RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,712
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 564
Newest member: fanficfan

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 6 2007, 09:24 PM   #76
Csalem
Commodore

Re: The Doctor Who primer

It seems a lot of people are getting into Who these days. Wonder if we could petition them to rename the board...
Old August 9 2007, 02:55 PM   #77
Samson88B
Lieutenant Commander

Daniel_Fullard said:
Bookwyrme said:
Thanks!

I've been picking up episodes from past Dr. Who's in a hit or miss fashion, and that means that I'm watching the first doctor one week and the sixth the next, so it's nice to have a good overview that is also fairly spoiler-free to help me fit things into some sort of framework.
I wouldnt worry too much about watching them in any sort of order or framework. The only ones Id say you must watch it order are Trail of a Timelord Season, Key To Time Season and Season 1 of the new run.
Actually, Jon Pertwee's last season has a loose story arc concerning Metebelis 3, and Tom Baker's first season (except for Robot) deals with the space station Nerva.
Old August 22 2007, 11:25 PM   #78
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

V'ger said: The Doctor, in order to bring an end to the war, presumabely destroyed both Gallifrey and the Dalek fleet, an incident which also caused him to regenerate into the Ninth Doctor
Really?

Is there anything canonical that says the Time War was responsible for the 8th Doctor's regeneration into the 9th?

I don't recall that particular regeneration being dealt with at all. I always wondered why. Do TPTB just think it's not important (I can't imagine why they would), or do they have something big planned that's yet to come?

I mean, it's the only regeneration we've never seen. There must be a reason why. What is it?

(I mean, even if Paul McGann refused to do a regen scene, they could get around that, like the 6th>7th scene in "Time and the Rani" where Sylvester McCoy just wore a Colin Baker wig!)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2007, 11:29 PM   #79
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

It's not mentioned on screen, but it's assumed by most that the Time War is the result of the regeneration. The reason why it wasn't shown is because Davies didn't want the audience to get use to McGann and then five, ten minutes suddenly switch to Eccleston for reasons a new audience wouldn't understand right away (and find it off putting).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2007, 11:32 PM   #80
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

So does this mean we'll never know?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old August 22 2007, 11:37 PM   #81
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Probably not during Davies' tenure but who knows what the future will hold?

Old August 22 2007, 11:41 PM   #82
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I don't see why the often used "new viewers" argument would have any meaning. It obviously didn't prevent the 7th>8th regeneration in the TV-movie...

I mean, a regeneration scene would have only needed Paul McGann for a minute or two. How difficult could that possibly have been for "new viewers" to deal with? Some of these "new viewers" might even think that Eccleston's Doctor is the FIRST, since nobody was ever shown to regenerate into him. That's obviously not the true intent...

... or is it?
Old August 22 2007, 11:42 PM   #83
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Never? Never is a pretty strong word.
I would say unlikely as long as RTD is in charge.
Old August 22 2007, 11:46 PM   #84
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Babaganoosh said:
I don't see why the often used "new viewers" argument would have any meaning. It obviously didn't prevent the 7th>8th regeneration in the TV-movie...

I mean, a regeneration scene would have only needed Paul McGann for a minute or two. How difficult could that possibly have been for "new viewers" to deal with? Some of these "new viewers" might even think that Eccleston's Doctor is the FIRST, since nobody was ever shown to regenerate into him. That's obviously not the true intent...

... or is it?
Funny you mention that. McCoy, himself, has said in interviews that it was a bad idea to have himself involved in the movie for the reasons Davies has stated.

That said, I agree with you 100%. Even just a few minutes of McGann would have bee nice. Show The Doctor escaping the Time War and after a tearful soliloquy, he regenerates. For the new viewers, it would be a nice mystery for them to ponder for the season. Oh, well.

Old August 22 2007, 11:53 PM   #85
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

When was the first time in the show (it's been awhile since I've watched) that it was confirmed that 1) this is the same Doctor after all, and 2) exactly which Doctors we were seeing? Meaning, that Eccleston was the 9th, Tennant the 10th, etc.
Old August 22 2007, 11:55 PM   #86
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

In School Reunion, Tennant says to Sarah Jane, "I've regenerated a half dozen times since I last saw you."

So, at least it does confirm that it's the same Doctor, and to me, that confirms he's Doctor #10 (10-6=4...or Tom Baker.)
Old August 22 2007, 11:55 PM   #87
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

School Reunion is the first time, when The Doctor tells Sarah Jane that it has been half a dozen regenerations since they last met (sans The Five Doctors).

Old August 22 2007, 11:57 PM   #88
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Too Late! Bwah hah hah! Got there first! Bwah hah hah!

*Zoom sees what he has actually accomplished...and realizes what a big dork he is being...and slinks off....*
Old August 22 2007, 11:57 PM   #89
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Damn!

Old December 13 2007, 08:08 PM   #90
Trekzilla3k
Lieutenant Commander

VERY well done and concise
I've been a fan of The Doctor's since the late 70's, and am absolutely loving the new series!!