Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 20 2005, 08:53 PM   #91
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

if anyone wants to recommend my fan-fic, feel free. the poster will immediately get tuckerised into my next fan-fic 'The Romulan War'
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2005, 09:28 PM   #92
trampledamage
Clone

Posted by captcalhoun:
if anyone wants to recommend my fan-fic, feel free. the poster will immediately get tuckerised into my next fan-fic 'The Romulan War'
"tuckerised"

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2005, 12:10 AM   #93
Walter Sochack
Commodore

Could mean a noble death, saving people. Or it could mean having a torrid love affair with the curviest object on the bridge. Or being eaten, tucker being food in the Aussie sense, bonza-tucker mate, crikey. You may all now shoot me for typing that.

---------------------------------
SIGNPOSTS FROM THE KLINGON BORDER
Walter Sochack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2005, 03:07 AM   #94
mackillian
Fleet Captain

I much prefer stabbing.

*stab*
Old October 21 2005, 07:26 AM   #95
captcalhoun
Admiral

tuckerized is nothing to do with a certain engineer. rather it relates to a Walter Tucker who would name characters in stories after fans. hence the term tuckerized or tuckerization. so being tuckerized would mean there would be a character with your real name in the story.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2005, 09:22 AM   #96
trampledamage
Clone

Posted by captcalhoun:
tuckerized is nothing to do with a certain engineer. rather it relates to a Walter Tucker who would name characters in stories after fans. hence the term tuckerized or tuckerization. so being tuckerized would mean there would be a character with your real name in the story.
Ooh, now that sounds much nicer!

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2005, 05:17 AM   #97
RookieBatman
Commodore

I notice that most of these are quite long. Can someone recommend an episodic fanfic where each episode is short enough that an average person could read it in a single sitting?
Old November 3 2005, 05:24 AM   #98
Scatter
Captain

Posted by RookieBatman:
I notice that most of these are quite long. Can someone recommend an episodic fanfic where each episode is short enough that an average person could read it in a single sitting?
in the spirit of the thread i won't say anything in regards the quality - or lack thereof - but illustrious is roughly a 45 minute read per ep...
Old November 3 2005, 05:39 AM   #99
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Lynx,

No mentioning of my Kes stories.
Heh... don't feel too bad... nobody here has ever mentioned or suggested my work either, which is QUITE extensive, and detailed. Don't take it personally... as long as your story thread has views, you know you have a readership. Hopefully, some of your readers provide you with feedback from time to time.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2005, 08:04 AM   #100
Scatter
Captain

Posted by BolianAdmiral:
Hopefully, some of your readers provide you with feedback from time to time.
Agreed. I have a pretty decent (large maybe - i dunno what the norm is) readership, and no feedback whatsoever. It can be a little frustrating at times.

Maybe we need a writers cooperative. A small group of writers that will honestly and constructively critique each others work. Not sure if that would work, just thinking aloud...
Old November 3 2005, 08:34 AM   #101
Naraht
Rear Admiral

My hope for the writing contest that is ongoing now is that everyone who enters will read everyone else's work, and comment on it. This is workable because all the stories are going to be under 1000 words. It hasn't happened yet, but I can dream...

EDIT: It's also worth noting, in a general way, that feedback and recommendations are not the same thing. All stories deserve feedback, but not all stories deserve to be recommended.
Naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2005, 04:16 PM   #102
mackillian
Fleet Captain

I'd be happy to help in setting up a crit group.
Old November 3 2005, 04:22 PM   #103
RookieBatman
Commodore

Posted by Scatter:
in the spirit of the thread i won't say anything in regards the quality - or lack thereof - but illustrious is roughly a 45 minute read per ep...
It looks interesting, but I have a really short attention span. I was more looking for something about half that length? It looks like it's good quality, though.
Old December 7 2005, 01:17 AM   #104
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Okay, now that I've been haunting around here for a few months, I've found much of the work here to my liking.

Here's my current top 3 favorites that I'd recommend to others. Be advised, all 3 are fairly long, involved stories, but the character development inherent to each of them is part of the draw for me.

Walter Sochack's Rust Red series is top-notch, a very different take on the Trek universe from a unique perspective.

The next two stories are set in similar time periods and locations, mainly post-Dominion War Cardassia. Both give a cold, hard look at the stark realities of peacekeeping in a land where those who've ostensibly come to help are looked upon as invaders and occupiers.

DarKush's ST: Aegis - "The Valley of Peace" : Follows a troubled captain and his crew on a mission with galactic repercussions if they fail. It's a terrific read, which flows well and has both plenty of action as well as wonderful character development. These are characters you'll want to stay in touch with in forthcoming adventures.

Rat Boy's ST: Yorktown - "Preserve, Protect, & Defend" : Tells the story of a newly minted captain given an unenviable assignment that could lead to plunging the quadrant back into war. Again, fantastic character development that sets up a series that begs for additional episodes.

And that would be my $0.02
Old December 8 2005, 03:01 PM   #105
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I would be remiss if I didn't recommend Gibraltar's Star Trek Gibraltar story, "Embers of the Fire". It can currently be viewed at Trek Writer's Guild.
It is set in the immediate Dominion War post-war period with a Starfleet crew that is bare bones and believable, on a ship considered more work horse than thorough bred, so its definitely a view of Trek that's not seen often.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote