Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old April 25 2005, 09:00 AM   #31
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Re: TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

Posted by Emperor Tiberius:
I give every fic I write two proofreads; one just after it's completed, and then a second before it is posted. But it's true, whenever I review a completed fic later on, I find, invariably, that errors still got through my filtering process.
It is indeed very difficult to spot errors when they're your own. Have you ever tried having someone else proofread your fiction, though? I have six friends who read my stories critically before I post them publicly; only three of them read for grammar/spelling/typos, but even so, that's enough to ensure that the story is pretty clean before it goes up on TrekBBS. I would highly recommend this approach, if you can find people generous enough to spare their time.
Naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2005, 11:56 PM   #32
Starkers
Admiral

I recommend Star Trek: Vesta, a fantastic series by local writer Starkers.

I've read lots of Trek fiction over the years, but none has come closer to capturing the feel of a true Trek series the way his has. Vesta has the joviality and wonder of TOS, mixed with the intrigue of DS9, and is staffed with a command crew to rival Picard's, IMHO. Again, I can't recommend it enough.

You know, this BBS really needs a blushing emoticon! Words can't describe how much that description of my work means...especially since you compared it to my three favourite treks. Coming from you, it means a lot.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2005, 06:42 AM   #33
Emperor Tiberius
Commodore

Think nothing of it Starkers, it's how I feel, and the comments are well deserved.

Posted by Naraht:
It is indeed very difficult to spot errors when they're your own. Have you ever tried having someone else proofread your fiction, though? I have six friends who read my stories critically before I post them publicly; only three of them read for grammar/spelling/typos, but even so, that's enough to ensure that the story is pretty clean before it goes up on TrekBBS. I would highly recommend this approach, if you can find people generous enough to spare their time.
I've never been huge on the whole beta thing. In the 99 fics I've posted to this bbs (counting only the ones 15-80 pages), I have only employed a beta reader when said reader was also contributing to the project, and I wanted to maintain our own story continuity. Never for the purpose of catching grammatical mistakes. Now, that's my own personal preference to be sure, but you Naraht say you employ three checkers just for spelling, but yet when I was casually reading your "How to advance your career through marriage" I spotted 12 errors without even trying, some of them quite blatant, so using beta's is obviously far from a perfect method.

Of course, a good reason I don't usually use beta's myself is that I produce 30-40 pages of copy a week, every week, and I wouldn't wish that editing responsibility on my worst enemy.

1800fics The greatest stories ever written in exactly thirty minutes...
Emperor Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2005, 04:26 PM   #34
mon capitaine
Rear Admiral

you employ three checkers just for spelling, but yet when I was casually reading your "How to advance your career through marriage" I spotted 12 errors without even trying, some of them quite blatant, so using beta's is obviously far from a perfect method.
Who dares to cast aspersions on my poof-reading skills?

Old April 26 2005, 04:48 PM   #35
Vice Admiral

Posted by mon capitaine:
Who dares to cast aspersions on my poof-reading skills?
Jeez, I guess I'll have to, 'cause the "poof" is in the pudding ...
Old April 26 2005, 05:36 PM   #36
Naraht
Rear Admiral

I've never been huge on the whole beta thing. In the 99 fics I've posted to this bbs (counting only the ones 15-80 pages), I have only employed a beta reader when said reader was also contributing to the project, and I wanted to maintain our own story continuity. Never for the purpose of catching grammatical mistakes. Now, that's my own personal preference to be sure, but you Naraht say you employ three checkers just for spelling, but yet when I was casually reading your "How to advance your career through marriage" I spotted 12 errors without even trying, some of them quite blatant, so using beta's is obviously far from a perfect method.
Twelve errors? Well, that's more than I consider acceptable; if you have the time to let me know what they are, I would be most obliged.

I think you misread me slightly... I don't "employ three checkers just for spelling". I have some friends who are generous enough to give me their detailed opinions on my writing; three of them extend their remit to copyediting matters, including spelling, grammar and continuity. Any mistakes left in the finished work are, of course, my own. But nonetheless, there are fewer mistakes than there would have been otherwise, and that's all I ask of the system. I think it's worth making the effort, even if perfection is the goal rather than the result.
Naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2005, 06:36 PM   #37
Starkers
Admiral

See this is why I try not to throw stones...'Cos I know I live in a really big glass house

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2005, 10:38 PM   #38
Captain X
Rear Admiral

I don't suppose I could talk a Mod into stickying this...
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2005, 08:28 AM   #39
RevdKathy
Bridezilla

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

I suppose you might. Though even stickying doesn't prevent it going eventually if no-one posts. I'll see if I can find any drawing pins...
Old May 24 2005, 12:01 AM   #40
Wenya
Fleet Captain

*peeks in* Wow. A fan-fiction forum. Neat! Reading addict, here, and only stumbled into Trek-dom as of last fall. --And now that Enterprise is cancelled, I'm looking for fun stuff to read, to help forget that which was the series' finale.

Anyhow, I wanted to recommend a fic effort done by a rather superb writer, Maggie (or Miss Maggie on TrekBBS). It is titled Reviviscence, and is set during the first season of Enterprise. All the fics on the hosting website, triptofan, are great, but they tend to tread into the 'shipper waters -- and I'm not sure how people feel about 'ships around here. Reviviscence is a nice, spooky drama, and although the entirety of it isn't posted, I don't believe it's a WIP -- it's just being posted chapter by chapter.

Here's a brief summary: On probation, Enterprise is sent to investigate a nebula that emits a multi-phasic radiation that has previously deterred all exploratory missions. The ship enters the nebula -- coined the "Miasma" by the crew -- only to find that there’s more to the phenomenon than space dust and gas.

Wenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2005, 11:33 AM   #41

Hi.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/423703/

I'd like to highly recommend an original series author, whose work I mainly find on fanfiction.net. Her nym is SterJ, and this woman knows TOS canon and characters inside, outside and upside down. She's got several types of stories, one of which are "After the Credits" stories.

Some are hysterically funny and will bring a whole new meaning to the ep next time I see it (eg, "Spock's Brain.") Some are extremely poignant and had me openly weeping (eg, "The Omega Glory" believe it or not.)

She's also got "Daycare Series" stories about young Kirk and Spock knowing one another (one I read had Jimmy telling Spock they were moving to -- the planet escapes me -- the planet where Kodos the Executioner is governor.)

Any way, read her stuff. Send her a review. I've read a LOT of her works, and I've yet to find anything not agreeing 100% with characterization (outside any slash-y stuff, which is very rare with her) and canon.
Old August 21 2005, 06:03 AM   #42

Posted by Naraht:
Posted by TimmyWl:
I sincerely apologize for that.

I'm just tired from all the effort I put into the story only to find out that I have only one reader.
Please don't worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, your story is one that I would definitely like to get into. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to read very long stories online, especially if they're posted here, because I find the formatting not too easy on the eyes. If it were a book that I could curl up with in the evenings, I would be there. Hmm, maybe someday...?
Just a thought: You could copy and paste it to a word document, so you can change the leter size and type...
Old August 21 2005, 06:15 AM   #43
TimmyWl
Commodore

I've got it on Word so if you like you can PM me with your email address.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2005, 04:45 PM   #44

I tried clicking on the Star Trek"lazarus link and I got nothing. Is there another way to get the story?
Old September 5 2005, 09:59 PM   #45
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Whoa Nellie is an award-winning writing team of two women who have been writing what we affectionately term 'Star Trek Bodice-Rippers' for nearly a decade. We have been posting some of our stories in this forum, but others could not be posted here because after the naughty bits were removed to meet the PG-13 rule, there wasn't much left other than the title. We currently have four universes: two TNG universes, a Voyager universe and our Star Wars stories. For your convenience, this is a comprehensive list of the Whoa Nellie collection to date and the websites where they can be found. The stories are listed for each Whoa Nellie universe in the order in which they occur. *Some of the TNG stories are archived at both sites depending on whether or not Picard and Vash appear as a major pairing in the story.

Whoa Nellie's Sci-Fi Romance Fan Fiction Website

TWIST OF FATE SERIES (VOYAGER): *stories are all R to NC-17 rated for romance novel-style sex scenes

Blessings of the Sky Spirits : Chakotay experiences the most unique vision quest of his life.

