Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 17 2008, 02:09 AM   #166
Sulu's Lover
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

High School Dropout here..............................I have no degrees......Can I still hang?

Rob
Sulu's Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2008, 02:17 PM   #167
TerriO
Writer-type human

Of course! There are a lot of brainiacs here, as you've probably noticed, but they can be fairly well-mannered most of the time.

Never be afraid to ask questions. Remember, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome aboard!
Old April 21 2008, 06:26 PM   #168
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Kaitz wrote: View Post
I'm a sophomore biology major at a small, liberal arts college, aiming for my BA and perhaps graduate school in biology. This summer I'm going to be interning at a major research hospital in Ohio, performing research regarding the development of stem cells into insulin-producing beta cells. I'm interested chiefly in cellular and molecular biology but also evolution and many other areas that I have yet to formally explore.

And space science is incredibly cool. Go NASA.
As a diabetic, I can only say, "GOD BLESS YOU!" I hope you find a cure for us.
As for me, I had to leave college after 3 years because working 2 jobs and an internship wasn't enough. The Financial Director told that if I was a minority or a female there was plenty of scholarship money, but none for a white male.
Later on in life, I worked with sci-fi and Star Trek conventions. I met some wonderful people from the show and movies. Some became friends and even helped me with sponsoring the doomed StarFleet Academy series. (That's right, it wasn't just a rumor.) After that I became depressed and disillusioned, thus my hatred of DS9 and Paramount. (It shoulda been MY show there!)
Now with the new Star Trek movie coming out, I ran into this board and am re-acquainting myself with Trek and fellow fans once again.

Last edited by Sector 7; April 21 2008 at 06:36 PM.
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2008, 06:38 PM   #169
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Sulu's Lover wrote: View Post
High School Dropout here..............................I have no degrees......Can I still hang?

Rob
You can hang... always.. come on over. Welcome to PleasantvilleBBS, where Trek never changes and woe to those who try!
Old August 8 2008, 06:30 PM   #170
Uplink
Ensign

Hello everyone! I'm a former premium member and longtime lurker. Didn't see a members introduction thread in General or anywhere else, but Sci-Tech is my favorite forum anyway (along with Lost, BSG). I lost interest in Trek a few years ago, in favor of hard-SciFi, but I still enjoy a late night episode of Voyager or Enterprise.

I'm looking forward to the movie, and possible franchise revival, and with chatting here with you all!
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 10:43 AM   #171
think
Rear Admiral

View think's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to think Send a message via AIM to think Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to think Send a message via Yahoo to think

So, there is a difference about the size of thought itself such that myself includes oneself and here is the sentence that will introduce me as to make one think... maybe?

Oh neat I am a Cadet I like that.,

Last edited by think; September 2 2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: 1. Cadet label 2. see if I can edit second time
think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 12:38 PM   #172
Hamstar
Cadet

Heidy ho!
Well a friend of mine started to post here, and invited me here.

I’m a modder…

Scratchbuilder…

I like to draw…

Then Photoshop my scribbles…

I was a Klingon for my wedding…

(Married, going on 10 years. No kids)

I have several diplomas, only a handful are used in my actual career.

Some of my friends are silly

“I LIKE STUOOP!”

I’ve spent waaaay too much setting out my Master Mind in COV

I think Piccard was the better Captain.

The cake is a lie

Which is one more reason pie is better.

Nice to meet ya!

Peace ~n~ Kittens
Hamstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 03:42 AM   #173
SupAJ1M
Lieutenant

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SupAJ1M

supaj1m
SupAJ1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 06:37 AM   #174
yellowdingo
Lieutenant

Published poet and short story writer with loyalties to a long dead Commonwealth that has little similarity to the corrupted tyranny that stands in its place. Second class Ego Maniac (if I had been a first class ego-maniac there would be a statue to me in every city-state under my rule).
yellowdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 03:37 PM   #175
TrekGuide.com
Fleet Captain

I am a "retired" newspaper editor (since "journalism career" became an oxymoron sometime in the middle of last year). My journalism degree now qualifies me to ask important and probing questions (e.g., "Do you want fries with that?").

My interests can best be summed up in my Web sites listed in my signature.
TrekGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:44 PM   #176
TerriO
Writer-type human

Welcome aboard, everyone!
Old April 8 2009, 10:04 PM   #177
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

I'm recently graduated with a Master's in Theoretical Physics. I specialized in general relativity, quantum field theory and cosmology, and spent most of my final year studying various aspects of black holes. I'm also interested in various aspects of Unix and computer programming, so yeah, I'm a pretty big techie...
FlyingLemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 06:35 AM   #178
think
Rear Admiral

View think's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to think Send a message via AIM to think Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to think Send a message via Yahoo to think

FlyingLemons wrote: View Post
I'm recently graduated with a Master's in Theoretical Physics. I specialized in general relativity, quantum field theory and cosmology, and spent most of my final year studying various aspects of black holes. I'm also interested in various aspects of Unix and computer programming, so yeah, I'm a pretty big techie...
one question FlyingLemons: Why is it called "Theoretical Physics" what does that mean? I always thought physics was the application of theories?

any way welcome to the board my story is quite different but I like to think or should I describe it as to tell myself that I am actually thinking about something important sometimes.

Hamstar: woe Klingon wedding woe. and welcome to this corner of the trek desk.
Old May 21 2009, 02:49 AM   #179
Rob Hal
Vice Admiral

think wrote: View Post
one question FlyingLemons: Why is it called "Theoretical Physics" what does that mean? I always thought physics was the application of theories?
Theoretical physics tends to deal in the abstract side of physics; it focuses mainly on the mathematics rather than on the experimental or the observational parts of the discipline. Examples of topics of study in theoretical physics might be general relativity, cosmology, quantum field theory, etc... Just as an example of how theoretical physics is sometimes perceived: at my institution, the Theoretical Physics program falls under the Applied Mathematics department rather than the Physics and Astronomy department.

While I'm here, I guess I should introduce (reintroduce?) myself... I'm a long time member here, but haven't been around for a good five years or so. Some of the long-time members may remember me as the TNG forum moderator back in the day. I'll be stopping by the forum here from time to time to see what's being discussed.

I'm currently a doctoral candidate in theoretical astrophysics, so I have a fairly good physics knowledge (just don't ask me to start naming constellations in the sky... I'm not an observer!)
Old July 5 2009, 04:37 PM   #180
Urge
Lieutenant Commander

Hello.

Im a dropout from my university, but I was halfway on the masters-degree before it finaly got to boring. I studied society-planning, a subject that mixes the most boring parts of state-science, sociology, social-antropology, philosophy, and some other stuff into a mix that..... Well, Im not good at lying, so if I should ever try to find a job that my education is relevant for (Apparently, planners are supposed to work within the byraucracy, give guidance to municipal-leaders, and some other areas) and my future employer asks me what I know that is usefull for him or here, the answer will be "nothing"

Perhaps I should have studied something cosmology or physics instead? To bad I stink in math.... Or at least did so in college and high-school. Im thinking about trying again, and see if I can do better this time.

I also sometimes try to write science fiction, but I tend to stop in the midle of the story, probably because I realise that my writing has to many weaknesses.
Urge is offline   Reply With Quote