The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 1 2005, 04:44 AM   #16
May 20
Consumer of cookies and milk

Re: TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Hello. I'm May 20. I began watching TNG during the third season, but I didn't get hooked until my local station, for reasons still unknown to me, showed "The Arsenal of Freedom" one night. I loved the character interaction, especially how Beverly told Picard to simply "turn it off". I loved how everyone seemed to have something important to do in that episode. And Riker's quick wit: "My ship? Uh...it's the Lollipop. Yeah, it's a good ship."

I tracked down most of the first two seasons through a friend, then followed the rest of the series in first run. I liked the character interaction, the utopian feel, the value of diplomacy first and weapons second.

I can't say it's my favorite; I'm a 24th century gal. I love all three series equally but for different reasons. But TNG is the series that introduced me to Trek and gives me hope that we, as human beings, can become better than we currently are.
Old November 1 2005, 06:04 AM   #17
USS Canadys
Fleet Captain

I'm USS Canadys, lurker and lover of all things Trek Except for TATV, STV, Insurrection, Threshold and Spock's Brain.

I can't post pics yet, I would steal Naraht's image of Beverly Crusher from the second post in this thread.

I've loved TNG since its debut in 1987 and cried during All Good Things. I just won't say which scene.

I've actually followed Trek since catching TWOK in the Philippines in 1982. The sequels and syndicates TOS's drew me in farther. TNG sucked me in completely. My first conveention was headlined by William Shatner and Patrick Stewart at the Hotel Pennylvania in NYC. There was a Klingon security force. I should've taken pics.

My fave TNG eps include "Conspiracy," "The Defector," "The Most Toys," "The Inner Light," "The Pegasus," "The Drumhead," and... oh, my hands hurt.

That's it for now!
USS Canadys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2005, 08:34 AM   #18
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

G'day, all. After a very long hiatus I recently started posting in this forum again because...well, TNG is one of my three favourite Trek series (TOS and Voyager are the others) and I felt it was time I started talking about it again.

I'm one of those people who was initially very skeptical about TNG. I'm not one of those dreary people who believes TOS is the only series, but I was very doubtful about TNG. But I watched with an open mind, persisted through the first couple of seasons, and reaped the rewards.

To me, the claims that TNG is sterile, dated, irrelevant, bland, whatever, make no sense. It's a series that offers a positive view of the future - a view where humanity finally "grows up", gets past all the mindless crap that presently divides us, and starts accepting people for who and what they are. I cannot see anything wrong with that.

Edit: I should add that I'd follow Picard anywhere, and that I regard "The Inner Light" as the single greatest "hour" of Star Trek in existence. Not by much...but it definitely leads the pack IMHO.
Old November 1 2005, 08:46 AM   #19
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Hi, folks. I'm 39 years old and work for a charity. I live on the English Riviera. I was rasied on TOS, it will always be what I think of when someone says Star Trek. I went to my first convention back in 83 and have been going to them ever since, and yes, shock horror, I've even worn a uniform! Although never the ears! Con-going for me is all about sitting in the bar and chatting to friends; I've lost most of my enthusiasm when they mostly became about autographs and merchandise. Still, I'll be celebrating my 40th at a con with Shatner in the New Year.

Took me 3 seasons to get into TNG. Really didn't care for it until season 3. I was quite vociferous in my dislike. But once I fell, I fell heavy! Of course Riker is my favourite character. I appreciate his flaws and think I see more good points in him than his many detractors. Of course him having Jonathan Frakes' pretty face and nice ass helps.

My favourite episodes are those that ponder the inponderables, pose the tricky questions, contemplate their navels. I think SF in general and Trek in partcular is a great crucible for studying the metaphysical aspects of living. And, of course, any Riker-centric episodes are my favourites, too.

R/T is an okay pairing and probably my default pairing, if such a thing exists, but I hanker after Riker/Ro and Riker/Yar. The last two would have been great together. Although, to be honest, Trek isn't really about the 'ships for me.

I love reading fanfic. I've been reading it for 25 years. My favourite stuff are pieces that are well-written and convincing. I'll read about anything as long as the author convinces me they believe it.

I like making icons and avatars, as y'all have probably guessed by now. I don't think I have any particular talent for it, but it keeps me off the streets! Here are one or two I made earlier...

WillsBabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2005, 08:46 AM   #20
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Hey, everyone, I'm od0.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one growin' up on first-run episodes of TNG. I still have the store-bought VHS tape of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, which has that trailer for TNG, and all those scenes from 'Encounter at Farpoint'.

I'm a bigger Niner than I am a TNGer, but I still enjoy Picard & Crew, have a few seasons on DVD, and went to see all four movies in the theater, as close to opening weekend as possible.

