RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 391
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old November 23 2005, 01:01 AM   #391
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own ris

I hear Apollo gets Major though. Here's to hoping Starbuck gets bumped back to Liutenant. I'm afraid the insubordination attitude only works so long as she's still technically a pilot 'grunt'. Having her as a captain would damage the show's credibility. Sadly, I think RDM is dead-set on the whole girl-power thing to avoid chauvinism attacks.
Old November 23 2005, 01:25 AM   #392
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Kara doesn't get demoted. She's still a captain through "Captain's Hand." Apollo doesn't get promoted until then from how the spoilers read. You think Ron would demote Wonder Buck just because she has a lousy attitude and she shoots his son in the chest? It's Starbuck. Everybody loves Starbuck. No wonder Lee thinks his dad loves Kara more. I understand that scene in the corridor from YCGHA more and more.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old November 23 2005, 05:15 AM   #393
Hobs202
Commodore

Posted by Trubinator:
I'm afraid the insubordination attitude only works so long as she's still technically a pilot 'grunt'. Having her as a captain would damage the show's credibility.
Not it won't - she'll still be lowering-ranking than Tigh . Besides, she was CAG 2IC, so, she never really was a "grunt" to begin with.

I also like how Starbuck is going to be Apollo's boss for a while. I can't wait to see the look on his face.

What thing I don't get - why does Cain promote Kara? Wasn't Cain the one who got her booted off the Galactica in the first place?

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old November 23 2005, 05:39 AM   #394
DarthMarley
Lieutenant Commander

It probably has to do with the successful recon mission.

She upstages Pegasus' current CAG by completing the Blackbird mission he vetoed. Of course, this is also rewarding insubordination.
Old November 23 2005, 05:46 AM   #395
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Shame on Starbuck for not letting them know it was Lee's idea.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old November 23 2005, 05:55 AM   #396
nevermore
Admiral

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Shame on Starbuck for not letting them know it was Lee's idea.
As I recall, it was actually her idea. It was shot down, and Lee simply enabled her to act on it. Thus, he was the source of the insubordination, but not the idea of the recon mission itself.
Old November 26 2005, 12:30 PM   #397
America99
Captain

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Kara is a bit reminiscent of Super Archer, no? She's not a bad girl, she's just so......super duper competent that it's irritating. You're right. She's just not in a good place to be anyone's choice for a long term relationship.
Yeppers.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. But I went through Hurricane Rita and ended up with a hole in my foot about the size of a silver dollar. Being a diabetic, the doctors feared that it would not heal.

Imagine their surprise when it healed just like a normal person. The secret? I don't eat garbage anymore. Just fruits, vegetables, fish, and other whole foods. In other words, I've become ever so boring.

There are many reasons that a love relationship will work and many reasons why it will not work. Believe it or not, there are mechanics involved that go far beyond the chemical spark between two people. Or at least this has been my observation.

It is my own opinion that one of Brannon Braga's biggest mistakes was to try and string along two different 'shipper groups, attempting to give to both sides.

I personally have no preferences here in the 'shipping department and am simply doing what I always do, that is, study the various relationships as the writers set them up and analyze what the people are doing right or wrong.

Enterprise had too many reset buttons too.

America (Oh well, it's in reruns now. I just wish that Ron Moore had been in charge of that series.)
Old November 26 2005, 01:19 PM   #398
America99
Captain

Re: Cylon POV Episode shelved!

Posted by Iarfirithwen:

Cooooool. Dr Yueh! Nice.

Some info was released on Resurrection Ship Part 1 over at Now Playing.

======
Battlestar Galactica – “Resurrection Ship, Part 1”

Logline: A military power struggle threatens to escalate into all-out war as the Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus attempt to join forces to destroy a critical Cylon target: a “Resurrection” ship.

Synopsis: Lt. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace (Katee Sackhoff) prevents a potentially deadly face-off between the Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus when she arrives at the last minute bearing stunning recon photos of the Cylon “Resurrection” ship. Unable to resist this tempting target, Commander William Adama (Edward James Olmos) and Admiral Helena Cain (Michelle Forbes) establish an uneasy truce as they agree to prioritize the destruction of the “Resurrection” ship, tabling their conflicts, for now. But Adama remains distrustful, as he learns that Cain's survive-at-all-costs attitude saw Pegasus abandon its civilian fleet months ago. Disturbed by this news, President Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell) believes that as soon as the Resurrection ship is destroyed, Cain will jettison Galactica's civilian fleet. As the power struggle continues with Cain, Adama must make an impossible decision, on the eve of a battle that could change the face of the Cylon war.
====
Ah yes, Super Starbuck strikes again.

