Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 19 2005, 11:13 AM   #256
America99
Captain

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own ris

Posted by Iarfirithwen:
Posted by illya_kuryakin:
For those following the thread about Ron Moore's blog comments concerning his big screw-up, I'm also in the dark on this one, but I have a theory. Internet chat seems to have almost universally panned the cylon stem cell cure for Roslin as too "Trek reset button." This is totally my speculation, but I know Moore follows these discussions pretty closely. It's possible he's now regretting taking the easy road out on this one. if I hear anything else, I'll let you know.
Funny, I was going to ask you if you could comment on that.

Across various boards I have seen people interested in the stem cell idea as well as those jumping up and down about it. I think when it comes to the whole stem cells issue there have been two things that fans have been jumping up and down about:

1. Some will argue that Roslin is the “dying leader” hence she must die and if she doesn’t its just wrong. BUT a) there is nothing that says that “dying leader” dies from the wasting disease. She could die from something else, b) she was dying when she was at the tomb of Athena, c) the “anointed leader” refered to in the prophesy could be someone else. And hell it’s a religious text, interpret as you will, really!

2.“It’s a miracle cure”. Stem cells. I like it. It’s topical, it could be done in a quasi-realistic way. It doesn’t have to a be a miracle cure. Stem cells are already used in the treatment of some forms of cancer. Hematopoietic stem cells are a type of adult stem cell. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is usually used to restore adult stem cells that are destroyed by high dose chemo or radiation therapy (from memory they've also been trialled in treating breast cancer but the jury is still out there).An adult stem cell can renew itself, and can differentiate to make the major specialized cell types of the tissue or organ in which it's found. Under the right conditions some adult stem cells can differentiate into a number of different types of cells. For instance, hematopoietic stem cells produce all the different types of blood cells, but under the right conditions they can also be encouraged to become another couple of types of cells including brain cells. But embryonic stem cells are thought to be even more special because they can develop into every type of cell in the body. If we can direct an embryonic cell to become the particular type of adult cell we are after (say heart muscle cell or brain cell) then it would be possible to repair damaged or depleted adult cell populations or tissues in someone with Parkinson disease, heart disease, or diabetes etc etc. Even after tissue and organ damage suffered by Presidents with metastasized cancer.

What about a cure. True we can’t do that yet, but research is starting to examine the possibilities. Why should a storyline be limited by what we can currently do or by what the audience knows of the science? Yes, human embryonic stem cells are usually derived from embryo’s that are only 4 or 5 days old. Yes we can’t cure cancer. Etc etc . But hell they're embryonic cylon-human stem cells. Maybe they're pretty special. Stem cell research here (for us in the real world) is only in its infancy. Who's to say what the Colonials know. I also allow some wiggle room. I like science fiction for allowing us to ponder the possibilities. And I think this is a great example of BSG doing it.

It’s also quite topical. I think it opens up interesting possibilities in the storyline. E.g., in a population of approx. 49,000 people there’s gotta be a section out there that will argue it makes Roslin a cylon. There is an election coming up, one assumes very soon, surely it would play a role. How does this change the way people see Roslin (Adama included)? How does this change the way Roslin see’s the cylons? Would she be more likely to listen to “let’s-make-peace-with-the-cylons-and-live- in-peace-and-harmony-yeah” group in the fleet? etc etc.

Isn’t there a chance that RDM was refering to something else? It sounded like he had backed himself into a corner. Couldn’t it be the cylon plan, or the baby, that silly comment he made on the Colonial Day podcast where he said he probably wasn’t going to put Adama and Roslin together Couldn’t it just be one of those things where the artist is so ingrossed in their work they see errors that noone else does?
Actually, I do not see the stem cell "cure" as being an issue at all. All they really have to do is explan later on down the line that the "cure" was at best a reprieve, a temporary solution.

Or

They could have it be a real cure and then something else kills her near the end of the series. (Of course, this would be Brannon Braga-like, but I can handle a bit of this, just not a lot)

Personally, I think that something had to be done to at least stabilize Laura's condition. Otherwise, the prophecies will not be fulfilled and the event loop will not repeat itself as it is supposed to.

So, no, I have no problem with the stem cell cure. Later on, after thinking that Baltar had somehow miraculously saved Laura, just have them find out that the "cure" is not a permanent one.

I mean, seriously, how many times has someone gone into remission for cancer and then later on down the line the cancer comes back and kills them? I know at least two people who died this very way.

