Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 7 2008, 10:53 AM   #436
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Hi everyone my name is Mike, I'm 28 and live in Liverpool in the UK. You may know it as the birthplace of the Beatles, the mecca of football (soccer) etc etc, but there's alot more to us than that!

Anyway, I first got into Trek as a child when TNG aired for the first time on the BBC. I was taken in by the optimistic outlook on the future, and all the amazing technology etc. Through TNG I discovered TOS on reruns, and I became hooked on the two shows (and movies).

As a teenager and young man I kind of lost touch with Trek for about eight years, only to "rediscover it" (I say "rediscover", but it had never really left me). I had been off work with a broken foot and was able to watch the entire series of DS9 in just a few weeks. I actually started to like this show a little more than TNG, as it was more gritty and "real", with some really thought-provoking ideas and interesting parrallels with the present.

I have since watched VOY from season 4 onwards and, like ENT, I think it has its moments and a few good episodes, but nothing compared to TOS, TNG and DS9. Maybe they'd ran out of ideas by then, it also seemed as though they were straying from Genes vision slightly.

It's interesting watching reruns, because as a child I liked special effects and battle scenes, my favourite episodes being the ones that had lots of these. Now I've matured a little, I'm able to appreciate the story and underlying morallity more, and my favourite episodes have shifted to the ones I liked least.

To sum up, I suppose that what Trek has given me is a code for living my life; To explore the unknown (within and without), to appreciate and learn about new cultures and respect people for their differences.

Last edited by MikeS; September 7 2008 at 12:48 PM.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2008, 12:37 AM   #437
Ghrakh
Commander

TOS and TNG fan here. I like how TNG developed engaging alien cultures, more than the TOS did. TOS did grace us with the Gorn though.
Ghrakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 03:29 PM   #438
Cali
Admiral

View Cali's Twitter Profile

Welcome to all you new folk! I hope you stick around.

Ghrakh - I've only seen a little TOS but I can see what you mean here. TOS also has that wonderful nostalgia feeling when you watching it back now.

http://allinmykeyboard.wordpress.com/
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 11:28 PM   #439
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Where did Sci-Fi move TNG now that its going through its premiere marathons of LOST?

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 07:15 PM   #440
Beulah
Cadet

Hi, it's great to find this forum. I'm from the UK

I watched Star Trek TNG on it's first run, and thought it was amazing. I watched it through until season 4, then life got in the way and I missed the rest...caught up again with Voyager and DS9, but then stopped watching. (I'll start a thread related to this later)

In the last couple months I have had renewed interest in ST:TNG, and have been rewatching them, due to a severe lack of decent programming on TV. WOW! Watching them anew is absolutely thrilling, and the effects were pretty mindblowing considering the series started in '89.

My favourite characters from the series are Picard and Data. Brent Spiner's and Patrick Stewart's acting skills are exceptional and the two in my opinion, create a very strong identity for the program.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi.
Beulah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 06:33 AM   #441
I am not Spock
Commodore

ninetofive wrote: View Post

I live in Australia, and the impression I get is that Star Trek is significanlty less 'mainstream' here than in the states. I was initially shocked when I heard people talking about 8pm timeslots, because I struggled to stay awake until 12am every week (this was DS9 and Voyager).
Hi , ninetofive. I'm in Australia, too, and I know what you mean. ST has always been a more underground phenomenon over here. Channel Nine were very annoying back in the day with their 12am timeslots.

I also lived in the UK back in the nineties, and ST seemed much more accepted and popular over there.
Old October 7 2008, 07:55 PM   #442
Jarkton
Cadet

Hey,
Im new to this site - been a trek fan since i was a little kid - remember watching it with DS9 with my dad when i was like 4. However the episode that got me into next gen was 11001001, i love the binars

Datas's probably my fave character in next gen - equaled only by Picard or Riker.
Jarkton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 09:09 PM   #443
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Welcome to all the new TNG fans.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 02:28 PM   #444
Lt_Wandrey
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to Lt_Wandrey

Greetings all. I've been a fan of TNG since it came out. I'm 26, female, single, and an artist.

My two favorite characters from TNG as a kid had to be Worf and Data. Data was always so innocent and would make a good friend. Worf was just plain cool.
Old October 11 2008, 09:04 AM   #445
LaBarre
Commander

I'm a ST:TNG fan from almost the beginning of its airing on tv in Oz. Much in sympathy with I Am Not Spock, but perhaps less exhausted, as its airing on local tv matched beautifully with my break in university studies.

There was something so transcendent about the show, that it served to move me almost effortlessly away from the Tort and Contract law I was studying at the time and on to bed.

And who would have thought that an Irish-Australian gal could fall so hard so soon for such a tightarse commanding officer - French by name, but English to a fault!
LaBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2008, 05:23 AM   #446
Wolfslice
Lieutenant

Hey, I've had a few posts already but I'd just like to say hi. Big TNG and DS9 fan located in the bay area, california.

I make my greeting in this subforum because TNG is the best incarnation of Star Trek, simply because it has the best cast and the best characters.
Wolfslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2008, 01:56 AM   #447
Albertus
Lieutenant

Hi to all! I'm Albertus, 52 last October and I have been a Trek fan since the beginning. I used to hang at the now defunct Helix Board.

I still like to make model ships and have a very nice set of Enterprises. My favourite ship is the E-D.
Picard is my favourite captain. Sophisticated, resourceful, unflappable(usually) and intelligent - and a bit of a ladies man, when the situation arises.

I can't single out any particular episode as being the best, they all have their good and bad points, but the 'jelly-fish' aliens 'holding hands' at the end of Encounter at Farpoint was so schmaltzy that it made me laugh out loud, thankfully, things improved.

Well thats it for now.

Happy Trekking and see you around the Board.

Albertus
Albertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 09:33 PM   #448
Finnegan
Captain

Hey, all. Finnegan here. Been a huge ST fan since it started to run on tv in syndication back in 1970's. I'm from Canada, an you can find some form of Trek on tv at almost any hour of the day or night. So I'm happy...
Old November 16 2008, 10:30 PM   #449
Admiral X
Cadet

Hello all, my 1st post here.
Headed straight for TNG section as I grew up with it being show here in UK for the 1st times while I was in high school!
I feel I really was quite lucky to grow up in such a golden era of the show being made.
Admiral X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2008, 10:38 PM   #450
kissthestar
Captain

Original airdate fan of TOS. TNG was the answer to my prayers. 1st season a bit disappointing, but other seasons great. Especially like the ep where Picard lives an aliens entire life after being zapped by a gadget. Poignant. Also like the one with the game visers addiction. It's the Ashley Judd guest spot and Troi/fudge sundae scene that make the show. I miss TNG.
kissthestar is offline   Reply With Quote