Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 13 2011, 12:42 AM   #676
mrsmica
Ensign

Re: TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Data has always been my favorite character, hands down. I think he's very well written and I've always liked portrayals of "the other" in stories - androids, vulcans, the not-quite human. I love seeing him do things like practice sneezing in a mirror! He's very well thought out. By the same token, Lure's a great foil for him, in that psycho-killer twin sorta way.

Not that I don't like the other characters. I find that the character background/focus episodes always win me over, even for characters I found annoying at first.

I was a baby when the series first came out, so it's a little strange to see a teenage Wil Wheaton playing Wesley. It's a little hard for me not to think of Firefly when I see him on screen... But then, it's also weird to see how much Leonard Nemoy has aged, so I guess TV is just strange like that.

I'm only on the first season right now, and I can't wait until I can like Picard more, and until Worf becomes cool.
mrsmica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2011, 07:03 PM   #677
c172
Cadet

Hi guys! Brand new to the forum. I've been a fan of Star Trek TOS and TNG for a long time and I don't know why I've never ventured into these forums before. Looks like some interesting stuff here! It'll keep me looking busy while at work!
c172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2011, 03:31 PM   #678
Scinlao
Ensign

Well, I didn't read the whole thread, but I think just about everyone covered my thoughts.

I am Scinlao, and I was introduced to Star Trek only about 3 to 4 years ago when watching "Encounter at Farpoint". As everyone knows, Q is the absolute best written character in the series.

Picard, Data, Q, and LaForge are my favorite characters. I identify, however much it pains others to hear, best with Wesley Crusher. Not nearly AS intelligent, but everyone I know thinks of me as somewhat of a nerd and a smart-guy. I have my fair share of being picked on, even by friends and behind my back, but I forget about it and keep on doing what I do best. I am also young.

Although I'm probably biased, "growing up" if you will, On TNG. But still, TNG is the absolute best series. It explored philosophical aspects, and humanitarian aspects and dared to "boldly go" into subject where no man had gone before.

I loved it's image of the Klingons(An image diluted in TOS, and RUINED in DS9), and Romulans. The Borg were also a great addition to the Star Trek universe.

Also, I am looking for a roleplay thread... links?

Last edited by Scinlao; January 23 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Scinlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 02:36 PM   #679
lau03143
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello, I'm 25 and fairly new to the world of Star Trek.

Obviously I had seen the films growing up, but its only in the past year that I have watched the TV series more extensively, with the help of my brothers excessively large DVD collection.

Having watched TOS, TNG, VOY and ENT (only just getting started on DS9), my favourite series has to be TNG. Picard, Worf, Data and La Forge are all equally my favourite characters in the show, they are all very deep, complex characters.
lau03143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 06:29 AM   #680
seven_of_nineski
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Though I am quite fond of DS9, VOY, and ENT, TNG is my first love. It was the first series I grew up with so it is very close to my heart. Jean-Luc has to be my favorite character. Something about his nobility of soul and humanistic and philosophical depth speaks to me and makes me want to be a better person, as silly as that may sound. He spoke so many simple, yet piercing truths that they are hard to ignore.

Here are some quotes to name a few:

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." (Peak Performance)

"What we leave behind is as important as how we've lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal." (Star Trek: Generations)

Picard: "Data, find a way to defeat that shield."
Data: That may be impossible, sir."
Picard: "Data, things are only impossible until they are not."
(Skin of Evil)

And of course my all time favorite from one of the best TNG episodes:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again. (The Inner Light)

Some people may not care for the deep stuff but I just can't get enough of it.

My other favorites are Data, Worf, and Deanna...and for all completely different reasons. So, I guess you can say there is something to appreciate about all the TNG characters but who could ever forget that English speaking bald guy with the red uniform. You gotta love him
Old February 17 2011, 04:20 AM   #681
PikeFan
Commander

View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan

This is PikeFan reporting for duty.