Wyrd : Following a strange vision quest , Chakotay finds that he has brought someone back with him from his vision.

What Comes Naturally : Nature takes its course with Chakotay and his new bride aboard Voyager.

Fresh Perspective : Plot? What plot? Chakotay and Ceshlyta enjoy an afternoon of horseback riding on the holodeck.

Culinary Delights : Fun with food. (WARNING: A Plot-free zone ahead) Includes: C/f, K/7, J/Kirk, P/T

Chaos : Chaos Theory becomes reality when Voyager's crew finds itself lost in Chaotic space. This is a rewrite of the episode The Fight (SPOILER ALERT-- but changes have been made).

Unforeseen Circumstances : When B'Elanna decides to play a prank on Ceshlyta, things go horribly wrong. Meanwhile, Harry takes Sassy's advice regarding Seven of Nine.

A Matter of Definition : PWP--Chakotay and Ceshlyta have a difference of definition. Harry and Seven begin dating.

Love and Copulation : Harry and Seven take things to the next level.

Million Kilometer High Club : Completely Plotless--Chakotay gives Ceshlyta a flying lesson.

Comings and Goings : An away team mission to a seemingly-uninhabited planet raises interesting issues for Chakotay and his wife as well as Harry and Seven.

Bare Necessities : When the Voyager crew encounters an alien race in need, Mother Nature provides the recipe for solving their problem.

Vulnerability : Something is affecting the crew of Voyager and no one is immune.

When in Rome : When in Rome, do as the Romans do takes on a whole new meaning. (C/f and K/7)

Reporting for Duty : PWP--absolutely no plot. Sassy stops by Chakotay's office to drop off her report.

MISCELLANEOUS STAR TREK STORIES: *stories are all R to NC-17 rated for romance novel-style sex scenes

ACADEMY DAYS

Playing Doctor : Academy days story in which medical student Beverly Howard gets a taste of the Indian Outlaw himself, Cadet First Class Chakotay.

THE NEXT GENERATION

Connections : A dream is a wish your heart makes. Picard/Crusher story that occurs during TNG season seven episode 'Attached.' Ever wonder what those 'interesting dreams' of Picard's were that Beverly referred to? ***2003 ASC Award winner in Picard/Crusher Pairing*** ***2004 Hot Fudge Sundae award in the Sacred Chalice of Rixx contest***

Career Advancement : PWP In the mirror universe, Imperial Captain Picard discovers the matrimonial effect on the chain of command. (Warning: Character death)

Incendiary : The Enterprise is assigned to evaluate the final stage of a planet's application for admission into the Federation. When Chakotay becomes a last-minute addition to the sociology team assisting with the evaluation, Beverly and he enjoy a hot reunion. Meanwhile, is someone trying to sabotage the membership application? Includes: C/Chakotay, P/Vash, R/T, crew

Blue Moon Lagoon : PWP Beverly and Chakotay share a romantic evening during a leave on Risa. This occurs after the events of Incendiary but before Speaking in Tongues. (Seema's OPI Nail Polish Challenge and Lori's Evil Lyric Challenge combined.)

Speaking in Tongues : Someone is planning an assassination at Daystrom Institute's Annual Science Symposium. The question is just who is planning to kill whom. Includes P/Vash, C/Chakotay, crew

Eye of the Beholder : The crew of the Enterprise and some of Voyager's former crew join forces to find a missing Seven of Nine. SPOILER WARNING--events from all seven VOY seasons are discussed in varying degrees of detail. Includes P/Vash, C/Chakotay, almost everybody from TNG and VOY as well as a cameo appearance from a DS9.

Happily After All : Beverly and Chakotay tie the knot.

Chocolate By Any Other Name Three couples vacation together in a twenty-fourth century look at the eternal battle of the sexes. (P/Vash, C/Chakotay, R/T)

Divergences (Crossover with Stargate SG-1): A mishap forces the Picards, Chakotay and Beverly to work with an unusual team of allies--SG1. (PG-13)

Massage : PWP--seriously, pure smut. Chakotay helps Beverly relax after a long, hard day.

