Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 22 2014, 03:30 PM   #856
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Re: TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Gold Grizzly wrote: View Post
We don't tend to have much pinned in this forum, so I think that we can get away with having one of these introductory threads. If you're a regular poster or visitor here, or a recently arrived newbie, then take a moment to post in here, and give us a few words telling us which characters/actors and aspects of TNG are your favourites to discuss.

I will start us off ... I like to think of myself as fairly flexible in my TNG viewing, but have come to have a slight preference for the more character driven stories in recent years. I also like finding good qualities in some of the more often critisised episodes ("Justice", "Shades Of Gray", "Sub Rosa" etc ...).

While I consider Picard and Data to be the best written characters, Riker is nonetheless my favourite, with Q my favourite guest star.

I like to amuse myself by disturbing people with Picard/Q pictures like this one.

Anyone else?
I'm Keith1701, I'm retired United States Air Force member of 20 years, currently living in Middle Georgia, and have been a STAR TREK FAN since the beginning which of course was September 08, 1966.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 01:38 AM   #857
Memory Alpha
Ensign

TNG is my favorite (I grew up with it), followed by The Original Series. Basically, I think the quality of writing and the characters set TNG apart.

Picard, Data, and LaForge are my favorite characters. Guests? Guinan, Q, and Barclay were all great.

I think TNG evolved well as it went on; the other series seemed to stay relatively status quo, like DS9 and VOY.
Memory Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 02:47 AM   #858
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

Welcome, guys!
Old June 2 2014, 10:01 PM   #859
JesterFace
Lieutenant

Hello there, a new member here, 31 year young/old dude from Finland.

After startrek.com shut down I started to wonder where to discuss, mainly ask things, about my favorite show. Google offered this site as it’s first result when searching for Star Trek forum, boards or something like that. So, here I am, sorry in advance

For me TNG is the best show, not just from Star Trek, but best ever of all shows, until a better one is made… which most likely will never happen.
JesterFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 06:02 PM   #860
Jewel
Ensign

Hi, I'm new here. My Trek love is very focused on TNG, which I think is an absolute unique show -- it's exciting and thought-provoking, character-driven and plot-focused. Plus, it has a cast with amazing chemistry. I watched TNG regularly in the 90s, have recently re-discovered it on BBCA and Amazon Prime, and am glad to find that there is a place where people are still discussing the show 25 years on!

I really do like all of the 7 main characters (by which I mean the main adult characters from Season 3 on) but my favorite by far is Beverly Crusher. I love the Dr. Crusher character and Gates McFadden as an actress. My favorite episodes to re-watch tend to be ones where she is featured-- episodes like Cause and Effect and Remember Me. Love the gravitas of Picard, the energy of Riker, and I love Troi as the series progresses. For guest stars, I really like Susan Gibney, from Booby Trap and Galaxy's Child. Looking forward to participating!
Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 06:24 PM   #861
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Somebody named Jewel is here?

Awesome Possum sighting in 5...4...3...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 12:05 AM   #862
Jewel
Ensign

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Somebody named Jewel is here?

Awesome Possum sighting in 5...4...3...
Is there another Jewel that posts here??
Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 12:32 AM   #863
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Jewel wrote: View Post
My Trek love is very focused on TNG, which I think is an absolute unique show -- it's exciting and thought-provoking, character-driven and plot-focused. Plus, it has a cast with amazing chemistry.
Outstanding post, Jewel! I couldn't agree more with these sentiments. STAR TREK: The Next Generation is, without a doubt, the finest series in the franchise. When I put this show on, I'm as immersed in it, as if I were in an actual Holodeck. I'm just blown away by TNG and it's always fantastic to me, to see someone as unashamedly enthusiastic about it as yourself. I look forward to your posts and commentaries on these episodes with great interest. Welcome to the boards!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 01:28 PM   #864
T'Polismygirl
Ensign

New user to the forums here. Long time TNG fan and glad to be aboard!
T'Polismygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 05:15 AM   #865
wulfio
Commander

Howdy,

New here. 31 year old dude from Canada. My sister forced me to watch Star Trek before I could walk... And now I`m here.

