RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,457
Members: 24,719
Currently online: 521
Newest member: victoria

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 15 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain
 
TheMasterOfOrion's Avatar
 
Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

The Iranian state's semi-official Fars News Agency, Iran sent a second monkey to the orbit, brought it back to the Earth and retrieved the animal. Iran's Islamic Clerics and Amadinejad wants to send humans into space by 2019 and the Islamic republic has been ramping up its human space flight efforts in recent years. It fired its first satellite in 2009, is researching aeropsace, nuclear tech, satellite tech and a year later launched a capsule carried by the Kavoshgar-3 rocket containing a rat, turtles and worms, said Fars. Of course the claim is all of this stuff is purely "scientific" research.
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

It's as much scientific research as ours was. Really, if they wanted to just develop rocket technology for missiles, they'd develop rocket technology for missiles (as they're doing anyway). Launching into space is a prestige thing to show they're on the world's stage.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Did the iranians have matching monkeys this time?
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
Rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

I fail to see the necessity for subjecting poor animals to that torture. Surely, nowadays you can just as well do some tests with an empty rocket and measure with sensors in the cabin whether the conditions there would be lethal for a human or not.
Just imagine how scared the poor little chap must have been during this ordeal.

If they really must make tests with living beings then they should pick volunteers. Those could at least decide their own fates. Plus it'd be a more realistic test situation than with a 5 lbs monkey. It'd cost more fuel but that's not exactly a thing that country is short of.
__________________
Down with boredom! Post in the Lounges!
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 12:11 PM   #5
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Funny how inflation and sanctions has broken the bank, but Iran is still blowing coin on outer space. Probably so they can drop their bombs on the world, like rocks from a highway overpass ...
__________________
It Takes Two.™
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Spirit of Christmas Present wrote: View Post
I fail to see the necessity for subjecting poor animals to that torture. Surely, nowadays you can just as well do some tests with an empty rocket and measure with sensors in the cabin whether the conditions there would be lethal for a human or not.
Just imagine how scared the poor little chap must have been during this ordeal.

If they really must make tests with living beings then they should pick volunteers. Those could at least decide their own fates. Plus it'd be a more realistic test situation than with a 5 lbs monkey. It'd cost more fuel but that's not exactly a thing that country is short of.
First the mars one thread, now this one.

Do you enjoy propagandising politically correct slogans that also happen to be completely unproven?
In this case, you put the equal sign between a monkey and a human being, assume a monkey is conscious, etc.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
Rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

a monkey very certainly is conscious. And doubtlessly it can feel fear. If you don't feel pity for a helpless creature - *shrug*
__________________
Down with boredom! Post in the Lounges!
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Spirit of Christmas Present wrote: View Post
I fail to see the necessity for subjecting poor animals to that torture. Surely, nowadays you can just as well do some tests with an empty rocket and measure with sensors in the cabin whether the conditions there would be lethal for a human or not.
Just imagine how scared the poor little chap must have been during this ordeal.

If they really must make tests with living beings then they should pick volunteers. Those could at least decide their own fates. Plus it'd be a more realistic test situation than with a 5 lbs monkey. It'd cost more fuel but that's not exactly a thing that country is short of.
First the mars one thread, now this one.

Do you enjoy propagandising politically correct slogans that also happen to be completely unproven?
In this case, you put the equal sign between a monkey and a human being, assume a monkey is conscious, etc.
Monkeys are conscious. This is not a controversial statement.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Solstice wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Spirit of Christmas Present wrote: View Post
I fail to see the necessity for subjecting poor animals to that torture. Surely, nowadays you can just as well do some tests with an empty rocket and measure with sensors in the cabin whether the conditions there would be lethal for a human or not.
Just imagine how scared the poor little chap must have been during this ordeal.

If they really must make tests with living beings then they should pick volunteers. Those could at least decide their own fates. Plus it'd be a more realistic test situation than with a 5 lbs monkey. It'd cost more fuel but that's not exactly a thing that country is short of.
First the mars one thread, now this one.

Do you enjoy propagandising politically correct slogans that also happen to be completely unproven?
In this case, you put the equal sign between a monkey and a human being, assume a monkey is conscious, etc.
Monkeys are conscious. This is not a controversial statement.
Indeed, the statement is not controversial.
The problem is, monkeys are NOT consicous. They fail to pas even the mirror test - which is merely the starting point.
And no amount of antropomorfizing will change this.

Also, the life of a human being is most definitely more valuable than the life of a monkey.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Solstice wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post

First the mars one thread, now this one.

Do you enjoy propagandising politically correct slogans that also happen to be completely unproven?
In this case, you put the equal sign between a monkey and a human being, assume a monkey is conscious, etc.
Monkeys are conscious. This is not a controversial statement.
Indeed, the statement is not controversial.
The problem is, monkeys are NOT consicous. They fail to pas even the mirror test - which is merely the starting point.
And no amount of antropomorfizing will change this.
Wrong.

Also, the life of a human being is most definitely more valuable than the life of a monkey.
No one argued otherwise, but you seem to equate "less valuable" with "worthless."
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Solstice wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Solstice wrote: View Post

Monkeys are conscious. This is not a controversial statement.
Indeed, the statement is not controversial.
The problem is, monkeys are NOT consicous. They fail to pas even the mirror test - which is merely the starting point.
And no amount of antropomorfizing will change this.
Wrong.
Here you go:
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/i...l.pbio.1001024
A synthesis of several papers.

Also, the life of a human being is most definitely more valuable than the life of a monkey.
No one argued otherwise, but you seem to equate "less valuable" with "worthless."
Spirit of Christmas Present argued 'otherwise' in her initial post I responded to.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

And yet...

Seems it doesn't occur to you that the mark test itself may be unreliable for determining self-awareness.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Solstice wrote: View Post
And yet...

Seems it doesn't occur to you that the mark test itself may be unreliable for determining self-awareness.
Of course it's not reliable. That's why it's viewed as reliable by all behavioural scientists, etc - as their papers show.

And the paper you linked to in the quoted post is supposed to prove monkeys posses consciousness? Really?
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:58 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Solstice wrote: View Post
And yet...

Seems it doesn't occur to you that the mark test itself may be unreliable for determining self-awareness.
Of course it's not reliable. That's why it's viewed as reliable by all behavioural scientists, etc - as their papers show.
Even young children fail the mirror test, so one would imagine behavioral scientists should be aware of its limitations.

"Fails the mirror test == not self-aware" is a pretty bold assertion.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Iranians in space? Islamic Republic's 2nd rhesus monkey into space

Solstice wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Solstice wrote: View Post
And yet...

Seems it doesn't occur to you that the mark test itself may be unreliable for determining self-awareness.
Of course it's not reliable. That's why it's viewed as reliable by all behavioural scientists, etc - as their papers show.
Even young children fail the mirror test, so one would imagine behavioral scientists should be aware of its limitations.

"Fails the mirror test == not self-aware" is a pretty bold assertion.
One accepted as true by the scientific community - based on the available evidence.

And yes, children up to 18 months fail the mirror test.
You don't think you were born having all the faculties of an adult human available, yes? This applies to consciousness, as well.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
human space flight, icbms, launch vehicle, middle east, space

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.