Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 23 2007, 09:07 PM   #136
TerriO
Writer-type human

Re: Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

But it's pinned, so it's not like it's going to drop off the page if nobody posts for a while.
Old January 23 2007, 09:28 PM   #137
scottydog
Admiral

View scottydog's Twitter Profile

kipron said:
I'm a 1st year PhD student working on refined methods for inertial electrostatic confinement fusion.

The dream is to give ITER a run for its money. We'll see.
What in God's name does that mean? Can you explain to the average layperson what exactly you are doing? Thanks!
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2007, 09:28 PM   #138
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

TerriO said:
But it's pinned, so it's not like it's going to drop off the page if nobody posts for a while.

I thought it would be fun reference to technology, just came to mind. I'm sorry now
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2007, 09:41 PM   #139
TerriO
Writer-type human

JonathonWally said:
TerriO said:

I thought it would be fun reference to technology, just came to mind. I'm sorry now
It's okay, that last sentence about the thread being dead just caught my attention, that's all.
Old March 7 2007, 04:20 PM   #140
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

kipron said:
inertial electrostatic confinement fusion

That's some great technobabble for a ship malfunction...

The transporters are down Captain! The inertial electrostatic confinement fusion sensors are offline!
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2007, 01:19 AM   #141
Aldosgirl333
Lieutenant Commander

Hello!

I'm a second year undergrad whose major oftens varies.

I absolutely love mathematics! I have been known to try to combine the theory of " volume of a worm hole" and the theory of holes on graphs using calculus. I do believe that when holes appear in an equation, it can explain the circumstances that create worm holes. Though I don't know if anyone else has ever heard of this???
Aldosgirl333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2007, 01:49 AM   #142
Neopeius
Admiral

Aldosgirl333 said:
Hello!

I absolutely love mathematics! I have been known to try to combine the theory of " volume of a worm hole" and the theory of holes on graphs using calculus. I do believe that when holes appear in an equation, it can explain the circumstances that create worm holes. Though I don't know if anyone else has ever heard of this???
Never. In my life.

What kind of holes are you talking about?

And welcome to the forum!

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2007, 04:30 AM   #143
TerriO
Writer-type human

Aldosgirl333 said:
Hello!

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I'm following it properly. Please, feel free to elaborate!

And welcome aboard!
Old May 19 2007, 03:43 AM   #144
Kurtman
Lieutenant

Hello!

I'm just completing my first year as a gymnasium student in Sweden. If all goes as it should, I will be going to Helsinki for a master's degree in Computer Science in a few years.
Kurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2007, 06:10 PM   #145
TerriO
Writer-type human

Welcome aboard, Kurtman!
Old June 21 2007, 04:03 AM   #146
Powdertoast
Ensign

Hidey ho! I'm an ex-system admin, English major, technical writing hopeful, and lover of sci-fi/fantasy. I ran a BBS for over 20 years in various forms, love roleplaying games but haven't played one seriously in entirely too many moons, and have very wide taste in music. Additionally, I just got married, had a week-long cruise in the western Caribbean, have four dogs, four cats, two finches, and six chickens in and around the house.... I think that's a good overview.

I'd say thanks for having me here, but that carries kind of a funny implication ...
Old June 21 2007, 04:41 AM   #147
TerriO
Writer-type human

Welcome aboard, Powdertoast!
Old August 1 2007, 07:08 PM   #148
Nomad V
Fleet Captain

I'm a 49 year old with a beautiful wife, a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. I have a BS in Earth and Planetary Science with a concentration in geology and a minor in engineering. I'm just starting on a Master's degree in Engineering Management. I've spent several years working in the petroleum business as a well site geologist in the Gulf of Mexico area and here in the northeastern USA. After the oil business crash in 85 I moved to DC and worked as a geologist and geophysicist doing environmental work and eventually I started working with unexploded ordnance (UXO) performing detection and mapping. The UXO work has allowed me to visit Europe several times, live in Maui for months while working on Kaho'olawe Island, and has allowed me to help with landmine issues in Africa and Southeast Asia. However, now that I have a family the world trotting to the garden spots had to stop. So, I moved home to the Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands and now I'm working with a non-profit on geoenvironmental issues.
Old August 1 2007, 07:37 PM   #149
TerriO
Writer-type human

Welcome aboard, Nomad V!

That is a very interesting career you've had. I hope you find the forum as fascinating as your experience.
Old August 16 2007, 06:06 AM   #150
cyph
Captain

View cyph's Twitter Profile

Electrical engineering representing

Bustin reversed bias caps all day, ya dig?

Sometimes I make pictures
cyph is offline   Reply With Quote