America (And may I say that it is at times like these that I wonder why scum of the earth continue to walk the face of the earth while two of the most wonderful people I will ever know had to die.)
Old October 19 2005, 11:36 AM   #257
America99
Captain

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Oh God. Starbuck, pilot extraordinaire who can fly a biomechanical alien ship by pressing on its spleen, the best shot in and out of the cockpit who's even better than trained marine sharpshooters, who can interrogate a suspect better than marines or police, who can plan an attack better than the suddenly unintelligent and incompetent Apollo and Tigh with 40 years experience, who can beat a professional pyramid player, Anders, even though she hasn't played in years and less than a month earlier crushed her knee is now the dying religious leader of prophecy, too?? Please God noooooo! We accept that Starbuck's a competent woman, RDM and that we're sexist pigs for thinking she's anything but practically perfect in every way. No more, no more!!!!
Um, no, Dorian, I promise you this. Starbuck is not a female version of Super Archer. So, do not go looking for the cape.

Yes, Starbuck is gifted. And this is probably another reason that she is so messed up on a personal level. My own theory is that she excelled in many things because she was in this big hurry to get away from a home environment that was really, really bad. That this drove her to try to lift herself up, so to speak.

But in doing so, she still had all these issues, issues about intimacy, issues about not feeling loved or protected the way every person truly deserves to feel. This led to the lifestyle that we see now, the lifestyle of someone who is gifted, who knows they are gifted, and who is unafraid to show that they are gifted, but who is really a complete and total mess on the inside.

This really is a bit different than Super Archer, who always won every water polo game he ever played, was the handsome Captain who was constantly taking beating after beating from the alien of the month and coming back like a Timex watch, and who was pretty darn smug in his own delusions of superiority.

No, Starbuck is viewed by some as a screwup, even as others look up to her. And Starbuck sees herself as a screwup even if she outwardly pretends otherwise.

America (of course, if Starbuck begins inventing a new game called water polo, we can revisit this subject again)
Old October 19 2005, 01:02 PM   #258
Samura
Lieutenant Commander

Oh God. Starbuck, pilot extraordinaire who can fly a biomechanical alien ship by pressing on its spleen, the best shot in and out of the cockpit who's even better than trained marine sharpshooters, who can interrogate a suspect better than marines or police, who can plan an attack better than the suddenly unintelligent and incompetent Apollo and Tigh with 40 years experience, who can beat a professional pyramid player, Anders, even though she hasn't played in years and less than a month earlier crushed her knee is now the dying religious leader of prophecy, too?? Please God noooooo! We accept that Starbuck's a competent woman, RDM and that we're sexist pigs for thinking she's anything but practically perfect in every way. No more, no more!!!!
You forgot that she is also is the best card player, the best Cylon- foo figther and has the best instructing skills.

You know what. I think there are only two posible explanation this.

1. OMG SHE IS A CYLON
2. OMC SHE IS A GOD
Old October 19 2005, 01:11 PM   #259
kipron
Rear Admiral

Posted by Iarfirithwen:
But speaking of blowing up ships, I do wonder what they're going to do with nuke that Baltar gave Gina(?).
Wow, so Baltar gives Gina a nuke?! Is that the same nuke he procured early in S1 (under the guise of building the Cylon detector)?

I'm guessing Gina is no longer in jail at this time? It would be kinda hard to hide a nuke in her cell.
Old October 19 2005, 04:03 PM   #260
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Posted by kipron:
Wow, so Baltar gives Gina a nuke?! Is that the same nuke he procured early in S1 (under the guise of building the Cylon detector)?

I'm guessing Gina is no longer in jail at this time? It would be kinda hard to hide a nuke in her cell.
Maybe she could throw a towel over it and pretend its a lamp. It would help if it glows

This was mentioned in the script excerpt for Epiphanies. It was, from memory, discussed back toward the beginning of the thread. It's not certain where it comes from but the general guess is that it's probably the one, or bits of the one, that Baltar had for his cylon detector. Of course it could be from somewhere else entirely.

======
Old October 19 2005, 09:56 PM   #261
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Buck needs to be taken down several notches.
Old October 20 2005, 06:10 AM   #262

Buck needs to be taken down several notches
Wow , and i thought i was the only one who felt this way . I think it could be very beneficial for both the character and the show. Right now , i don't understand where they are trying to go with the character.

Sometimes i feel that the writers want to create the «coolest character ever» . The problem is , that rarely works ...

