RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,559
Members: 25,805
Currently online: 505
Newest member: C57D

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old June 14 2008, 04:15 PM   #1006
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own risk)

Wouter2 wrote: View Post
MagisterFrodo wrote: View Post
What if the fifth Cylon is Hera? She's been a major storyline almost since the beginning. She actually seemed to want to go to the Six. [...] The Six in the holding cell clearly said the Five were in the fleet. If Hera were hearing the music at the end of season three, she might not have had any way of communicating this or acting on her impulses.

We already know that she is "the shape of things to come", and that whoever is manipulating things wanted her to come into being. Perhaps her body is some kind of host to the consciousness of the final Cylon.
The problem I have with this, is that Hera can hardly be a model of the cylons - she's not a model, those are manufactured, synthetic copies ("or mechanised copies" as Cavil and Natalie say) of a template. Hera was born and is unique, as the combination of human and Cylon DNA.
We don't known anything about the origins of the Final 5. They may have been born. In fact, my theory is that this is exactly the case, and the the Final Five Cylons are previous human/Cylon half-breeds. "All this has happenned before". At some point in the past, humans and Cylons interbred, probably both on earth and later on Kobol. Those who escaped were half-breeds but, as a culture, either lost or intentionally suppressed that knowledge. This is part of the reason the 7 "skinjobs" are programmed to not think about them.

Also, being host of the consciousness of the final Cylon implies that Cylons can be something like spiritual beings, which brings us really far from the original definition of a Cylon. They would be more God-like beings then, some kind of poltergeists or so, rather then walking and talking, biological computers. Hera already has her own consciousness, like every human that gets born; surely this doesn't get discarded by mind-possesion? In that case, Helo and Athena needs to call Ghostbusters or exorcists instead of marines and Vipers to deal with the Cylon threat.
Well, we've seen head-Six and head-Baltar. May this is the final Cylon and it is a consciousness that needs to enter Hera. Maybe it already has. It may be a little far-fetched, but so will any explanation that actually ties all this together.
Old June 14 2008, 04:34 PM   #1007
Wouter2
Captain

We don't known anything about the origins of the Final 5. They may have been born. In fact, my theory is that this is exactly the case, and the the Final Five Cylons are previous human/Cylon half-breeds. "All this has happenned before". At some point in the past, humans and Cylons interbred, probably both on earth and later on Kobol. Those who escaped were half-breeds but, as a culture, either lost or intentionally suppressed that knowledge. This is part of the reason the 7 "skinjobs" are programmed to not think about them.
Interesting idea, which would mean that those 5 so-called models really aren't models at all, and would have no numbers (which ties in with what RDM said, allthough I'm unsure how to interpret his words). But, they would still be very old then, because if they really were born and they are their apparent ages, then there is an awful lot of human/Cylon parent pairings running about. 2 humans can hardly produce human/Cylon offspring! So, even if they were born, wouldn't they still be very, very old?
Old June 14 2008, 04:57 PM   #1008
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Interesting idea, which would mean that those 5 so-called models really aren't models at all, and would have no numbers (which ties in with what RDM said, allthough I'm unsure how to interpret his words). But, they would still be very old then, because if they really were born and they are their apparent ages, then there is an awful lot of human/Cylon parent pairings running about. 2 humans can hardly produce human/Cylon offspring! So, even if they were born, wouldn't they still be very, very old?
Yeah, I'm not sure how to explain that. If my theory is correct, all the humans in BSG are descendents of human/Cylon half-breeds. Maybe the Final Five are all consciousnesses that were waiting the right moment to download into the bodies they now have. Maybe the "Watchtower" song didn't turn them on. Maybe it was part of the download. They weren't "Cylons" up until that point. That would explain how they all managed to end up on Galactica without knowing who they were.
Old June 14 2008, 05:04 PM   #1009
Wouter2
Captain

Yes, but that doesn't rhyme with "we are Cylons, and we always have been", as Tyrol was sure. It comes down to everybody being Cylons (which is a possibility, mind; would explain why they can hardly distinguish cylons from humans).
Old June 14 2008, 05:30 PM   #1010
Starwind
Fleet Captain

I don't think they're half-Cylons. I believe that yes, they are born. Perhaps every generation there are a few born with the right combination of traits (strenth, endurance, ability to interface with computers) to become one. The Final Five reincarnate in those children.
Old June 14 2008, 05:40 PM   #1011
propita
Rear Admiral

Just wondering...

...does D'Anna even know about Nicky? You'd think that would be of some importance to her. The offspring of a Final Five?

Same with Tigh's baby-to-be as the first Final Five-Cylon offspring.

These kids have got to matter somehow, right? 'Cause they hit all three combinations (Human-Cylon; Final Five-Human; Final Five-Cylon).
Old June 14 2008, 05:54 PM   #1012
Wouter2
Captain

Starwind wrote: View Post
I don't think they're half-Cylons. I believe that yes, they are born. Perhaps every generation there are a few born with the right combination of traits (strenth, endurance, ability to interface with computers) to become one. The Final Five reincarnate in those children.
I really hope that's not the way they're going, because this reduces being cylon to "a state of mind". And how can a human be born with the ability to interface with Cylon computers (or colonial computers by putting a needle in their veins)? You don't get born like that, this is designed.
Old June 14 2008, 06:09 PM   #1013
Starwind
Fleet Captain

^The first ones were designed. They are products of genetic engineering. It can be passed to their offspring.

Remember that Hera can distinguish her mother apart from the rest of the line. The Five are obviously more advanced, who's to say more of their traits don't breed true?
Old June 14 2008, 06:13 PM   #1014
Wouter2
Captain

After all those years, those traits would have spread throughout the population, or been bred out again. Hera, for example, may marry a full human later, and then her Cylon traits get watered down, until not much is left at all at some point. That, or some of her traits become widespread among humans, but then it's back to "they're all Cylons" - sort-off.
Old June 14 2008, 06:18 PM   #1015
Starwind
Fleet Captain

After all those years, those traits would have spread throughout the population, or been bred out again. Hera, for example, may marry a full human later, and then her Cylon traits get watered down, until not much is left at all at some point. That, or some of her traits become widespread among humans, but then it's back to "they're all Cylons" - sort-off.
Eventually, you get a few of those descendants marrying each other (maybe there's a bit a of programming in there that draws them together?). The genes do get spread around, but sometimes they get concentrated in some individuals. That's how reccesive traits get expressed.
Old June 14 2008, 07:57 PM   #1016
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Before Deanna got boxed and saw a vision in that temple of Jupiter, didnt she see five bodies standing there and looked at each one? How could she then not know who the fifth one was?
Old June 14 2008, 08:18 PM   #1017
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Is there any possibility that the last cylon is a presumed-dead character? Someone who wouldn't be in the fleet because they were killed (or a version of them was killed)?
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old June 14 2008, 08:45 PM   #1018
Wouter2
Captain

Of course that possibility exists, and if you believe RDM about the last supper (all the characters in that are out) and that D'Anna is telling the truth (and why wouldn't she? She doesn't need to lie in the position she is in), it's the best explanation besides Boomer.

One possibility: a presumed dead character isn't quite dead (like, perhaps, president Adar, or maybe Ellen survived the poison somehow, allthough I doubt that), or resurrection tech was in play. The latter has the problem that one would expect the 7 to notice if they had strange bodies in their resurrection equipment, but I guess some manipulation in their programming could take care of that.
Old June 17 2008, 06:01 PM   #1019
Nomad V
Fleet Captain

is it possible that the 5th Cylon isn't on any Cylon or human ship? Could it be that the 5th Cylonis met at their final destination? One thing I expect from the show at this time is that the unexpected will happen. Maybe the 5th Cylonis found on Earth (earth?). I don't know but it is fun to guess.
Old June 22 2008, 02:08 PM   #1020
anais
Captain

propita wrote: View Post
Just wondering...

...does D'Anna even know about Nicky? You'd think that would be of some importance to her. The offspring of a Final Five?

Same with Tigh's baby-to-be as the first Final Five-Cylon offspring.

These kids have got to matter somehow, right? 'Cause they hit all three combinations (Human-Cylon; Final Five-Human; Final Five-Cylon).
I was just thinking the same thing, I expect the children to be intrinsic to whatever that happens to the fleet during the final episodes.

Also, is the Tigh baby a Final Five - Head Cylon baby in addition to the physical manifestation?