Patterns of Behavior : Old habits haunt Picard, Crusher and Chakotay with Vash an innocent victim. (Relationship/character-centered with elements of P/Vash, P/C and Crusher/Chakotay but no actual smut.) Just think of it as a clip show.

VOYAGER

Curiosity : Plot? Please, there's not even a point. Let's just say that Seven satisfies her curiosity.

STAR WARS STORIES: *stories are all R to NC-17 rated for romance-novel style sex scenes

The Rogue and the Princess : Han and Leia's wedding night receives the full blown Whoa Nellie treatment of fanfiction romance.

Practice Session : In Whoa Nellie's follow up to "The Rogue and the Princess," Her Royal Highness the Princess of Alderaan receives a combined lesson in the Force and her effect on men from her pirate husband.

Whoa Nellie's Picard/Vash Romance Fan Fiction Website

Oh, Risa! PG: Parting is such sweet symphony. The unseen parting scenes of Picard and Vash's first interlude on Risa in Captain's Holiday as told by Rodgers and Hammerstein.

While Waiting NC 17: During the episode Qpid, ever wonder what happened after Vash was taken to spend the night in the dungeon with Picard?

Double Entendre NC 17: During the Enterprise E's final fittings, Vash comes onboard as the ship's Chief Archaeologist. The evil Alternate Picard from the mirror universe appears to steal the new ship's schematics when he spots Vash and decides to take her with him. Can Picard stop his counterpart, saving his ship and the woman he loves?

Femme Fatale NC 17: Vash alters the newest Dixon Hill holodeck program giving Picard a birthday surprise he will never forget.

Beauty and the Q PG: Q tries to persuade Vash to leave Picard and travel the universe with him. The entity places Picard and Vash in the "Beauty and the Beast" fairytale. Can Picard convince Vash to stay with him?

Tour de Force NC 17: A group of terrorists have taken the Federation's Archaeology Council hostage. As the ranking Federation representative in the system, Picard must resolve the crisis. The situation is further complicated by the Captain's relationship with one of the hostages.

The Goose and the Gander NC 17: With a little more than a month left until Picard and Vash's wedding day, Riker and LaForge plan a bachelor party for their captain. Not to be outdone, Beverly and Deanna throw Vash a bachelorette party the following week

Here There Be Q-nicorns NC 17: On the eve of Picard and Vash's first anniversary, Q shows up to bestow a gift. He changes Vash into a virgin and throws the couple into a medieval adventure complete with knights, castles, and dragons.

Nocturnal Transmissions NC 17 *Winner of 'The Sacred Chalice of Riix IDIC Award' Summer 2004 presented for the best work concerning an alternate universe of reality*: The evil Alternate Picard from the mirror universe returns for Vash. Can Picard stop his counterpart and save the love of his life?

In the Line of Duty **A 2000 A.S.C Award Winner** NC 17: With the Federation-Klingon treaty up for renegotiation, the Enterprise is assigned to escort the Federation's diplomatic envoy to Qo'nos. The Klingon High Council is divided between pro-Federation and pro-Romulan factions. The Romulans have decided to openly pursue a treaty of their own by sending their own ambassador to the Klingon Home World. The Enterprise crew soon discovers the only thing more perilous to the Klingon Empire than a vote for the Romulans maybe a vote for the Federation.

The Wonders of Nature **A 2000 A.S.C Award Winner** NC 17: Plot? What plot? Where we're going . . . we don't need plots! This little offering takes place in Whoa Nellie's 1st timeline about a week after "In the Line of Duty." Inspiration for this came from my favorite scene in the movie "Four Seasons" and Lori's TNG fanfic "Maneuvers in the Dark" from her Kerzoinky AU series which showed me it could be done - and done very well - in the fanfic format.

Volte-face NC 17: The most joyous time in the Picards' lives suddenly takes an unexpected turn.

Baby Dribbles PG : A series of 12 drabbles portraying scenes from the most wondrous time in the Picards' lives.

Parturition PG: Giving birth is hard to do.