Old October 20 2005, 06:25 AM   #263
emerald_lady
Commodore

No, you're not the only one warpaint. I've been real down on her ever since she shoved Racetrack's face into the table. That was so out of line. Being a cool, kickass chick is fine. Being mean isn't.
Old October 20 2005, 09:57 AM   #264
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Well...but she can't read a frakkin' map ("The Farm").
Old October 20 2005, 10:25 PM   #265
illya_kuryakin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted by Iarfirithwen:
Actually Illya I have a question for you.

Apparently at the "Galactica One convention" it was suggested that "There will be yet more revelations about new Cylons in the second half of the season. One of the main cast may be one." This was posted over at The Secret Cylon LJ. The poster from there, later posted over at the Galactica Actual BB and kindof implied in the post it may have been one of the cast that said it. Now they (cast or whomever it came from) may have just been joking or whatever, but I was wondering (since someone has apparently said that in public) if you've heard that and if you could comment? (And I understand if its something you don't want to comment on)
I also believe the rumor started with the cast. I think it's possible that one more major cast member is a cylon, however, several have told Ron Moore they won't show up for work if they get a script that reveals them as a cylon.

As far as season 2 goes, I was able to corner one of my contacts - I actually know a few crew members and they love to talk about the show because they LOVE the show - and get this much: I asked if another cast member would be revealed to be a cylon and the answer was "no." I then asked if a major cast member was going to die and the answer again was "no." I then asked if there was going to be another huge cliffhanger and the answer was "um, er, maybe." Another contact suggested, however, to expect changes for MINOR characters. Is one of the minor characters going to die, I asked? Of course, the answer was . "um, er, possibly."

Yeah, no one wants to say too much. I have to admit I've also been avoiding learning too many spoilers. After all, I wanna be surprised, too. A constant refrain from several friends is, "Do you really wanna know?"

oh, I've been asking around about Ron's screw-up and no one I know has a clue. If I can get into the wrap party, I'll be sure to ask him
Old October 20 2005, 10:30 PM   #266
Caprica_Six
Admiral

^^ Apparently people are speculating that Billy is going to die after one of the scripts got leaked. Do you think that may have to do with your friend saying "um, er, possibly"

Thanks for sharing what you know btw :thumbsup:
Old October 20 2005, 10:50 PM   #267
illya_kuryakin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted by insert_name_here:
^^ Apparently people are speculating that Billy is going to die after one of the scripts got leaked. Do you think that may have to do with your friend saying "um, er, possibly"

No problem. Galactica deserves to be talked about and if this helps generate a little buzz, I'm glad to help.

Speculation about Billy's fate began as soon as it came out that Paul was signed to do another show this year. I figured his days were numbered and was actually kinda surprised to see him this far into Season two. Ok, that said, I'd rather not say one way or the other. I don't want to give away anything that major. And do you really wanna know? Enjoy a little suspense.
Old October 20 2005, 11:46 PM   #268
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Posted by illya_kuryakin:
Posted by insert_name_here:

No problem. Galactica deserves to be talked about and if this helps generate a little buzz, I'm glad to help.

Speculation about Billy's fate began as soon as it came out that Paul was signed to do another show this year. I figured his days were numbered and was actually kinda surprised to see him this far into Season two. Ok, that said, I'd rather not say one way or the other. I don't want to give away anything that major. And do you really wanna know? Enjoy a little suspense.
wrap party

Do I really want to know? Yes and no.
I think it comes from being in my little antipodean home. You give up on avoiding spoilers if you don't know if/when you'd see the eps. I will however muster all my strength and try to remain spoiler free for the last 3 eps of S2.

And as SJ said. Thanks for all the tidbits you share with us.

======
Old October 20 2005, 11:57 PM   #269
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Billy dying, or being a cylon thus removing his colonial one persona from the equation, would greatly facilitate this Apollo/Dualla interaction/flirtation/possible romance that Moore and Bamber both referred to in their interviews.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old October 21 2005, 01:22 AM   #270

Making Billy a cylon would be a good way to free Paul Campbell , for now , if his pilot gets picked up ( i don't know if it has but it certainly has been implied more than once on many different boards ) . Maybe RDM was able to work something out so that Billy could come back eventually . Because what would be the point of making him a cylon if he is never to be seen or heard of again ?

And i really hope we eventually find out who Six talked to in the mini when she said something like : «finally, it's about time you got here»...Remember ? We never saw who that was. I hope this isn't just dropped and never heard of again... Cause it was really intriguing .