I've met a few folks from Star Trek: The Next Generation and for the last couple of months, I've enjoyed postin' this pic of me with Marina Sirtis, but meeting Wil Wheaton is still one of the coolest things ever.
Old November 1 2005, 08:47 AM   #21
Naraht
Rear Admiral

I think that Ohappydagger and I would have gotten along very well sixteen years ago.

Naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2005, 12:55 PM   #22
Amelie
Fleet Captain

I'm 27 years old. I adored TOS when I was little (it was on BBC2 when I was at primary school in the 1980's). When TNG first came out, I didn't want to watch it. I swore it would never be the same as Kirk. But sure enough I did start watching it and I got hooked. TNG remains my favourite show of all time.

I live in London, I have a Philosophy degree, a post graduate LLB law degree and the LPC (legal practice course) which trains you to practice as a solcitor. BUT am still strugglnig to find a training post that you need to become a solicitor

I'm more interested in individual character development in TNG than big exciting stories. My favourites are Picard, Dr Crusher (yes I wanted them to get together!) and I love episodes that explore their friendship.

I also have a very big soft spot for Reginald Barclay. Because he reminds me of me. When I was a child and thru the teenage years, I was timid, shy and scared of people. I would prefer to hide away and bury my head in a book (holodeck not invented yet!) rather than be with people. I grew out of that but I still have a big tendency to annoy people and screw up. I also think he desreved more credit than he got and was judged too harshly by people. He never actually screwed up that badly but still got mistrusted all the time. Would like to see more discussion of him, but alot of people seem to dislike him and I guess he was only in 5 episodes much to my disappointment
There is some kind of all-powerful, all-knowing force that controls everything in the universe. And it's so fucking bored, it'll actually take time out to orchestrate a petty letdown like that." -- Georgia Lass
Amelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2005, 01:00 PM   #23
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Posted by Amelie:
....I also have a very big soft spot for Reginald Barclay. Because he reminds me of me. When I was a child and thru the teenage years, I was timid, shy and scared of people. I would prefer to hide away and bury my head in a book (holodeck not invented yet!) rather than be with people. I grew out of that but I still have a big tendency to annoy people and screw up. I also think he desreved more credit than he got and was judged too harshly by people. He never actually screwed up that badly but still got mistrusted all the time. Would like to see more discussion of him, but alot of people seem to dislike him and I guess he was only in 5 episodes much to my disappointment
Dwight Shultz showed up in -

TNG 'Hollow Pursuits' (introductory episode)
TNG 'The Nth Degree'
TNG 'Realm of Fear'
TNG 'Ship in a Bottle'
TNG 'Genesis'

Star Trek: First Contact

VOY 'Projections'
VOY 'Pathfinder'
VOY 'Life Line'
VOY 'Inside Man'
VOY 'Author, Author'
VOY 'Endgame'

And he got name-dropped in TNG 'A Fistful of Datas'. :thumbsup:
Old November 1 2005, 02:15 PM   #24
HortaVorta
Commodore

I don't happen to post on this board at all frequently, yet here we are. I consider myself a Picard fan. I like the 24th century Renaissance Man aspect, on top of Stewart's performance. I find that I usually tend to post on minutia of the setting more than anything, because that's where my interests tend to lie--in cultures, species, and the like.

TNG is probably the Trek series that I was most invested in, having come into my own as a Trek fan only a year or so before it premiered. I was exciting to see the expansion of the universe I was enjoying up to that point.

I was open to the idea of series based around characters other than the original series', and perhaps more "utopian" in my outlook, which probably helped in the early stages of the show. At the time most of my friends who were also Trek fans were into the military hardware/protocol aspect, and TNG tended to disappoint there at first. For me though, I was immersing myself in the Diane Duane novels, and TNG jibed well with their style.

That said, in retrospect it's occurred to me that I enjoyed TNG in spite of formula creep in the details (Does every planet have a Roman numeral? Why are so many of the aliens' names built on the "T---ians" model? Why do all the aliens fly around in the same three ships? ) because I came to like the characters and characterization, and found myself sticking with them out of sheer familiarity.
Old November 1 2005, 02:37 PM   #25
DragonLady
Commodore

Name: DragonLady
Serial Number: oh, the hell with it

I grew up in Japan watching Star Trek (in the original Japanese ) and loved it. I came to America at 14 and as I was about to graduate high school, TNG began. After a slow start in which I wondered whether a) they were going to remake all the original series shows or b) Wesley was going to save the ship every week, I grew to love it as well, perhaps just as much as the original now.

While I enjoy Patrick Stewart's performances most of all, I like all of the characters. I liked the ensemble cast and all of them getting their place in the sun, even the lower deck officers.
Old November 1 2005, 02:56 PM   #26
Gertch
Admiral

I hated TNG when I watched the first episode. I had been hearing that it was coming for a couple of years and didn't see how they could do as well as TOS.

I couldn’t believe that first episode with the effeminate looking Captain. ARGH! And I had seen Frakes shortly before and did not like him one bit.

I continued to watch hoping it would get better. And it did! It is actually my favorite series with the The Inner Light being my fav episode.

I have watched the show so much in re-runs that I am burnt. I probably wont watch it again until I get the DVDs mainly because of the continuous cutting of the show. AGT has some great stuff cut out and I just can't watch it anymore.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2005, 03:15 PM   #27
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Hey everyone, I'm SmoothieX. I'm 25, male, and live in Vermont. I have a Master's degree in environmental engineering, and mainly work on public works and land development projects at a local firm.

I was 7 when TNG came out, and watched from the beginning. My parents were big TOS fans, so I saw reruns of that, and TVH in the theater to prime me for TNG. TNG was on Saturday nights for most of the run where I lived, so it was a family viewing event most weeks.

I liked S1, but at the time wish they killed off Troi instead of Yar. I liked episodes like Conspiracy and Aresenal of Freedom, that showed the new crew working together and becoming a team.

S2 is definitely my least favorite. I thought Pulaski was a McCoy clone and much preferred Crusher. The episode quality suffered I feel from the writer's strike, but didn't realize that at the time.

S3-S6 is very solid. BOBW is to this day my favorite Trek and favorite cliffhanger of any series. It was also my first run-in with a cliffhanger. I remember Riker ordering to fire like it was yesterday. My mom had to explain to me that to be continued meant next fall and not next week. And in those days, there was no internet to spoil everything.

Also, The Inner Light gets me blubbering and choked up every time. It's the only episode that really hits me like that.

I don't rip S7 as much as some. It was real hit or miss. You have solid episodes like The Pegasus and Parallels, but real stinkers like Sub Rosa.

My favorite character was Riker. He was bold and confident as an officer, friendly, good with the ladies, etc.

Picard is my favorite of any of the Captains. He could kick ass when needed, but could do at least as much damage dressing you down verbally.

My favorite interpersonal relationship was Geordi/Data. A blind man teaching an android how to paint, that pretty much sums it up. I always root for the engineer for obvious reasons, and the way the show emphasized the human element of the equation through an emotionless being is wonderful.

I don't think the show has lost much with age. Yes, the effects and such are dated, but that's just the way things go. Character and moral dilemma episodes are always relevant. And the social issues they tackled, for example that episode where warp drive damages space as an allegory for today's impact by transportation/fossil fuel on the environment is still valid.

The other nice thing about catching on to the series so young is that I can appreciate it differently now as an adult as I did then. A 7 year old boy wants to see aliens and stuff blowing up, but now I can appreciate the subtler aspects much more.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2005, 04:17 PM   #28
mackillian
Fleet Captain

I should add that I'd follow Picard anywhere
As would I. Picard fits my ideals of a good leader and I could easily follow him. Which is odd, when I think about it, because I have a streak of problems with authority. But this streak never really pops up with good, fair leaders. Only with bad ones.

Good thing I was only in ROTC for six months.
Old November 1 2005, 06:46 PM   #29
MrsPicard
Commander

Hm... I'm MrsPicard, I'm 22 years old and I'm madly in love with Jean-Luc Picard (that's why I chose this nickname for every Star Trek message board I am a member of). He's my all-time-fave character, of course

I adore TNG, I think it's the best Star Trek series ever. I can't really get myself to like the other series (except for TOS, that is).

I can't tell which TNG episodes are my favorites because there are too many (except for the ones in which a random female shows up and touches MY Jean-Luc, or the ones in which Beverly behaves even *more* annoying than usual )

I'm not exactly a shipper, but if I had to name a fave pairing, I'd say P/Q (that's why I decided to use this as my current avatar) or P/R.

I also can't really tell which is my fave TNG season, I think all of them have great episodes, but I'd perhaps name season 2 as my favorite because of Dr. Pulaski. :thumbsup:

Hmm... what else... oh, right, I'm somewhat obsessed with Mr. Stewart (look at my signature ), I'm a huge fan of his work (and a fan of the man himself, too, of course ).

I guess that's all...
MrsPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2005, 06:51 PM   #30
Dorothy_Zbornak
Commodore

Yeah Pulaski rocked. She got a bad rap because she wasn't as seemingly flawless like the rest and came off as crusty, perhaps even biased against Data.

My name is Robert, and I'm a Pulaski fan.

There, much better.