Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 15 2006, 01:33 AM   #16
Trek Terp
Vice Admiral

Re: Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

I'm a PhD student at Berkeley working in Civil Engineering, specifically Transportation. I'm also interested in Physics, Cosmology, and Number Theory as long as I don't have to do the math
Old March 15 2006, 01:33 AM   #17
Jedikatie
Rear Admiral

Well, I don't have a science degree, just a Bachelors in Classics, but I've been fascinated by astronomy since I got my first telescope when I was nine. Used to read astronomy textbooks for fun, actually...

Trip's Not Dead avs and the Donkey Kong Chronicles

Connor (at Vulkon): Everybody hug me!!!

Day of the Dove
Jedikatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 01:34 AM   #18
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

spider1 said:
No degrees for me!

But I am Microsoft certified.

* runs and hides *
My CCNA chrushes your MCSE!!!!!!!

As fior me, Ive been a tech hound since I got my first set of legos and lincoln logs. I'v ealways tilted towards Architecture and engineering. I got detoured for about 12 years where I became a systems and network engineer. I got my CCNA, never sat for but should have gotten my CCNP but I was burne dout on the IT industry by then. My IT fields of expertise are with networking. WANs, LANs, MANs, TCP/IP, SNA, IPX, Frame Relay, ATM, ISDN, P2P, plus a smidge of Appletalk and X.25. I also got my BS in Computer Science. But like I said, I got burned out on the IT industry. So Ive found my way back towards my first true love, Architecture. Well not exactly. Im not an Architect, but in an Architectural field, and it puts food on the table and keeps a roof over our heds, so Im happy.
I couldnt wrap my head around physics or chemistry to save my life. But I am fascinated by biology, heredity, and evolution. Im also very much into military, explosives, and firearms related tech

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 01:34 AM   #19
TerriO
Writer-type human

Emh said:
TerriO said:
I've studied robotics in order to build a replica of K-9 from Dr. Who that actually is able to move and speak, built my own desktop computer from the ground up (and it works better than this laptop most of the time), and okay, basically I'm a tech-head.
Sweet! Can you build me a TARDIS soon?
Bring me the Eye of Harmony, and I'll see what I can do.
Old March 15 2006, 01:36 AM   #20
Tarantulas
Vice Admiral

I spent six years in the Navy, most of it aboard a fast attack nuclear submarine. After that I worked at the Hanford Site making plutonium for nuclear weapons. I was certified in the National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologists in 1979, so radiation and nuclear reactors are part of my experience, with a "hobby" interest in nuclear weapons. Licensed as an amateur (ham) radio operator in 1978. I also was a member of the Planetary Society many years ago, until they started advocating only robotic space exploration and no manned spaceflight. Before that I was a member of the old L5 Society. I moved to Arizona in 1986 and now I work as a website designer at a nuclear power plant. When I get home I work on websites and discussion boards, so I have all the software and tools to do that stuff. I'm in the Sheriff's Posse, and our group is all ham radio operators. Most of us are interested in the Global Positioning System, and we are using a system called APRS to be able to track our location on the computer, for use in search and rescue and just playing around.

I've always loved gadgets and goodies, and having grown up in a zinc-plated, vacuum tube culture, it's a good thing I had had no idea how cool life in the 21st century was going to be, or it would have been 40 years of extreme impatience waiting to get here.

Having watched Star Trek when it first came out in the 1960s, I consider myself an original "Trekkie" - none of this newfangled "Trekker" nonsense for me. And I have a Motorola Razr phone that when you flip it open and blur your eyes and look at it sideways, it kinda looks almost like one of those...well...KIRK TO ENTERPRISE ONE TO BEAM UP!

"America is not what's wrong with the world."
- Donald Rumsfeld

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it."
- Jean-Francois Revel
Tarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 01:36 AM   #21
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Oh, right, I forgot to introduce myself.

I'm a senior at Earlham College, finishing up my Bachelor Degree in Physics & Astronomy, which is a misnomer because there isn't any Astronomy involved in the major! After I graduate, I'm going to panic and try to figure out what to do with my life. Possibly the Peace Corps. Interesting turn of events, I know.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 01:44 AM   #22
Starfleet Engineer
Vice Admiral

A lifelong interest in human spaceflight and aerospace eningeering.
Starfleet Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 01:53 AM   #23
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Greetings all! It's great to finally have this forum... I think we owe special thanks to FatherRob for suggesting it.

I'm a historian and not a scientist, but I've been fascinated by space and astronomy ever since I was small. Seeing Apollo 13 reawakened that interest for me.

I wrote my undergraduate thesis on "The Rhetorical Meanings of the Apollo Program" and hope to continue doing research on the history of the space program. My main interest is in the social and cultural history of the American space program between 1958 and 1970. I'm very interested in the people who came together to form NASA, how they got where they did, how the organizational culture of NASA developed, and so on. And I hero-worship quite a few mission controllers!
Naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 02:07 AM   #24
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

TerriO said:
Y'know, the writer in me wants to correct that subject line.

You can't go wrong with a good Austin Powers quote...

:thumbsup:
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 02:08 AM   #25
TerriO
Writer-type human

^Which was why I didn't correct it.
Old March 15 2006, 02:10 AM   #26
Gertch
Admiral

I went 3 out of 5 years (co-op program) at Northeastern University. I started in Criminal Justice and switched to Mechanical Engineering after the first semester since I didn't like the stuff the "humanities" were teaching. Plus I needed more meat and potatoes.

I co-oped at a defense contractor in the early 80's and worked on what would be later referred to as the "Star Wars" plan advanced by President Reagan. But we knew it as the HOE program. Thats also when I bought my first REAL calculator, a programmable TI. I needed it to calculate the MOI of the unit we were making. It was tedious but kind of fun. When they finally did a physical test, my theoretical result differed by only .01%. In the scheme of things it really doesn't matter, but I was happy with myself.

Despite working 3 jobs I just couldn't stay in school and left near the end of my 3rd year.

So I don't have a degree but I still have a lot of engineering books from the early 80's!

Yeah, I'm normally not this long winded. Sorry.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 02:25 AM   #27
Kaitz
Vice Admiral

I'm a sophomore biology major at a small, liberal arts college, aiming for my BA and perhaps graduate school in biology. This summer I'm going to be interning at a major research hospital in Ohio, performing research regarding the development of stem cells into insulin-producing beta cells. I'm interested chiefly in cellular and molecular biology but also evolution and many other areas that I have yet to formally explore.

And space science is incredibly cool. Go NASA.
Old March 15 2006, 02:38 AM   #28
Ohappydagger
Rear Admiral

Hi. I'm a science geek too... got a BS in wildlife biology, working on a second BS in nursing... I like squishy squirmy sciences such as zoology, ecology, and physiology. I've worked as a medical lab tech and an agricultural entomology lab tech, but I have since quit all that to pursue my nursing training full-time. I look forward to nerding around with you goobers here in our special new forum.
Old March 15 2006, 03:50 AM   #29
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

electronic engineering, but, I nearly failed. I kept falling asleep evertime someone put a schematic in front of me.

But, I do love to watch the Science Channel!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2006, 04:17 AM   #30
Akiraprise

I've always had in interest in space and the technology of the shuttles. I also like to read up on the newest gadgets that are coming out; wishing that I was good at inventing things. Although I did take apart my Razr cell phone without the proper tools and put it back together in working order. I just had to see what was in such a small case.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote