Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 28 2006, 10:41 AM   #31
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: The Doctor Who primer

Good point.

Theme composed by Ron Grainer

1963-1980, theme arranged and realised by Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop

1980-1985, theme arranged and realised by Peter Howell and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

1986, theme arranged by Dominic Glynn. Not certain if he did it at the workshop, but it seems likely.

1987-89, theme arranged by Keff McCulloch. Again, not certain if he did it at the workshop, but it seems likely.

1996, arranged by John Debney. Fully orchestrated. By some Canadians, probably.

2005 (series), arranged by Murray Gold, based on the original Derbyshire version. This omitted the "middle 8".

2005- present, beginning with The Christmas Invasion, arranged by Murray Gold, and performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. Restores the middle 8, to much rejoicing.
Old June 28 2006, 02:46 PM   #32
Ariadne
Vice Admiral

^^ What's the middle 8?
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2006, 06:35 PM   #33
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

It is the triumphant bit that is probably most prominant in the McCoy theme.

This bit:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/ram/2006theme.asx
Old June 28 2006, 06:49 PM   #34
Ariadne
Vice Admiral

^^ Oh, I like that bit.
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2006, 11:36 PM   #35
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Tomalak said:
1986, theme arranged by Dominic Glynn. Not certain if he did it at the workshop, but it seems likely.

1987-89, theme arranged by Keff McCulloch. Again, not certain if he did it at the workshop, but it seems likely.
Only Delia and Peter worked for the Radiophonic Workshop, actually; all of the theme composers since then have been freelance.
Old June 29 2006, 12:10 AM   #36
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old August 11 2006, 06:15 PM   #37
Bookwyrme
Ensign

Thanks!

I've been picking up episodes from past Dr. Who's in a hit or miss fashion, and that means that I'm watching the first doctor one week and the sixth the next, so it's nice to have a good overview that is also fairly spoiler-free to help me fit things into some sort of framework.
Bookwyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2006, 08:27 PM   #38
V\'ger
Rear Admiral

A couple of notes on Doctor Who "Expanded Universe" fiction:

-The canonicity of these, like that of Star Wars, is often debated. Wikipedia states their canon is 'unclear'. However it is worth nothing that several new series writers, including RTD himself, have written for the novel and audio lines.

-There have been several Doctor Who novel lines, although some are currently defunct. These include:

-The Target Novelizations, which adapted almost all serials of the show into novel form. They ceased production in the early 90s, with only the Douglas Adams and Eric Saward Dalek stories unfinished.

-The New Adventures, which featured the adventures of the Seventh Doctor post-SURVIVAL. Published by Virgin. The line also includes one Eigth Doctor novel and after the license was lost the line continued for some time afterwards featuring the adventures of novel-original companion Benny Summerfield.

-The Missing Adventures. Several novels that take place between classic series serials, many of which feature sequels to television stories.

-BBC Eigth Doctor Adventures, which continue the adventures of the Eigth Doctor between the TV movie and Rose.

-BBC Ninth Doctor adventures, featuring adventures set during the first season of the new series.

-BBC Tenth Doctor Adventures, featuring adventures set at this point during the second season.

-BBC Past Doctor Adventures, which serve the same function as the Missing Adventures.

I'll post a writeup on the audios and comics later.
V\'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2006, 08:35 PM   #39
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

V'ger said:
-BBC Ninth Doctor adventures, featuring adventures set during the first season of the new series.

-BBC Tenth Doctor Adventures, featuring adventures set at this point during the second season.
These aren't two separate lines- it's one series called "New Series Adventures." The (Gallifreyan) numbers on the spine confirm that all nine published to-date are a single series.
[/pedant]
Old August 29 2006, 01:28 PM   #40
V\'ger
Rear Admiral

^Thanks for the correction

In the late 90s, the company Big Finish got the license to create Doctor Who audio dramas-basically sound-only serials. The audio dramas feature cast members from the show, as well as several other notable British actors (David Tennant made his WHO debut in the audios, in fact). However they are mainly limited to the 80's incarnation of the show (Tom Baker refuses to do them, and his predecessors are all deceased, although Jon Pertwee did do similar projects in the 90s), with Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvestor McCoy, as well as Paul Mcgann who appeared briefly in the 1996 TV movie. Some people believe it's sort of a 'second chance' for actors like Baker and McCoy, whose eras were short-lived and frought with all sorts of behind-the-scenes drama, as well as Mcgann, who only got one TV movie. (Baker has probably benefitted the most from the audios in esteem among fans). In addition the audios have featured "What if" series (Unbound) and series dedicated to the Doctor's enemies the Daleks, Cybermen, companions Sarah Jane Smith, the planet Gallifrey, and an upcoming Davros series.

Another company, BBV, also publishes audios related to Doctor Who, but not referencing the Doctor himself, who is licensed to BF. These often feature cast from WHO but are not officially the Doc and co....they also feature monsters such as the Zygons, Wrynn, Sontarans and Krynoids, villains such as the Rani, and novel creations such as Faction Paradox and Iris Wildthyme.

BBV has also published some VHS and DVD series, such as the Stranger featuring Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant, the Auton trilogy and several others.
Old September 5 2006, 02:50 PM   #41
Daniel_Fullard
Fleet Captain

Bookwyrme said:
Thanks!

I've been picking up episodes from past Dr. Who's in a hit or miss fashion, and that means that I'm watching the first doctor one week and the sixth the next, so it's nice to have a good overview that is also fairly spoiler-free to help me fit things into some sort of framework.
I wouldnt worry too much about watching them in any sort of order or framework. The only ones Id say you must watch it order are Trail of a Timelord Season, Key To Time Season and Season 1 of the new run.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably"
Daniel_Fullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2006, 01:58 PM   #42
V\'ger
Rear Admiral

A bit more on Sarah Jane Smith and K-9, in preparation for "School Reunion".

Sarah Jane meets the Doctor (Page from Shillpages)

Sarah Jane first met the Doctor in his Third incarnation when she was an undercover reporter in "The Time Warrior". She found herself unexpectedly transported to medieval times, and initially suspected the Doctor was behind the mischeif. However, she grew to trust him and joined him in the fight against the Sontaran Linx and his adversaries.
Eventually upon the return to present-day Earth, she started to hang around with UNIT and the Doctor. With the third Doctor she fought Dinosaurs, Daleks, and Ice Warriors. On an adventure on Metebellis Three, the Doctor was forced to regenerate and became the fourth Doctor.

The Third Doctor regenerates

With the Fourth Doctor, Sarah Jane's trips in the TARDIS became far more frequent (She also travelled for a time with UNIT doctor Harry Sullivan). She encountered Sontarans and Daleks again, and met enemies such as the Wirrn, Cybermen, Sutekh, Krynoids, and the Zygons.

Sarah Jane and the Fourth Doctor

Eventually, after being posessed by the being Eldrad (In the Hand Of Fear) Sarah Jane had a minor tantrum and packed her bags-but she didn't mean it. However, the Doctor received a summons from Gallifrey, and Sarah couldn't come along...so he had to leave her behind. Unfortunately, he left her in the wrong place.

However, the Doctor didn't forget Sarah Jane. He built her a new K-9 unit, based on the Doctor's previous two models which served as companions. The K-9 helped her solve a mystery involving a cult.

A few years later, Sarah Jane, despite K-9's warning, was sucked into a time scoop and deposited into the Death zone on Gallifrey, where she teamed up with the Third Doctor once again. She also met the Master for the first time during this adventure and once again confronted the Cybermen. She also met the Doctor's other incarnations, but was somewhat confused and didn't really have a proper reunion with the Fifth Doctor. She later was returned to her own time.

In the years that followed, K-9 fell into disrepair and Sarah Jane continued her investigations. A few WHO books and audios continue her adventures, however their canonicity remains in dispute (Especially her adventures with the Seventh Doctor in the DWM comic strips and Bullet time).

It's been thirty years since the Doctor dropped her off, and she's about to have a unique "School reunion"...
Old October 27 2006, 04:17 AM   #43
Krell
Ensign

you guys are all talking about noobies, well heres one right here. Although I've known about Doctor Who for most of my life, I never watched it until it came to the Sci-Fi channel Last year, and I'm hooked. I think Sci-Fi should run the older series. I had no Idea it was so Old wow Is there a series thats been around longer?
Old October 27 2006, 01:58 PM   #44
Steve Roby
Commodore

There are TV series that have been around longer than Doctor Who, but not SF series. Coronation Street, the British soap opera (not much at all like American soap operas, FWIW), has been on the air regularly since late 1960.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2006, 02:30 PM   #45
23skidoo
Admiral

^ There is actually an ongoing "difference of opinion" at the Wikipedia article on Doctor Who, with some claiming that Twilight Zone has been around longer, but there were only about 10 seasons of Twilight Zone produced between the late 1950s and 2003, whereas Doctor Who ran for 26 seasons more or less uninterrupted between 1963 and 1989 alone.

Cheers

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote