Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 15 2006, 04:31 AM   #31
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

Re: Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

^^They're called 'pluck and chuck' cards.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 06:13 AM   #32
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

I've loved science (especially astronomy) and science fiction ever since I can remember.

This board now has EVERYTHING. :thumbsup:
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 06:15 AM   #33
leandar
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to leandar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to leandar Send a message via Yahoo to leandar

Serious astronomy hobbyist. I've been fascinated with astronomy, especially planetary astronomy, since first studying the planets in the second grade. And that was 1979-80 or so. I just bought a 5-disc DVD set about NASA exploration and history and such so that's gonna be fun to watch.

Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average...
leandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 06:44 AM   #34
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

I've got a bachelors degree in Computer Engineering with a minor in Computer Science. I realized in my senior year that I could get the minor by only taking a single extra course, so I figured it couldn't hurt!

After I graduated, I decided not to follow engineering as a profession, but I'm still really interested in the lastest computer tech not to mention science in general. I'm also really interested in the way technology is used, especially in relation to politics... so I expect to be doing quite a bit of complaining about digital rights management in this forum!
Old March 15 2006, 07:01 AM   #35
Ptrope
Agitator

No degrees - I'm still somewhere in limbo on getting an Associate's degree in Computer Technology, decades after I started my college journey in fine arts (and actually came to computers because of art!)

My scientific background is pretty much all self-absorbed, besides the requisite courses in school, which I always loved. I read several of the science-related magazines (man, I miss the old Omni magazine!), watch a number of the shows on channels like Discovery, TLC, even History. Science is just something in my core . Oh, and my PC runs SETI@home when I'm not horsing around on the TrekBBS .
Old March 15 2006, 07:25 AM   #36
nevermore
Admiral

I'll probably drop in to see waht new gadgets are available that I'll never be able to afford. I find science fascinating when I'm exposed to it, but my degree is in Philosophy, which is kinda like theoretical science in a way. I also work in the Molecular Biology & Genetics department at Hopkins. For those who know what it means, the two researchers I work for specialize in Drosophila genetics, specifically cell-cell fusion and the Hippo signalling pathway. I'm going to have to copy edit a textbook on the former in the next several months, so I'm planning on doing a quick review of the basics so I have some idea of the terminology and context.

This forum is a great idea! I expect to learn much from you sciece types.
Old March 15 2006, 07:59 AM   #37
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Almost lifelong fascination with astronomy - every project I did in primary school was space-related. Would have liked to have made a career out of it but physics and I didn't get along (I think I'd do better at it now, actually). My degree is in agricultural science, with emphasis on the "science" - I found anatomy, physiology, genetics and microbiology especially intriguing. I often tinker with my computer (which is perhaps why I have so many hassles with it ) and if I get another I'll probably build it myself. Have been into SF for about as long as I can remember. And I like electronic gadgets. I have too many.

That'll do for starters. Looking forward to reading and learning here.
Old March 15 2006, 11:50 AM   #38
ITL
Vice Admiral

I'm just a science junkie looking for a fix....you gotta hook me up, man! You gotta!

I never went to college, and the only science/technology qualifications I have are a measly O'level (Older Brits will know what I mean) in biology, and an IT qualification that 90% of the world also has...lol.

My science passion is physics - not that I ever did physics at school, as my mathematical skills are like those of stunned badger....but damn, physics fascinates me.

Current slack-jawed wonderment thought process:
The space elevator concept.

Yummy.
Old March 15 2006, 11:54 AM   #39
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

OK, where do I start?

- MSc Management Science with Computer Science.
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Computer Science.

I do tech support for family and a few of my friends *cough*Cali*cough*...

Yup, I'm a tech-head.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 12:17 PM   #40
JAG
Vice Admiral

I have a degree, but it has nothing to do with science. I just love tech and sciences. This is gonna be great forum.
Old March 15 2006, 01:07 PM   #41
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

I watch the Discovery Channel.

_dane
Old March 15 2006, 01:12 PM   #42
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)

Hi, all... what can I say...

I got hooked on spaceflight thanks to my uncle, who worked on the IU (Instrument Unit) on the Saturn IB and Saturn V boosters for NASA. He lived on the Banana River and I got to go over as a child and watch mission launches. I was there for STS-7 (Sally Ride's first mission).

I have been a lifelong space-nut and am an amature astronomer with Binoculars, though I am looking to get a new telescope at some point (neither of my current units work worth a darn).

I am also here to worship the glory that is Naraht, but if we can all keep that to ourselves, it would be less embarassing when she rejects me

Rob+
Old March 15 2006, 01:50 PM   #43
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

While my talents lie mostly in the arts, my interests lie mostly in the sciences. I practically learned to read on Astronomy, Paleontology and Archaeology books. Those are still my favorites, but I've picked up many more over the years. Especially Physics (as in quarks, leptons, et al). Basically, I'm a Romantic with a taste for the exotic, so I've had a lifelong love for science and science fiction. I subscribe to many science magazines, including Science News, Archaeology, Smithsonian, Air & Space, Discover, Natural History and Popular Science. I also belong to The Planetary Society and The Cousteau Society. And the SABC.

Another thing that fascinates me is higher math. Which is unfortunate, because my brain can't really grasp it. I can sit for hours reading about the mysteries of pi and the Mandelbot Set and come away the feeling that it was all trying to tell me something that I'm too stupid to grasp.

No degrees, though. I'm way too Bohemian to sit in a classroom. One semester at Emerson is the extent of my higher education.

--------------------
Large In Time; Spoken Word; The RH Factor; Gee whiz!
Old March 15 2006, 03:00 PM   #44
clint g
Admiral

Well, at first i was agains thtis forum but since its here i might as well come in and enjoy it, right Right now im a freshie in college (State University of New York at Buffalo)and i am a history major, though i may switch that to Biology next year. After college im gonna spend a few years in the army, hopefully in the Aviation Branch (fat chance, but its a goal )
Old March 15 2006, 03:34 PM   #45
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I've got a Bachelors and Masters degree in environmental engineering. But, career wise I've gotten more into the civil side of things - public works, site development, etc. I'm going for my professional engineer's license next month.
I'd like to get back more on the environmental side of things, but the work is steady and pays the bills with what I'm in now.

As with many others here, I enjoy astronomy and the space program. I'm also pretty outdoorsy. I like to spend time outside and enjoy the various terrains and wildlife and plant life that's around.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote