Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 29 2006, 06:01 PM   #676
DarthMarley
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own ris

Hobs202 said:
^Assuming that these rumors are true, what I don't get is what RDM's rationale for all this is. He must have known that this "storyline" would have received a lot of criticism. He must have been aware that a Kara/Leoben hybrid would utterly destroy whatever significance Hera had. After the already risky one-year-leap in the show, why would he make a move that's even more risky? This just doesn't make sense.
I don't think RDM does see things that way.

Face it, the whole "hybrid baby" thing was what they struggled to come up with as a reason to justify the Helo/Sharon thing. Throw in the "Arrow of Apollo" to bring him back to the fleet. Then you hear in the writer's meeting podcast that he is throwing out ideas to bring the fleet back to Caprica. There is no guiding hand behind the story, it is just being cranked out on the fly.

The premise was handed to him; "fleeing the Cylon tryranny...searching for Earth" but instead of taking that direction and running with it, we have the wheels spinning in the mud.
Old April 29 2006, 06:57 PM   #677
Hobs202
Commodore

Maybe, maybe not. RDM can't be that disorganized or ignorant of what fans think. Remember he was wise enough to get rid of Boxey. He actually reads certain message boards. Like I said, he must have known that a Leoben-Starbuck hybrid would NOT be taken very well. There is a difference between a writer who's simply disorganized and a writer who comes up with outrageously stupid ideas. It doesn't take a genius to figure that a story about Starbuck getting brainwashed (by a few drugs), turned into a Cylon pet, and having a test-tube baby is simply a bad idea. How do we go from Starbuck saying "We fight them until we can't" in one scene and then in the next scene have her doing tricks for Leoben or whatever? (Ok, I guess they can do it. It was done before in DS9 - the giant fleet at the end of Call to Arms ending up shredded at the very beginning of Season 6)

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old April 29 2006, 07:15 PM   #678
DarthMarley
Lieutenant Commander

From my point of view, the "outrageously stupid ideas" started with "Resistance/Farm" and hibernated until the silly rescue mission in LDYB.

Just thinking about it makes me want to watch Firefly.

Unfortunately, some fans will like anything Kara does.

Tune in next October for "All My Cylon Children."
Old April 29 2006, 07:30 PM   #679
Hobs202
Commodore

^ I was okay with the plot of "The Farm" because it gave a semi-plausible explanation for why Helo and Sharon's baby was so special. And actually, I was glad that the rescue mission took place because the cast finally got to do something with that captured Heavy Raider.

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old April 30 2006, 12:22 AM   #680
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I really wish they'd put all sex on the backburner. It's not that important to me as much as the platonic, familial relationships are.
What? Focus on the slowly healing rift between Apollo and his father after the mutiny rather than on Starbuck's love life? What are you thinking, girl? I'd much rather see Starbuck drink herself to death over Anders than explore what the mutiny did to Apollo and Bill's trust in each other.

There's a reason I've been enjoying my Farscape DVDs more than BSG DVDs lately. Farscape knew how to do relationships, and not just romantic love. Farscape did friendship and camaraderie better than many a program. Crichton/D'argo, Crichton/Chiana, Aeryn/Pilot, Zhan/everybody.....even Crichton and his father in the last few episodes. Character development was rich. It wasn't all Jon and Aeryn. Aeryn wasn't rendered drunken and alcoholic in her pain over Talyn John's death. Supernatural also does the family thing incredibly well. Anybody who's seen Sam and Dean knows how incredible they are.

Do we get a smidgeon of family on BSG? No. We may get Starbuck's love child and new affair, but no family.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 30 2006, 02:47 PM   #681
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson said:
I smell blood in the water. The sharks are coming to jump. Starbuck's going to have a hybrid baby. God almighty. Moore's lost his marbles. It will be a special, multi talented baby, you betcha. I wonder if it will be an alcoholic like mommy. A "brainwashed captive" Is it Stockholm syndrome? Does Leoben rape her? How vile. No wonder Sackhoff was complaining about it in the interview.

It's a special baby! A super Starbuck baby!! Fresh made with stolen eggs. The search for Starbuck's super baby!! Wheeeee!! There there little sharks. Calm down. You can start jumping soon. I'll bet Sackhoff lost her mind when she read those scripts.

Just start to worry when Fonzi puts on the water skis
Old April 30 2006, 05:22 PM   #682
witchie
Commodore

Dorian Thompson said:
What? Focus on the slowly healing rift between Apollo and his father after the mutiny rather than on Starbuck's love life? What are you thinking, girl? I'd much rather see Starbuck drink herself to death over Anders than explore what the mutiny did to Apollo and Bill's trust in each other.
I know. Silly me. It's much more important to push the Adamas to the background and focus on Starbuck. Starbuck! Starbuck! She's our gal!

There's a reason I've been enjoying my Farscape DVDs more than BSG DVDs lately. Farscape knew how to do relationships, and not just romantic love. Farscape did friendship and camaraderie better than many a program. Crichton/D'argo, Crichton/Chiana, Aeryn/Pilot, Zhan/everybody.....even Crichton and his father in the last few episodes. Character development was rich. It wasn't all Jon and Aeryn. Aeryn wasn't rendered drunken and alcoholic in her pain over Talyn John's death. Supernatural also does the family thing incredibly well. Anybody who's seen Sam and Dean knows how incredible they are.

Do we get a smidgeon of family on BSG? No. We may get Starbuck's love child and new affair, but no family.
I have to wonder why RDM felt the need to move away from the family dynamic. It was the best part of TOS and was done quiet well in S1. Sigh...memories.
Old May 3 2006, 08:34 PM   #683
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

cbspock said:
Dorian Thompson said:
I smell blood in the water. The sharks are coming to jump. Starbuck's going to have a hybrid baby. God almighty. Moore's lost his marbles. It will be a special, multi talented baby, you betcha. I wonder if it will be an alcoholic like mommy. A "brainwashed captive" Is it Stockholm syndrome? Does Leoben rape her? How vile. No wonder Sackhoff was complaining about it in the interview.

It's a special baby! A super Starbuck baby!! Fresh made with stolen eggs. The search for Starbuck's super baby!! Wheeeee!! There there little sharks. Calm down. You can start jumping soon. I'll bet Sackhoff lost her mind when she read those scripts.

Just start to worry when Fonzi puts on the water skis
Really, really worry when the cast tours the nation playing softball together!

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Old May 5 2006, 08:33 AM   #684
V
Commodore

My thoughts on the subject:

1) In terms of Hera, this Starbuck hybrid baby thing (in development since "The Farm") actually seems like a good idea. Hera was supposed to be the Cylon messiah "leading the next generation of God's children" (the hybrids), so they thought she died, so they made another one using Starbuck to be the new hybrid leader......only to realize in season 3 that Hera is not dead. The complications involved I think are actually really cool.

To use a comic book example; Cable was supposed to be the messiah that killed Apocalypse in X-Men. They thought Cable was going to die when he was a baby, so to keep SOME messiah-child that would save the world from Apocalypse some day, he was cloned. His clone was Stryfe. However, Cable then survived, while his clone was stolen as a baby by Apocalypse's forces, and raised to be evil and Apocalypse's lieutenant. Then they had the ongoing conflicts between Cable and Stryfe.

Anyway, 2) As I keep trying to point out Starbuck is never pregnant the entire idea behind stealing her egg cells is that the Cylons used her genetic material to create a test-tube baby in vitro. She was never physically pregnant; Leoben just pops up on New Caprica with the child.
Old May 5 2006, 10:04 PM   #685
Komet155
Commodore

Im guessing yes, with the copy of Leoben II.

Whizzer said:
As if that would stop Starbuck.....
Seriously, maybe she meets a male, hot Cylon and we get Helo/Sharon redux?
Old May 5 2006, 11:13 PM   #686
nevermore
Admiral

morgoth said:
2) As I keep trying to point out Starbuck is never pregnant the entire idea behind stealing her egg cells is that the Cylons used her genetic material to create a test-tube baby in vitro. She was never physically pregnant; Leoben just pops up on New Caprica with the child.
Sounds plausible...
Old June 2 2006, 12:17 AM   #687
Hobs202
Commodore

Good news, people! According to the latest "boilers" at Ragnar Anchorage - the baby is NOT - I repeat - NOT - a real hybrid. It's a normal human child - most likely Cally and the Chief's baby. That should clear a few things up.

--- Dogbert
Old June 2 2006, 01:58 AM   #688
David85
Rear Admiral

Or maybe that's what they think! The real truth is Cally had an affair with Baltar, but was it really Baltar or a Cylon made to look like Baltar! Find out next season on Days of Our Shity Lives!

And I always thought saving thousands of lives was the ultimate homeland security.

Support equality... www.massequality.org
Old June 3 2006, 01:40 PM   #689
V
Commodore

I just got back from the MTR event in New York City. I met Ron himself (yay, he knew who I was!) and they showed a new, super-spoilerific super-trailer for season 3!

I think it will go online in a few days. I'm not giving anything away, but just....OH MY GODS. Million things happening at once.
Old June 3 2006, 01:46 PM   #690
Campe98
Commodore

^SWEET!!!! I'm jealous. Come on dude, give up the spoilers! That's what a spoiler thread's all about!