I`m a fan of all trek, however TNG is on its`own level for me. Captain Picard is my favourite. I`m a tea, earl grey, hot drinker because of him.

The social commentary, and excellent dialogue is what appeals to me most. Episodes like measure of a man, or drumhead, I could watch on repeat; really any time where Patrick Stewart gives any sort of impassioned rhetoric. I also quite enjoy Data`s self discovery, and quest to understand humanity. I`m sure when I was a kid though it was the space battles and Deanna`s skirts.

Anyhow, thanks for having me. Looking forward to finally be able to talk about Star Trek with somebody!
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 01:01 PM   #866
Mutai Sho-Rin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Oh, you'll have no difficulty finding people to talk with.
Old July 12 2014, 06:28 AM   #867
medwatt
Ensign

I am a relatively new member to this forum and also to Star Trek in general. I'm 22 and have completed a bachelor's in electrical engineering and I've been living in West Africa for the most part of my life.
As you might have guessed, television shows don't exist here with the exception of a few desultory episodes mostly based on African cultures/traditions interspersed with a lot of black magic (not my cup of tea). It was only with the recent introduction of internet that most people here were given a glimpse of the outside world. Movies are way more popular here as they usually involve a single VHS cassette or CD/DVD.
It's true that I have missed a lot of good shows but in turn it opens a new vault of unexplored dramas that I can appreciate better at this age than as a child.
To say the truth, I have always confused Star Trek with Star Wars even though I've never even watched a single Star Wars film. I came to seriously know about Star Trek through the many references on The Big Bang Theory. Given my science background and also being a passionate stargazer and reader of astrophysics that are within my realm of understanding I decided to have a look at Star Trek. In the beginning, I was hesitant whether I wanted to invest the time needed to watch a full series. Because of the recent release of the blu-rays of TNG, I decided to start with that. I was pretty disappointed with a few of the opening episodes of the first season and I almost cast them aside. Then the show started getting more philosophical and with the help of Picard's articulation and Data's innocence I became addicted to the series. I'm presently waiting for the release of the 7th season of TNG because I'm eager to see what DS9 has to offer !
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 01:56 AM   #868
GentlemanBob
Cadet

My name is Bob. I am brand new here, This is my very first post. I'm just a gentleman and nice guy who respects women. My favorite character is Dr Beverly Crusher. I always did like redheads with blue eyes, ever since I saw Teela in He-Man the original series as a kid. As far as guest stars Luxwana Troi. Although I admit I like Vashti too. Picard is quite different than Kirk. I think it was written in his contract that he got to kiss a hot alien babe in every episode. LOL I hope to make a few new friends here. Have a great day, or as Spock would say, "live long and prosper".
GentlemanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 07:27 AM   #869
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Hello, I've been posting in "Literature" for a while. Read many novels. But have not really watched TV for around 20 years or more. In Canada too! Now have had Netflix for a while and Netflix recently got TNG (in Canada again). So, watching much TNG for the very first time. Gotten to Season 1, Episode 8 "Justice" and found it very interesting.

However, sending an away team and possible vacationers immediately after a first contact does seem odd from a Prime Directive perspective especially since the inhabitants do not apparently have warp technology. Not unmasking the god(s) as mere creatures and comparing high technology to godlikeness is a step beyond TOS.

I look forward to finishing Season 1 but it may take a while.

I watched TOS when it was on TV and have one BA in Psychology and a second BA in Political Science. And, have a somewhat evangelical religious perspective. I recognize that the prime directive takes evangelization and atheization dimly. Or, is a piquant sense of humour preferred (note some American spellings and some British spellings).
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 07:45 AM   #870
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Oh, I hasten to add that I do have a DVD/VCR player and have seen all of the DS9 episodes from local library DVDs. Also, I bought all of ENT DVDs though I am only in Season 3 and holding for watching those. Have hardly read any of the books and seen only some of the VOY series. Sorry for double posting. I also have a set of TOS and TAS.

Last edited by Endgame; August 5 2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Add
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote