CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 18 2011, 05:57 AM   #1
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
My 3D model of Voyager (WIP)

I haven't shown any of my work around here yet, but I do a lot of 3D modeling. So I thought I'd post some progress renders of my current project of U.S.S. Voyager.
At this point the mesh is mostly done, and I'm working on texturing. These renders are from different stages of work, and there are still several little errors that need ironing out (such as the hard crease near the forward tractor emitter).
All feedback is welcome, positive or negative, as long as it's constructive

Rear view. I think things are looking pretty good here.

Warp nacelle. The blue lines look crap right now, but they are actually geometry of glowing cylinders, and not just a cheap texture.

Rear view, slightly older progress render.

Main deflector. Tractor emitter still needs work.

Last edited by BlobVanDam; January 18 2011 at 12:58 PM.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 06:02 AM   #2
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor
Re: My 3D model of Voyager (WIP)

WOW... that is VERY nice!
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Beautiful work!

One of your nacelles fell off though. That's what they get for puttin' 'em on hinges like that.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 09:56 AM   #4
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Beautiful work!

One of your nacelles fell off though. That's what they get for puttin' 'em on hinges like that.

I've held off duplicating the other side for now because I haven't finished the heirarchy for all of the pieces (such as the internal lights and bussard scoops).

I forgot to mention that once this is done, I intend to use it to recreate the opening sequence of the show (if I have time). I've got a lot of it started already.
Old January 18 2011, 10:22 AM   #5
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Sounds like a fun project! Your VOY seems to be very accurate, and everything looks good so far. I know the good Rick Sternbach himself lurks around these parts, so maybe he'll pop in and offer some insight as well.

Are you planning on creating the ground hover footpads as well, or just the standard-issue TV ship? Either way, I look forward to following this.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
Sounds like a fun project! Your VOY seems to be very accurate, and everything looks good so far. I know the good Rick Sternbach himself lurks around these parts, so maybe he'll pop in and offer some insight as well.

Are you planning on creating the ground hover footpads as well, or just the standard-issue TV ship? Either way, I look forward to following this.
I'm only building it to the detail needed for the opening sequence, so no tiny leggies for this one.

And I've tried my best to make it as accurate as possible to the physical model. I've got it pretty close overall, although there are a few little differences, but I've got it more accurate than the CG model was, so that's close enough for me. I've only taken some very minor creative license for the shape of the mess hall window and captain's quarters window. I made them slightly more curved to match the physical interior sets.
Old January 18 2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Starship
Commander

To much good!
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

Great detailing
Old January 18 2011, 01:51 PM   #9
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Looks great.

What modeling software are you using? Just out of curiosity.

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

I'm using 3DS Max 2010.
Old January 18 2011, 04:53 PM   #11
The Axeman
Commodore

Lovely work on the body, looks great. One thing that bugs me is the stripes seen on the warp nacelle 'blue bits', for want of a techy phrase. On the real models, is this simply a texture or are there actual modeled grid lines or indentations like a real grille? For me it always looks very phoney close up when the lines are clearly painted on, I'm much more in favour of modeling in actual ridges myself. It makes them look that much more real when lit from inside.
Old January 18 2011, 04:59 PM   #12
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

The Axeman wrote: View Post
Lovely work on the body, looks great. One thing that bugs me is the stripes seen on the warp nacelle 'blue bits', for want of a techy phrase. On the real models, is this simply a texture or are there actual modeled grid lines or indentations like a real grille? For me it always looks very phoney close up when the lines are clearly painted on, I'm much more in favour of modeling in actual ridges myself. It makes them look that much more real when lit from inside.
On the real model, it's got indented lines like a real grill. My current failed attempt that you see here is actually a clear outer shell, like glass or plastic, then glowing cylinders inside the warp nacelle, so sort of like fluorescent lights. As you can see, it didn't turn out well and just looks like a texture of blurry lines. I just don't really know what I should do with it right now to make it look good. It would be nice to come up with something that looks equally good at a distance and close up.
Old January 18 2011, 05:03 PM   #13
The Axeman
Commodore

I tried the internal glowing parts trick myslelf, it rarely works. That's why I model actual ridges into the warp grilles now, and then assign slightly different textures to both. It means I can make the raised areas less transparent so I still get the line effect but it looks good close up. Usually I give the ridges a brassy or gold tinge as well, to make them look more metallic.
Old January 18 2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

severaly well modeled Voyager there
Old January 18 2011, 09:38 PM   #15
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Beautiful work!