Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 9 2005, 09:01 PM   #211
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own ris

I don't think Kara is a great leader, either. She's too impulsive with too much of a hair trigger temper. I'm just saying that her being CAG as opposed to being in line for leadership of the Pegasus makes more sense. To be XO of a battlestar you need to be able to see the big picture.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old October 9 2005, 10:44 PM   #212
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

That's basically what Sackhoff said...that Starbuck gets tossed into every given situation and generally fucks things up for lack of a better term. Not to worry though, spoilers seem to indicate that she gets promoted because Lee gets promoted to XO of Pegasus, leaving the CAG spot open.
Old October 10 2005, 03:49 AM   #213
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Sackhoff seems to have a good handle on her character. I keep having to remind myself that she didn't ask to be "super Starbuck."

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old October 10 2005, 04:12 AM   #214
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Yeah...I only wish Scott Bakula had her level of good sense during the run of Enterprise. The show would have been better for it.
Old October 10 2005, 05:26 AM   #215
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

Posted by insert_name_here:
Is it just me or does it look like Apollo may be developing the Starbuck model of dealing with issues?
Sex, Angst and rock n roll?

As interesting as the Lee stuff is, do we have any indication of how what happens to Laura (you know the cylon cure thingo) effects her presidency or how people see her?
I mean she just started becoming buddies with Adama again, is he going to start seeing her like he see's Boomer? and will they ever get another scene together that deals with the fact that she is sick and she never told him?
And while I'm at it, in Ron Moore's interview it said we will see President Adar and a bit of what Laura's life was before...any spoilers regarding that at all?
All things I'd also like to know. I'm also really curious to know how the people in the RTF will see her after this (assuming they know, I assume they do if they knew she was dying before). I mean in 47-49,000 people there's got to be at least a few who would argue that it makes her a cylon now (blah). Surely it will crop up during the (what must be now) impending election. I hope that it doesn't change the way Adama sees her. I trust he would know more than the average extremist in the fleet. And what with her cancer and then possibly losing Billy she's going to need his support. Or atleast gods dammit recently they've just gone back to being supportive of one another, I hope he's there for her. And yes I wonder if we'll see acknowledgement of her not telling him about her cancer or will it be just one of those unspoken things? And what's with the flashback to Adar that RDM mentioned? How many months to go again?????

and that's the thing with the script excerpts for spoilers. They contain very little of either Roslin or Adama. It's good (there's no spoilers) and bad (there's no spoilers!!!).
Ah, the spoiler whore's paradox.

======
Old October 11 2005, 02:52 PM   #216
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Posted by morgoth:
As for using 'Stem Cells', soap operas have actually been using that as a convenient plot devise for the past few years; you see Embryonic Stem Cells only really work whe You DESTROY the Embryo (hence their controversy). However, you can get SOME stem cells from umbilicial cords (they aren't as good). But in the fantasic world of "Soap Opera Science" umbicilical cord stem cells can be harvested. Okay, it's tv science, but semi-plausible enough for me to be okay;

How did Baltar develop a cure while Colonial society did not? Why hasn't America made progress in this field, while Britain, Israel, China, and South Korea have? Maybe the Colonials didn't fully research it due to ethical complaints. Also, remember that they said there was a backlash against high-technology after the First Cylon War.

On the Discovery Health Channel's series on Lance Armstrong-inspuired cancer reoveries, there was this "magical" stem cell solution.

A woman had severe recurring cancer. One technique they tried was giving her adult brother (a close genetic match) drugs to extremely boost his stem cells. THey took out the blood, centrifuged out a majority of the stem cells, and returned the rest to her brother.

It helped quite a bit, though not the final solution for her. So the "magical stem cell solution" is in fact a reality...but as you said, it may be not as effective as killing embryos, but it can work. And with less ethical dilemma.

