Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old January 17 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
TheSiskoWasHere
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Cylon Detector (SPOILERS)

So, my understanding of the Baltar's Cylon detector from S1 was that it did work, but he just kept the results to himself. This is supported by his test of Boomer and by the end of "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down." However, if this was true, and the one revealed as the final cylon really is the final cylon, then why was Baltar totally in the dark about the Final Five near the beginning of season 3? He should have known about at least one of them.
Old January 17 2009, 04:31 PM   #2
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Re: The Cylon Detector (SPOILERS)

I think they'll probably be addressing this. On one hand, we know from Moore that the Five are "fundamentally different." So maybe that's why Ellen didn't show up on the test. On the other hand, they were pretty vague about how they knew the remains on Earth were those of Cylons.

How else would they be able to test it other than Baltar's Cylon detector? Unless they got help from the rebels or something. Either way, it is something that's kind of begging to be addressed and I don't think they're going to leave us hanging on this one. If a few interviews with Ron Moore are to be believed, they've been kicking the Ellen-as-Cylon idea around since the end of season one when "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down`was fresh in everyone's mind. They must have built an "escape hatch" into the story to get around this inconsistency.
Old January 17 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
pleschga
Captain

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
I think they'll probably be addressing this. On one hand, we know from Moore that the Five are "fundamentally different." So maybe that's why Ellen didn't show up on the test. On the other hand, they were pretty vague about how they knew the remains on Earth were those of Cylons.

How else would they be able to test it other than Baltar's Cylon detector? Unless they got help from the rebels or something. Either way, it is something that's kind of begging to be addressed and I don't think they're going to leave us hanging on this one. If a few interviews with Ron Moore are to be believed, they've been kicking the Ellen-as-Cylon idea around since the end of season one when "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down`was fresh in everyone's mind. They must have built an "escape hatch" into the story to get around this inconsistency.
IIRC, the cylons determined that the skeletal remains were, in fact, cylons. Something about "using our protocols" (said by one of the 6's). Truthfully though, I've only watched it once, so I may be mistaken.
Old January 17 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, it was the skinjobs who discerned that the Earthers were Cylon. So whatever technology is involved in making skinjobs, it's close enough to what was used on Earth to send up a red flag.
Old January 17 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
SeerSGB
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yeah, it was the skinjobs who discerned that the Earthers were Cylon. So whatever technology is involved in making skinjobs, it's close enough to what was used on Earth to send up a red flag.
I keep thinking that skin-job tech wasn't created by Colonial Cylons, but rediscoverd by them-- perhaps given to the by the Cylon "God". We know from Razor they were experimenting with making the hybrids, but that doesn't necessairly lead into the other, or exclude someone feeding them little clues and bit or pieces of tech.
Old January 17 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
jbrinegar
Lieutenant

I thought there was a season 1 episode that Baltar told his imagineary six it would take too long to test everyone in the fleet so he was just automatically passing everyone
Old January 17 2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Well, he clearly stopped doing the tests at some point... since it was going to take decades to test everyone.