got six forward torp launchers, but the aft coverage is nil?

5) Why do I get the feeling that this ship isn't going to be as long as the Sovereign or as wide as the Galaxy (given the height of the "main shuttlebay" behind the battle bridge)?

P.S. - Try to submit this to somebody who can add ship schematics for their online stories.
Old December 18 2006, 01:24 AM   #282
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Borjis said:

I like this design BETTER than the Enterprise-E!
Me too.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2006, 01:51 AM   #283
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Like that's suprising, considering this was essnetially Eaves' first design.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2006, 02:07 AM   #284
Squiggy
King of Kings

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

UWC Defiance said:
Borjis said:

I like this design BETTER than the Enterprise-E!
Me too.
Me three. It looks like a more natural transition out of the Galaxy class
Old December 18 2006, 02:22 AM   #285
Malleus
Admiral

^^^ But I'm unsure about the size, though. The main shuttlebay at the top doesn't look big enough, for example.