I wouldn't be so worried about "magical stem cells" as much as Boomer being the nuBSG's "Wesley Crusher" -- the source of all the week's major problems. (i.e. Fiber optic plug in to CYlon fighters? ?)
Old October 12 2005, 05:06 AM   #217
V
Commodore

A woman had severe recurring cancer. One technique they tried was giving her adult brother (a close genetic match) drugs to extremely boost his stem cells. THey took out the blood, centrifuged out a majority of the stem cells, and returned the rest to her brother.

It helped quite a bit, though not the final solution for her. So the "magical stem cell solution" is in fact a reality...but as you said, it may be not as effective as killing embryos, but it can work. And with less ethical dilemma.

Actually no. The magical stem cell solution is in no way a reality. Adult stem cells don't work that well; it turns out that what makes bone marrow produce blood is the stem cells in bone marrow (thus when you say "I need a marrow transplant", you really might as well say "I need a bone marrow Stem Cell transplant" because it's the stem cells in the marrow you want.

Secondly, I honestly cannot understand the sequence of event you just described. Not clear.

Adult Stem Cells aren't the majic bullet, they do some things but as they lack any telomerase their telomeres will degrade over time to the point that they senescense; they aren't highly effective.

You got your information from a one hour tv show. I am a biology major at university, and we were taught this last month. And I am telling you, whatever thing you saw would not be a full cure.
Old October 12 2005, 05:34 PM   #218
illya_kuryakin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted by Lucky Red:
There ya go. A Cylon so badass, they call him Scar. Sounds like a good hour of really distastefull cylon violence. I like it
*** Major Spoilers *** - a Battlestar Q&A with Ron Moore
Ron interview

Quote:
We’re going to be doing big episodes with the other battlestar, Pegasus. We’ve got a big fighter plane combat episode that’s all about Kara and one of our other pilots named Kat and their competition with each other and sort of with themselves as regards to one Cylon raider out there that keeps coming back and killing pilots again and again.

This is episode #14 SCAR
Old October 12 2005, 05:36 PM   #219
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Oh, the raider must have some visible surface damage. Scar. I get it. They call the raider "scar." It's probably a double meaning title. Refers to emotional scars as well.

Old October 12 2005, 05:37 PM   #220
illya_kuryakin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted by warpaint:
Ep.16 kicks ass, too. Pegasus features prominently. Relationships, viper battles, religious controversy. It's love and war, baby.
illya_kuryakin

Wait, where did you get all this info about ep.16 ? Do you have access to scripts ? I think we might need to become best friends ...
You don't actually think I'm going to answer that question, do you?

And sorry, the postion of "best friend" is currently filled.
Old October 12 2005, 09:04 PM   #221
frankncc72405a
Captain

Posted by illya_kuryakin:
Alright, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.

"You're not my type" - Gina, BSG:Resurrection Ship pt2

How Ridiculous!!!(tm)

"Wake up and smell the psychosis."
Old October 13 2005, 12:50 AM   #222
illya_kuryakin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted by frankncc72405a:
Alright, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.
Wow. You people give up easily. No one even tried to bribe me with wine or flowers or DVD box sets

Speaking of best friends, I was sitting around with mine last night flipping channels and China Beach was on. Now that was a great show. Of course, we all know Robert Picardo was on Voyager, and Marg Helgenberger is busting baddies on CSI, but I wonder what that hottie Dana Delany is working on these days? *cough*
Old October 13 2005, 01:03 AM   #223
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Oh yeah. Delaney's going to be making an appearance. Nifty.

Old October 13 2005, 01:20 AM   #224
illya_kuryakin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Oh yeah. Delaney's going to be making an appearance. Nifty.
You knew about that? Fine. I'll do better next time.
Old October 13 2005, 11:01 AM   #225
Iarfirithwen
Lieutenant Commander

You knew about that? Fine. I'll do better next time.
That's new (re. Delany).

And?

*prod*
(Lucky I can't bribe you with stuff from down here )

======