Faster than a cylon raider.
More powerful than two Battlestars.
Able to sneak around sneakily in a stealth ship that was only invented just two or three episodes ago.

Look, out there in space. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SuperStarbuck! Come to save the day again.

America ( oh well, at least she is not taking full head shots the way Super Archer did. Hmmmmm....I finally figured it out. Archer's problem is that he got beat one too many times.)
Old November 26 2005, 02:04 PM   #399
America99
Captain

Posted by insert_name_here:
Interesting if not bizzare spoiler (take this one with a grain of salt):

I am reposting what was posted over on Gateworld. Seemingly this was originally reported over at Ragnar Anchorage, but no link to the original post was given in the Gateworld Forum. If anyone has the original link would they please post it here.

Seemingly the episode is called "Munich" and "A Leoben-model Cylon turns up in the fleet with an offer of peace. But his offer comes at a terrible price: give up the worship of false gods and accept Cylon missionaries to spread the one true faith. Worse yet, the Colonials must sacrifice a quota of people each year for human/cylon breeding experiments. With popular pressure leading towards accepting the offer, Roslin calls a popular referendum and must ally herself with Zarek to defeat the peace offer."

This comes from the Secret Cylon, link
Actually, there's a simple way to keep the cylons from attacking and I wonder that no one has figured this out yet.

Adama should simply send out a message that says:

Attack us and Sharon and her baby die.

This tactic all by itself would stop the attacks, at least until the cylons could figure out a way to free Sharon.

See, the cylons themselves have said that the baby was the most important thing. That is the entire reason they are even following the RTF and that is the entire reason that the RTF is still even being allowed to exist.

Adama also realized this when he pointed that weapon at Sharon and told her that she would be dead before the cylons could ever get close enough to rescue her.

So, anyway, they know that procreation is important to the cylons. They know that the cylons are trying to find ways to procreate and that Sharon is the first cylon to successfully conceive. And they know that the farms are not working.

America (oh well, maybe they will figure it out)
Old November 27 2005, 01:10 AM   #400
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

I really don't see how this is SuperStarbuck.

She took some recon photos. Big whoop. That's a standard mission.

She may as well be stopping the Pegasus battle by bringing home her dry cleaning.

If the plotline had her stopping the battle by flying in at the last moment and using her superpowers to disable all the Pegasus Vipers, that would be SuperStarbuck. Any housewife can come home from the drugstore with vacation photos, so that can't really be construed as very "super".

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
Old November 27 2005, 10:13 AM   #401
nevermore
Admiral

Posted by America99:
Posted by Iarfirithwen:

Cooooool. Dr Yueh! Nice.

======

Logline: A military power struggle threatens to escalate into all-out war as the Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus attempt to join forces to destroy a critical Cylon target: a “Resurrection” ship.

Synopsis: Lt. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace (Katee Sackhoff) prevents a potentially deadly face-off between the Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus when she arrives at the last minute bearing stunning recon photos of the Cylon “Resurrection” ship. Unable to resist this tempting target, Commander William Adama (Edward James Olmos) and Admiral Helena Cain (Michelle Forbes) establish an uneasy truce as they agree to prioritize the destruction of the “Resurrection” ship, tabling their conflicts, for now. But Adama remains distrustful, as he learns that Cain's survive-at-all-costs attitude saw Pegasus abandon its civilian fleet months ago. Disturbed by this news, President Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell) believes that as soon as the Resurrection ship is destroyed, Cain will jettison Galactica's civilian fleet. As the power struggle continues with Cain, Adama must make an impossible decision, on the eve of a battle that could change the face of the Cylon war.
====

Able to sneak around sneakily in a stealth ship that was only invented just two or three episodes ago.

Look, out there in space. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SuperStarbuck! Come to save the day again.

America ( oh well, at least she is not taking full head shots the way Super Archer did. Hmmmmm....I finally figured it out. Archer's problem is that he got beat one too many times.)
Oh, give me a break. This is not directed at you, America, but is directed at the vast number of posts like this. I am so tired of everyone jumping on Starbuck whenever she does ANYTHING. I hated Super!Archer as much as anyone, but he was often doing things that should have been physically impossible etc. Here she is simply doing her fracking job. She is a PILOT flying a stealth ship, designed exactly for THIS PURPOSE, and doing so successfully. What is the problem here?

