Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 17 2005, 09:13 AM   #241
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own ris

It can't be the finale and everything else across the board looks fine. It's most certainly the magical cancer cure.
Old October 17 2005, 11:30 PM   #242
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Posted by illya_kuryakin:
For those following the thread about Ron Moore's blog comments concerning his big screw-up, I'm also in the dark on this one, but I have a theory. Internet chat seems to have almost universally panned the cylon stem cell cure for Roslin as too "Trek reset button." This is totally my speculation, but I know Moore follows these discussions pretty closely. It's possible he's now regretting taking the easy road out on this one. if I hear anything else, I'll let you know.
Funny, I was going to ask you if you could comment on that.

Across various boards I have seen people interested in the stem cell idea as well as those jumping up and down about it. I think when it comes to the whole stem cells issue there have been two things that fans have been jumping up and down about:

1. Some will argue that Roslin is the “dying leader” hence she must die and if she doesn’t its just wrong. BUT a) there is nothing that says that “dying leader” dies from the wasting disease. She could die from something else, b) she was dying when she was at the tomb of Athena, c) the “anointed leader” refered to in the prophesy could be someone else. And hell it’s a religious text, interpret as you will, really!

2.“It’s a miracle cure”. Stem cells. I like it. It’s topical, it could be done in a quasi-realistic way. It doesn’t have to a be a miracle cure. Stem cells are already used in the treatment of some forms of cancer. Hematopoietic stem cells are a type of adult stem cell. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is usually used to restore adult stem cells that are destroyed by high dose chemo or radiation therapy (from memory they've also been trialled in treating breast cancer but the jury is still out there).An adult stem cell can renew itself, and can differentiate to make the major specialized cell types of the tissue or organ in which it's found. Under the right conditions some adult stem cells can differentiate into a number of different types of cells. For instance, hematopoietic stem cells produce all the different types of blood cells, but under the right conditions they can also be encouraged to become another couple of types of cells including brain cells. But embryonic stem cells are thought to be even more special because they can develop into every type of cell in the body. If we can direct an embryonic cell to become the particular type of adult cell we are after (say heart muscle cell or brain cell) then it would be possible to repair damaged or depleted adult cell populations or tissues in someone with Parkinson disease, heart disease, or diabetes etc etc. Even after tissue and organ damage suffered by Presidents with metastasized cancer.

What about a cure. True we can’t do that yet, but research is starting to examine the possibilities. Why should a storyline be limited by what we can currently do or by what the audience knows of the science? Yes, human embryonic stem cells are usually derived from embryo’s that are only 4 or 5 days old. Yes we can’t cure cancer. Etc etc . But hell they're embryonic cylon-human stem cells. Maybe they're pretty special. Stem cell research here (for us in the real world) is only in its infancy. Who's to say what the Colonials know. I also allow some wiggle room. I like science fiction for allowing us to ponder the possibilities. And I think this is a great example of BSG doing it.

It’s also quite topical. I think it opens up interesting possibilities in the storyline. E.g., in a population of approx. 49,000 people there’s gotta be a section out there that will argue it makes Roslin a cylon. There is an election coming up, one assumes very soon, surely it would play a role. How does this change the way people see Roslin (Adama included)? How does this change the way Roslin see’s the cylons? Would she be more likely to listen to “let’s-make-peace-with-the-cylons-and-live- in-peace-and-harmony-yeah” group in the fleet? etc etc.

Isn’t there a chance that RDM was refering to something else? It sounded like he had backed himself into a corner. Couldn’t it be the cylon plan, or the baby, that silly comment he made on the Colonial Day podcast where he said he probably wasn’t going to put Adama and Roslin together Couldn’t it just be one of those things where the artist is so ingrossed in their work they see errors that noone else does?

======
Old October 17 2005, 11:45 PM   #243
Starwind
Fleet Captain

Posted by Iarfirithwen:

1. Some will argue that Roslin is the “dying leader” hence she must die and if she doesn’t its just wrong. BUT a) there is nothing that says that “dying leader” dies from the wasting disease. She could die from something else, b) she was dying when she was at the tomb of Athena, c) the “anointed leader” refered to in the prophesy could be someone else. And hell it’s a religious text, interpret as you will, really!

d)The prophesy stated only that the leader would "not live to enter the new land". Never said she would not get to see it.
Old October 17 2005, 11:52 PM   #244
illya_kuryakin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted by Trubinator:
It can't be the finale and everything else across the board looks fine. It's most certainly the magical cancer cure.
Well, maybe.

He said he was watching something. Dailies? No big deal. They're shooting until next month and can easily re-write and shoot new scenes. Definitely nothinbg to get worked up over. A bad casting decision? I doubt he has his hands in every casting choice, but even so, it's also not that big a deal. A mediocre actor doesn't seem to be the problem he's alluding to.

It's about the kind of show he wanted to make. We know he wanted Galactica to be everything Trek wasn't: surprising, provocative, topical, real.

It's also very possible it's something we nothing about : another major plot point that's impossible to change because it affects the course of too many other events and characters.

But you know what? Whatever it is, it ain't that big a deal. We know - and this is for you, Ron, if you're reading this - that RM and all of the cast and crew are busting their collective humps to make this show one of the best SF series EVER. Damn, it's one of the best things on the air, in any genre. An occasional screw-up is permitted. Just don't make a habit of it, ya hear?
Old October 18 2005, 09:20 AM   #245
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Now that I've stepped down from my pedestal supporting the Stem Cell thingo (just being proactive ) ...
Posted by Starwind:

d)The prophesy stated only that the leader would "not live to enter the new land". Never said she would not get to see it.
Oh yeah. I forgot that one. Thanks!

Posted by illya_kuryakin:
But you know what? Whatever it is, it ain't that big a deal. We know - and this is for you, Ron, if you're reading this - that RM and all of the cast and crew are busting their collective humps to make this show one of the best SF series EVER. Damn, it's one of the best things on the air, in any genre. An occasional screw-up is permitted. Just don't make a habit of it, ya hear?
So say we all!

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be something we never notice.
(and for the record I don't have a problem with the cylon plan, the baby etc I was just throwing up other potential ideas where he may have found himself in a position where he couldn't change direction but wanted to).

======
Old October 18 2005, 09:41 AM   #246
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Actually Illya I have a question for you.

Apparently at the "Galactica One convention" it was suggested that "There will be yet more revelations about new Cylons in the second half of the season. One of the main cast may be one." This was posted over at The Secret Cylon LJ. The poster from there, later posted over at the Galactica Actual BB and kindof implied in the post it may have been one of the cast that said it. Now they (cast or whomever it came from) may have just been joking or whatever, but I was wondering (since someone has apparently said that in public) if you've heard that and if you could comment? (And I understand if its something you don't want to comment on)

======
Old October 18 2005, 09:58 AM   #247
Lucky Red
Fleet Captain

Posted by Iarfirithwen:
d)The prophesy stated only that the leader would "not live to enter the new land".
Also, it's still not clear she's the dying leader.
Old October 18 2005, 12:29 PM   #248
Caprica_Six
Admiral

An interesting semi-spoiler comment from Mary in the official companion:

"I didn't want to sign on for a death scene in the first episode after the miniseries" she explains.
"So I talked to them about it, and I think we all agreed that the character's journey would take a few years to explore, at least. I certainly felt that she was going to be an intrinsic aspect of the story. But beyond that, they couldn't really say how the journey would evolve or exactly how long it would take".
As I said semi-spoiler
Old October 18 2005, 04:54 PM   #249
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I hope she lasts a while myself.
Old October 18 2005, 06:53 PM   #250
flux_29
Commodore

Mabye theres going to be a 'giant' battle and colonial one gets destroyed befor the others reach Earth.

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
Old October 18 2005, 09:54 PM   #251
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Posted by Lucky Red:
Already said that one (c)
Posted by flux_29:
Mabye theres going to be a 'giant' battle and colonial one gets destroyed befor the others reach Earth.
Yeh I hope she's around till the end.

But speaking of blowing up ships, I do wonder what they're going to do with nuke that Baltar gave Gina(?). Peggy in the final? (I think this was Caravaggio's speculation and I like it)? It does look like its still going to be around then.

======
Old October 18 2005, 10:54 PM   #252
Starwind
Fleet Captain

[
Posted by Lucky Red:
"And unto this leader was given a vision of serpents two-and-ten, as a sign of things to come." - Elosha
Old October 18 2005, 11:02 PM   #253
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Which is why I'm 95% sure it is her. But I'm sure someone could always argue that it was Vipers or something. I never see religious text as being set in stone.

======
Old October 19 2005, 08:06 AM   #254
Keen
Commander

Posted by Iarfirithwen:
Which is why I'm 95% sure it is her. But I'm sure someone could always argue that it was Vipers or something. I never see religious text as being set in stone.
But that would mean the leader would have to be one of the military folk who planned the attack. Starbuck perhaps.
Old October 19 2005, 09:10 AM   #255
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Oh God. Starbuck, pilot extraordinaire who can fly a biomechanical alien ship by pressing on its spleen, the best shot in and out of the cockpit who's even better than trained marine sharpshooters, who can interrogate a suspect better than marines or police, who can plan an attack better than the suddenly unintelligent and incompetent Apollo and Tigh with 40 years experience, who can beat a professional pyramid player, Anders, even though she hasn't played in years and less than a month earlier crushed her knee is now the dying religious leader of prophecy, too?? Please God noooooo! We accept that Starbuck's a competent woman, RDM and that we're sexist pigs for thinking she's anything but practically perfect in every way. No more, no more!!!!

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.