Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 22 2006, 05:13 PM   #196
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

AudioBridge said:
I love the Grandeur, Vektor, but what of the Vanguard? What of the Vanguard???
Lazarus stole it.
Old September 22 2006, 05:16 PM   #197
Vektor
Rear Admiral

biotech said:
Very nice, where does the light on the pylon come from though?
From the outer edge of the warp rudder below. I'll add a little flood light housing down there eventually, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old October 10 2006, 07:01 AM   #198
Vektor
Rear Admiral

A tiny little update with a few refinements to the underside of the primary hull:

Ignore the dark line behind the neck section; it's just some polygons that haven't been deleted yet.
Old October 10 2006, 02:14 PM   #199
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Are you soliciting design comments, Vektor?
Old October 10 2006, 03:45 PM   #200
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Of course.
Old October 10 2006, 06:29 PM   #201
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

OK.

My eyes want the lower sensor dome (or whatever the doohickey is that you added to the centerpoint of the saucer) to be an "outie" instead of an "innie". You already have the wraparound scoopouts on either side of the dome assembly... surrounding the sensor dome with another scoopout seems like too much of a good thing.

Regarding the aforementioned scoopouts, I have a question: Is the purpose of these features to allow for vertical portholes on the underside of the saucer? If so, the Grandeur is much larger than I thought, because those scoopouts don't look nearly deep enough to be the height of one deck at the scale I thought your ship was designed (which is about how deep they'd need to cut into the hull in order for eye-level portholes to be accomodated).

Don't touch anything else. The Grandeur is one of the most creative and original non-canon designs I've ever seen, and you should be justifiably proud of your work.
Old October 10 2006, 06:42 PM   #202
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Professor Moriarty said:
Regarding the aforementioned scoopouts, I have a question: Is the purpose of these features to allow for vertical portholes on the underside of the saucer? If so, the Grandeur is much larger than I thought, because those scoopouts don't look nearly deep enough to be the height of one deck at the scale I thought your ship was designed (which is about how deep they'd need to cut into the hull in order for eye-level portholes to be accomodated).
The "scoopouts" immediately surrounding the sensor dome are NOT there to accommodate windows. Frankly, I'm not sure what they're for, probably part of the sensor array itself. You should also know that I intend to add some additional features in that area, including a quantorp launcher in front of the dome. What you see right now is just the start.
Old October 10 2006, 06:44 PM   #203
Ptrope
Agitator

I'll have to disagree on the point of the lower sensor dome - I like the detailing of the inverted area. It's a nice change from the typical and obvious way most 'fleet designs simply mount it at the bottom peak of the saucer.

My only quibble has been and remains the finlets on the nacelle 'wings' - I don't know what alternative there may be, but they've always looked superfluous to me, like legs to keep the model off the table, or prevent it from tipping over (oddly enough, though, similar structures on Vanguard look great, at least when they are directly vertical - they also lose something when canted).
Old October 10 2006, 07:14 PM   #204
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Ptrope said:
I like the detailing of the inverted area. It's a nice change from the typical and obvious way most 'fleet designs simply mount it at the bottom peak of the saucer.
In this case it was as much practical as aesthetic. I needed something at the base of the saucer but I was very limited on height because of the line of fire from the photorp launchers above the deflector dish.

My only quibble has been and remains the finlets on the nacelle 'wings' - I don't know what alternative there may be, but they've always looked superfluous to me, like legs to keep the model off the table, or prevent it from tipping over...
Those "finlets" were inspired by the warp rudders on the uber-Enterprise-D from All Good Things. They were a requirement of the design given to me by Capt Roop and the gang that I was not originally in favor of, but I have grown used to them on this ship to the point that it no longer looks right or correctly ballanced without them.
Old October 10 2006, 08:22 PM   #205
JJohnson
Captain

I think it looks great so far. I can't wait for it to be textured and put into space! I wonder...I'd like to ask you a question on PM.

James
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2006, 09:37 PM   #206
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

I like the scalloping around the planetary sensor array. very nice touch

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2006, 10:32 PM   #207
Starfleet Engineer
Vice Admiral

still looking good.
Starfleet Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2006, 09:48 AM   #208
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I'm finally making some progress on the secondary hull. Here's a shot of the main deflector and the photorp launcher mounted above it:

The depth-of-field effect was inspired by the photos that recently popped up online of the Trek starship miniatures just before they were sold at auction. I love the way it looks but this one rendering took over 20 minutes so I probably won't be doing it too often.

Here are a couple more:

A few things to note about the model's current state:

1. The hull textures are my usual generic placeholders and will eventually be replaced .
2. Several objects still need to have their edges chamfered to soften them a little bit. Just haven't gotten around to all of them yet.
3. If you're wondering what happened to the ring inside the deflector cowling, it will return. I was going to rebuild it today but I wound up spending almost all my time on the torpedo launchers. Speaking of which...
4. The reason the launcher on the underside of the deflector only has one tube is because it's a quantum torpedo launcher. I have some more greebles to add on either side of the tube as well. Oh, and the red glow would probably not be there unless they were preparing to fire; I just threw it in for dramatic effect.

For anyone who's interested, current polycount is a little over 207,000. That's actually down from almost 220,000 before I started optimizing the larger Sub-D objects, even with the addition of the torp launchers. With most of the optimizing left to go, I'm hopeful of keeping the finished model under 200,000, including modeled windows.
Old October 15 2006, 10:30 AM   #209
rafterman1701
Commodore

Damn! That is sweet! Can't wait until this is done. Would love a nice fancy wallpaper.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2006, 02:22 PM   #210
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Wow Very nice
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote