RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 789
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 3 2005, 02:47 AM   #31
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own risk)

Wow look a thread with my name on it.

A couple of thoughts having quickly read over the thread:

I think this is a smart move by both Baltar and Sharon. By saving the President of the Colonies with Stem Cells from the child it would make it extremely unlikely that the child would be subsequently targetted. (This could explain the bit in the script about Sharon having left by the time Adama returnsto the sickbay).

There's nothing to say with clarity that the "cure" is permanent. It may cure part of it (her cancer had metastasized) or only alleviate it.

Even if it were to be a 100% cure it still doesn't rule out Roslin being the one refered to in the prophesy. The leader was suffering a wasting disease was to guide them to earth and not live to enter it. She was still sick when the Tomb was opened. There's nothing that says the leader has to die from the wasting disease. If it is Roslin she could go out, sacrificing herself to save someone else's life for all we know. But it still could be anyone(I like the fact that prophesies can be open to interpretation).

Just because the Doctors on Caprica couldn't cure Roslin's type of cancer with Stem cells doesn't mean that Baltar can't. Firstly, the Dr's on the Colonies may have been legally prevented from doing so and we all know Baltar lives to his own personal code of ethics (which is probably none) so he's going to worry about the legalities. Secondly, hemay be aided by Sharon to find the cure.Maybe she knows something that could help.
I'm more interested in hearing about how Roslin and Adama deal with it. Given my occupation I find this interesting. And not at all cheap. Part of the reason I like BSG is because of the discussion it generates.

Just because Starbuck isn't mentioned in the brief excerpts of scripts flying around the net doesn't mean she wont be in it. There's usually 50-60 pages of script. Its likely she is there somewhere. I doubt they'd leave a major character out of an ep (e.g., from the pod casts they included a Baltar/6 scenes when they realised he & 6 weren't in one of the recent eps).

======
Old September 3 2005, 03:01 AM   #32
arch101
Fleet Captain

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own ris

This is a great concept! If Roslin can be treated this way, it opens all kinds of ethical dilemas concerning the Cylons. They can't be "just toasters" if their dna is compatible with ours. On the other hand, their will be folks who want to use Cylon biotech to help humans. Lots of interesting stories to be had here. Also: How does this affect Roslin? Does this, in effect, make her half-Cylon? The President? Wonder what prophecy has to say about that?
Old September 3 2005, 04:29 AM   #33
emerald_lady
Commodore

On a more positive note, look at this still of Jamie Bamber from the next first run episode. What a lovely hipbone.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rfan/skin2.jpg
No wonder he and his wife have had 3 kids in two years. I couldn't say no to this guy either.
Day-um. That man is fine. I'm serious. He is the Greek God Apollo. This is next Friday. A not to be missed episode to be sure.
Old September 3 2005, 04:40 AM   #34
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Care for a larger version?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/astms/bamber.jpg

According to the unofficial BSG blog, this scene happens when Lucy Lawless' character--a reporter--just barges into the locker rooms with a camera. Supposedly, according to Katie Sackhoff, they had to do more than one take because the director noticed that Ms. Lawless couldn't seem to maintain eye contact with Bamber while doing the scene. Her eyes....wandered.

Oh, and a little blue eyed bonus
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rfan/eyes3.jpg

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old September 3 2005, 07:06 PM   #35
nevermore
Admiral

Hey guys,

There's a new interveiw with Lucy Lawless up at Zap2it. SHe mostly talks about her character, but the most interesting thing to me is that Robert M. Young is directing it. He's a very well-known documentarian. and while they were shooting the episode, Lucy and her "cameraman" were also shooting her reports. They will be used within the episode as well.

I just love the way BSG is willing to take risks and throw out convention when it comes to things like this! Taking thier whole "cinama verite" thing a step further. I'm really looking forward to this one!

BTW, I LOVE this thread! One-stop shopping. Brilliant idea, SJ! As a reward, here's a fantastic quote from your favorite lady President:

“I think Laura should help women like Hilary Clinton get into power,” McDonnell says. “The more we have actresses playing women in power the more the idea becomes part of people’s expectations and culture. People start absorbing it as a given, and start expecting women to be in that position. The repetition of the image is what shifts our perception in TV and movies and then hopefully in real life.”
“The power in Laura grows up out of the obstacles and the circumstances, it isn’t something she just pulls out of the hat or had to begin with,” says the actress, who’d previously come closest to power as Bill Paxton’s First Lady in Independence Day. “She’s dying of breast cancer, she’s not ambitious politically, she wasn’t trained to be in this position, she doesn’t know a thing about being out in Space, so if you really line up your ducks, you go ‘Who is going to follow her?’ But they keep supporting her sincerity and commitment, she’s a long haul kind of girl.”
Link
Old September 3 2005, 07:10 PM   #36
Twilight
Vice Admiral

I love Mary McDonnell - so classy.
Old September 3 2005, 09:00 PM   #37
Caprica_Six
Admiral

Posted by flamingliberal:
BTW, I LOVE this thread! One-stop shopping. Brilliant idea, SJ! As a reward, here's a fantastic quote from your favorite lady President:

“I think Laura should help women like Hilary Clinton get into power,” McDonnell says. “The more we have actresses playing women in power the more the idea becomes part of people’s expectations and culture. People start absorbing it as a given, and start expecting women to be in that position. The repetition of the image is what shifts our perception in TV and movies and then hopefully in real life.”
“The power in Laura grows up out of the obstacles and the circumstances, it isn’t something she just pulls out of the hat or had to begin with,” says the actress, who’d previously come closest to power as Bill Paxton’s First Lady in Independence Day. “She’s dying of breast cancer, she’s not ambitious politically, she wasn’t trained to be in this position, she doesn’t know a thing about being out in Space, so if you really line up your ducks, you go ‘Who is going to follow her?’ But they keep supporting her sincerity and commitment, she’s a long haul kind of girl.”
Link
Glad you like the thread mate thanks for sharing the quote I hadn't seen that one yet :thumbsup:
Old September 4 2005, 09:25 AM   #38
America99
Captain

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Zarek is a fanatic who became what he once despised. It's not unheard of. I think the fact that Moore depicted Apollo more or less sympathetically even though he mutineed against his father for the sake of democratic principles is indicative that Moore does appreciate a "liberal" viewpoint to some degree.

Of course with Blanders and Caprica coming back I have my own problems with the later eps. What a dud Michael Trucco is. He can't act. He just can't act. He's so generic, romance of the week fodder except that he's a himbo instead of a bimbo. Those chicks from Star Trek: TOS were only meant to show up once for a reason. I'm extremely disappointed that Eick listened to Sackhoff. She must be....dating the guy. Yuck. Where exactly is he going to fit in anyway? I'm incensed that he'll take screentime from someone more deserving, all to make Kara more "feminine and gooey" and Lee all petulant and jealous. We don't need either of those to happen, and we certainly don't need to see Caprica again. Michael Trucco is not a good enough actor to compromise your storyline for. Have you seen the guy in Wishmaster 4? It's absurd. There's a reason that Jamie Bamber was in the Horation Hornblower series, that EJO and Mary McDonnell have won awards, and that Michael Trucco was in Wishmaster 4. If you want to ship Lee and Dualla like you hinted at, Ron, just ship Lee and Dualla. You don't need to have Kara/Blanders set it off. Sheesh.

On a more positive note, look at this still of Jamie Bamber from the next first run episode. What a lovely hipbone.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rfan/skin2.jpg
No wonder he and his wife have had 3 kids in two years. I couldn't say no to this guy either.
Um, Dorian, who says that just because Anders is coming back that they are going to revisit Caprica?

After all, this is Ron Moore, not Mr. Underwear...

So Katie Saackoff thought it would be good to use the actor again. So what?

Think...in just about every other episode, we have Starbuck talking about Helo being fooled, expressing outrage toward Sharon for being a cylon.

But what if?

What if later on down the line they discover another cylon sleeper agent and it turns out to look just like Anders?

America (because it's all very easy to tell someone else what a fool they are being, isn't it?)
Old September 4 2005, 05:03 PM   #39
nevermore
Admiral

^^Actually, I can't find the spoiler at the moment, but they did indicate that they would spend several episodes retreiving him (and, presumably others) from Caprica.

edit: I think it was in the Home Part 1 podcast, but I'm not positive.
Old September 4 2005, 05:24 PM   #40
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Posted by Trubinator:
It's still a Trek solution. Baltar magically invents a cure or puts her cancer in remission when we've been told throughout the series that she will die. If you disagree with this, at least concede that using stem cells to cure the president is a bit preachy political in a shameless and uncreative way.

Maybe it is a "gift" from the Cylon God. We have to figure Six is behing all this giving Baltar the "cure".
Old September 4 2005, 05:27 PM   #41
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Posted by frankncc72405a:
Anyway, I really think that the whole "idiot stupid peaceniks insist on a terribly self-destuctive and trgically naieve course of action" plot is something I probably won't like. It ties into something that has bothered me about Zarak since Colonial Day.

The depiction of so-called "liberals" in this show is really off-putting. They are depicted in both instances as being so blinded by their ideology and docterines that they are incapable of recognizing necessity and pragmatic priorities. In Colonial Day, Zarak's rhetoric regarding the gardener is a perfect example of this: "Why is he still working?" Well, because it's better than standing around with his thumb up his ass waiting to be obliterated, that's why. Why do we still have government? Well, because a society requires certain things in order to function, all the more so when the lives of every individual within that society depend, on and hour-to-hour basis upon the effectiveness of the leadership.

The whole "peacenik" story seems to be an exention of this theme that people whose ideals may not be necessarily comaptble with a changed circumtance, are incapable or recognizing that.

I really don't think we have seen a "peacenik" in Zarek, more of a "Nelson Mandela-gone-haywire" type of opportunistic, anti-establishment character. The "Mandela" tie-in is solely based on his resorting to violence and subsequent imprisonment, so please don't overreact.
His motives are really not for the people but for himself, so that he can lead the people and become the guy in charge.
We saw it best in Home pt1&2 where he is using Roslin's religious interpretation to forward his own agenda. I have not seen this as a liberal or peacenik methodology.
Now, when the storyline concerning the groups that want to make peace with the cylons do show up on screen later this season, we will then truly see how RDM and DE view the "liberal/peacenik" mindset. Until then, hold your fire.

Yeah, but that is how the "real left kook fringe" acts. I was waiting for the Cylon sympathizers to show up on the show. They were on the original series as well. Maybe we will see some old colonial hippies from the First Cylon War show up and start protesting again, to justify what they did back in Colonial College. They will be even more shrill than they were back then. This could be interesting. They could show how out of phase they are with the rest of colonial society in the fleet. They could even have a few whine that they will leave the fleet if Roslin gets elected President for a second term. Oh, and they could have a Lurch like guy running against Roslin chanting "Help is on the way".
Old September 4 2005, 05:28 PM   #42
nevermore
Admiral

^^Great theory. I hadn't looked at it from that perspective, and I think it's probably a really strong probability that sh uses it as yet another way of a) increasing Baltar's influence and credibility and b) manipulating him into doing something she wants. It certainly sounds like her MO.
Old September 4 2005, 08:14 PM   #43
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Posted by insert_name_here: Here is the link for the script:

link

It's similar to the script that was leaked before, just with more details this time. The script however doesn't mention any use of stem cells so I don't know where that fits in. But the link I originally gave at the top is from some interview so all the spoiler hounds will have to follow that up for me.

Even still not all the facts are in yet so we really don't know for sure how this story will play out on screen and what they might add or take out before filming.
Okay, I've been out of touch for awhile, but I gotta ask:

<span class="spoiler"><font class="small">Spoiler:</font><hr /><span>
"Admiral" Adama? Has this happened on the actual show? When is he supposed to be promoted?

Also, what is the Prometheus? Yet another battlestar they manage to stumble across? Or just another ship in the fleet?
</span><hr /></span>

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old September 4 2005, 09:09 PM   #44
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Um, Dorian, who says that just because Anders is coming back that they are going to revisit Caprica?
Ummm, Ron Moore. He implied it. Yes, they're going back and I doubt that Anders is a cylon. It's for Starbuck to be more feminine and have a "love interest." Sheesh. Yes, I'm irritated that she suggested it but I'm far more irritated with David Eick for agreeing to it. Yes, they're irretrievably lost and drifting in space in despair from all that they've lost, but they can zip back to Caprica whenever they want for beer, tampons, and resistance fighters with big muscles who can't act worth a lick. What a dud of an idea. Anders a cylon? I wish. But I'm not counting on it happening, America. Love interest for Starbuck city. They're going back to Caprica so Starbuck can have a love interest.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old September 4 2005, 10:03 PM   #45
America99
Captain

^^Actually, I can't find the spoiler at the moment, but they did indicate that they would spend several episodes retreiving him (and, presumably others) from Caprica.

edit: I think it was in the Home Part 1 podcast, but I'm not positive.
Ah, but he still might end up bering a cylon. And who knows? Maybe Kara will end up in the same boat as Helo, wondering how she ever fell in love with a cylon, hmmmmm?

America (actually, I was just trying to cheer up Dorian)