I am 26 and my real name is Deanna, pronounced like Mrs. Riker's. But PLEASE call me Pikey, I love that nickname, I got it on the official trek boards. I maybe a Pike Fan first and foremost, but my love of Trek began with TNG. I love the Crusher Picard thing, like they should be together, but the tension is better.
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 02:26 AM   #682
jeskawest
Ensign

I love TNG and am currently rewatching the entire series. I haven't actually seen many of these episodes in years, so it's been pretty great. I also LOVE the movies. My favorite character would have to be Picard. He's my hero.

Earl Grey. Hot.
jeskawest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 06:02 PM   #683
Tashabasha
Cadet

Heya. I'm Tasha and I'm 24. I started watching TNG as a little girl with my dad. I also love Enterprise but cannot stand DS9 or TOS - I cannot understand why.

As I've grown up, I've caught various episodes of TNG, but around a year or so ago, I caught it on freeview's Channel One and fell in love with it all over again. Anyhow, Channel One stopped showing a while back and devastated is no reflection on how I felt! I immediately went out and bought seasons 1-7 and have watched them all over the past couple of months, I just can't get enough of it! Well.... except season 2 - I actually can't listen to OR look at Dr. Polanski!

My favourite characters of the series are Picard and Dr. Crusher (probably not the only girl with the Crusher crush....) However, Guinan and Q absolutely make any episode that they appear in. In fact, it's a little too hard to decide who my favourite characters are - they are all brilliant.

I have far too many favourite episodes, so I won't even go there. Definately a TNG fan to the end of my days....
Tashabasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 04:06 PM   #684
ElBurro
Lieutenant Commander

Location: On a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse

Hello. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Star Trek actually. Only got into it about 18 months ago. Have watched all of TNG and am near the end of the first season of TOS. My dad and my brothers used to watch TNG (and DS9 and Voyager) all the time but I never got into it. In fact, I used to make fun of them for it (no offense ).
Now I'm the biggest Trekkie out of us. I have a hamster called Data and used to have one called Worf but he died. I even have a tattoo in Klingon!
Favourite characters are Data, Worf and Riker and favourite episode is Time's Arrow. Even though I've only recently got into science fiction, I've always loved time travel stories so that's probably why I love that one. Also love Fistful of Datas and Frame of Mind.
So hello and looking forward to talking about Star Trek with you all!
ElBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 04:17 AM   #685
el Chalupacabra
Lieutenant Commander

Hi. I am a TNG fan first, but I like all the Trek Series. I'm a long time fan...since TNG was in first run
el Chalupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2011, 09:53 PM   #686
antiquityscion
Commander

Greetings and felicitations, all!

I am new here, too. I've been a fan of Star Trek for a long time, and looking to make friends online who also like Star Trek. Its hard for me to pick a favorite, but The Next Generation is what made me a Trek fan!
antiquityscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2011, 10:23 PM   #687
romanticzombie
Cadet

hello, I grew up watching reruns of TNG, but i pretty much love anything star trek

Last edited by romanticzombie; March 1 2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: forgot a word
romanticzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 03:05 AM   #688
DoBa
Lieutenant

Location: a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse

I grew up watching TOS reruns and TNG as it came out. Followed by VOY. Then ENT. I've been told that when I was around 5 my favorite character was Worf. It's now Picard. TNG is my favorite series but I like all things Trek. Even the new movie. Both parents like Trek as does my younger sister with my older one hating it. My favorite ep is Best of Both Worlds followed by The Inner Light. I thought Q was a fantastic character and was a tad upset he didn't at least have a cameo in the movies. I really don't dislike any character. They can be annoying but people are annoying IRL too. I've read a few Trek books and enjoyed what I read, aside from Sarek. That was pretty bad. Peter Kirk? Pfft. I really don't care for the TNG movies. Generations and First Contact would be solid if they didn't piss all over everything. Nemesis was okay. Insurrection was horrible. I'd rather watch all the crappy holodeck eps than that.
DoBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2011, 10:39 PM   #689
2 of 10
Captain

Greetings from the Delta Quad, I am 2 of 10, generally, I hang out at the Voyager site, however, through I would jump about 65,000 L/Y to say hi all the guys in the A.Q. Be seeing you soon....

Resistance is Futule...
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2011, 03:14 AM   #690
DoBa
Lieutenant

Location: a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse

Resistance is not futile. My friend Geordi told me so.