Reasons of the Heart **A 1999 A.S.C Award Winner** NC 17: While investigating a quantum fissure, the Enterprise E (from the canon universe) discovers a breach between their quantum reality and one other reality(the universe created by Whoa Nellie). While the ships work together to close the breach, the canon Picard notices things in his counterpart's life that are missing in his own. After returning to his own universe, the canon Picard decides to pursue his heart's true desire. [Author's note: This story does stand on its own. It is not necessary to have read any of Whoa Nellie's other works. Whoa Nellie was having so much fun that she decided one universe couldn't possibly hold it all. So she needed two. Ain't Sci-Fi grand!]

Stolen Hearts PG 13: This is the second story in Whoa Nellie's 'Reasons of the Heart' timeline. The story does stand on it's own. While Archaeology Councilmember Vash is participating in an archaeological dig on Nimbus IV, Romulans invade the site, taking the entire expedition captive and surrounding the planet with three warbirds. The Enterprise is ordered to proceed directly to Nimbus III for negotiations with the Romulans which will be mediated by the Klingons. However, The Enterprise is ordered not to engage the Romulans surrounding Nimbus IV in any fashion. Will Captain Picard be able to find a way to rescue Vash and her colleagues without disobeying orders?

The Answer NC 17: Plot? What plot? Where we're going . . . we don't need plots! This little offering is the third story in Whoa Nellie's 'Reasons of the Heart' timeline. This story takes place directly after 'Stolen Hearts.'

The Specter of the Enterprise NC 17: This story takes place in Whoa Nellie's "Reasons of the Heart" timeline sometime after "The Answer." While starring in a shipboard production of Webber's 'Phantom of the Opera,' Vash finds herself ensnared in a real life version of the libretto.

Brass and Brazen NC 17: PWP - Plot and plot! What is plot?! This story takes place sometime after "The Answer" in the "Reasons of the Heart" timeline. However, it does stand on it's own.

Carpe Diem NC 17: A frazzled fiancee', a frustrated Frenchman -- what happens next is pure fun and folly, but a good time is had by all.

Midsummer's Q NC 17: While dropping in on crew of the Enterprise, Q gets a naughty idea for fun from the Bard himself. This little offering takes place after "Carpe Diem" in Whoa Nellie's 'Reasons of the Heart' timeline. The story does stand on it's own.

Kiss My Asp NC 17: The Captain is summoned to service his Queen Bee.

Perfectly Resistible NC 17: A recent widow, Kamala of Vault Minor returns to the Enterprise. What happens if a metamorph *bonds* to someone they have no claim on?

Incendiary NC 17: The Enterprise is assigned to evaluate the final stage of a planet's application for admission into the Federation. When Chakotay becomes a last-minute addition to the sociology team assisting with the evaluation, Beverly and he enjoy a hot reunion. Meanwhile, is someone trying to sabotage the membership application?

Spelunk This NC 17: Jean-Luc and Vash contend with differing views on how to spend their shoreleave. This story takes place in the "Reasons of the Heart" timeline shortly after "Incendiary."

Teacher's Pet NC 17: PWP. Plot and plot, what is plot? Picard engages in some extracurricular activity with his favorite archaeology professor.

Speaking in Tongues NC 17: Someone is planning an assassination at the Daystrom Institute's Annual Science Symposium. The question is just who is planning to kill whom.

Eye of the Beholder NC 17: The crew of the Enterprise and some of Voyager's former crew join forces to find a missing Seven of Nine.

Chocolate By Any Other Name R: Three couples vacation together in a twenty-fourth century look at the eternal battle of the sexes.

The Goddess FaQtor **A 2004 A.S.C Award Winner** NC-17: During her adventures with Q, Vash tried to stay out of trouble. Picard finds out just how unsuccessful she was as well as how little help Q was.

The Wolf with the Red Roses NC-17: Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?

Divergences **A 2004 A.S.C Award Winner** PG-13: A mishap forces the Picards, Chakotay and Beverly to work with an unusual team of allies--SG1.

Patterns of Behavior PG-13: Old habits haunt Picard, Crusher and Chakotay with Vash an innocent victim. (Relationship/character-centered with elements of P/Vash, P/C and Crusher/Chakotay but no actual smut.) Just think of it as a clip show.