Is she supposed tobe a complete fuck-up at eveything, even those things entailed in her military training? Would that make people happy?
Old November 27 2005, 12:00 PM   #402
America99
Captain

Posted by FluffyUnbound:
I really don't see how this is SuperStarbuck.

She took some recon photos. Big whoop. That's a standard mission.

She may as well be stopping the Pegasus battle by bringing home her dry cleaning.

If the plotline had her stopping the battle by flying in at the last moment and using her superpowers to disable all the Pegasus Vipers, that would be SuperStarbuck. Any housewife can come home from the drugstore with vacation photos, so that can't really be construed as very "super".
I'm sorry. It's really quite plausible when you think about it. But of all the people to stop the conflict, it is Starbuck that does it.

I know that Admiral Cain would probably not listen to President Roslin anyway.

By the way, I happen to like Starbuck. But she tends to be slightly on the unstable side. I suppose that with her childhood, it's understandable.

In fact, I can even see how she might get promoted in a TREK Mirror Universe kind of way. Nothing beats success. So, even though Starbuck went against the orders of her CAG, I can see her getting promoted because her methods got results. So. the reward would not be for insubordination, but for the results that her actions brought.

By the way, I also never hated Archer as a person. But Scott Bakula even said that Archer was a bit of a brat. He intentionally portrayed him that way.

Starbuck is very human and the lords of Kobol have been exceedingly kind to her. They have graced her with beauty, physical agility, and intelligence. It is unfortunate that wisdom in interpersonal relationships is not one of those gifts. And it is my hope that as this series progresses, that we see her develop this wisdom.

America (for the alternative to developing such wisdom is to be forever doomed to making the same mistakes over and over and over again)
Old November 27 2005, 12:15 PM   #403
America99
Captain

Posted by flamingliberal:
Posted by America99:
Posted by Iarfirithwen:

Cooooool. Dr Yueh! Nice.

======

====

Oh, give me a break. This is not directed at you, America, but is directed at the vast number of posts like this. I am so tired of everyone jumping on Starbuck whenever she does ANYTHING. I hated Super!Archer as much as anyone, but he was often doing things that should have been physically impossible etc. Here she is simply doing her fracking job. She is a PILOT flying a stealth ship, designed exactly for THIS PURPOSE, and doing so successfully. What is the problem here?

Is she supposed tobe a complete fuck-up at eveything, even those things entailed in her military training? Would that make people happy?
No, I suppose you're right. I suppose Starbuck is supposed to be a person who is extremely gifted in every area except her interpersonal relationships.

While I would have preferred to have Roslin actually find a way to prevent the conflict between the two battlestars, it does simply make better sense that Starbuck would be able to stop this. Admiral Cain would probably not listen to anyone or anything else.

America (It's like seasoning though. No one makes a meal out of cayenne pepper. I do not dispute that Starbuck is competent. But is she really the only one who is any good at anything and everything?)
Old November 27 2005, 03:55 PM   #404
cbspock
Rear Admiral

tabling their conflicts, for now. But Adama remains distrustful, as he learns that Cain's survive-at-all-costs attitude saw Pegasus abandon its civilian fleet months ago. Disturbed by this news, President Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell) believes that as soon as the Resurrection ship is destroyed, Cain will jettison Galactica's civilian fleet

This is the most interesting tidbit in the summary. In Pegasus that guy Tyrol was talking with, the one that was conscripted from the civilian ship. I guess we just assumed he was rescued from a disabled civilian ship. Looks like Cain took people she could use on her Battlestar and let the other civilians get captured by the Cylons. This also explains why Cain was not giving the civilian fleet the supplies Roslin requested.

Old November 30 2005, 02:14 PM   #405
Stag
Rear Admiral

Well since I am usually the last to find out about SPOILERS of any kind, and in going through the thread I did not see anything here ...surprisingly... Battlestar Wiki has posted spoilers on the two parter that will close out season 2. The articles are here:

Lay Down Your Burdens Part 1

and here:

Lay Down Your Burdens Part 2

EDIT: OF course after I posted this I found a post or two commenting on this...why would I think spoilers would be in episode order... ...Enjoy :thumbsup: