Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

San Diego Comic-Con Star Trek Uglydolls
By: T'Bonz on Jun 25

Trek 3 Vancouver Filming
By: T'Bonz on Jun 25

Yarnall’s Cancer Battle
By: T'Bonz on Jun 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old April 21 2005, 05:06 AM   #16
ghiaman74
Commander

Re: TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

I will continue the shameless parade of selfpromotion. If you like short stories, I have a couple TNG shorts at www.fanfiction.net/~ghiaman.

If you're looking for a series, I have recieved much praise for Nightingale's Song, a fanfic about a hospital ship trapped behind enemy lines during the Dominion war. It takes place in the days surrounding the first episode of DS9 season 6. A couple of DS9 reaccuring characters even show up. The link is in my sig below.

Ghiaman's FanFiction
ghiaman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2005, 05:19 AM   #17
Vice Admiral

Well, if nobody says it ... I won't either.
Old April 21 2005, 07:29 AM   #18
TimmyWl
Commodore

m......meh?

say what?
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2005, 08:59 AM   #19
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Uh, guys, recommending your own stories is really missing the point of this thread. Of course we all like our own work. But it won't really help readers decide which stories to try if authors just say "try mine... it's great... really".
Naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2005, 12:52 PM   #20
Vice Admiral

Posted by Naraht:
Uh, guys, recommending your own stories is really missing the point of this thread. Of course we all like our own work. But it won't really help readers decide which stories to try if authors just say "try mine... it's great... really".
That was my point.
Old April 21 2005, 01:21 PM   #21
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Posted by 47:
Posted by Naraht:
That was my point.
Obviously a bit too subtle for me. Thanks.
Old April 22 2005, 02:57 AM   #22
TimmyWl
Commodore

I sincerely apologize for that.

I'm just tired from all the effort I put into the story only to find out that I have only one reader.

The one thing that I would recommend, however, would be the Rust Red series by a Walter Schoak (sp?). You can find his comments on my thread and thus can be linked through clicking on his name and then finding his posts as of late.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2005, 06:10 AM   #23
mac
Vice Admiral

If you guys can give me a day or three I'll try to read everyones' stories and try to leave some feedback.
Cool?
"It's a summons." "What's a summons?" "It means summon's in trouble." -- Rocky and Bullwinkle

mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2005, 08:12 AM   #24
Scatter
Captain

^ everyones in this thread, or everyones who posts here regularly. coz if it's the latter, you'll have a tough time getting through it in a day or three...
Old April 22 2005, 05:33 PM   #25
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Endeavour alone could take you 2-3 days to read, though I'd be more than happy to have you read through even just the first episode and see what you think (there's 13 so far).
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2005, 09:55 AM   #26
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Posted by TimmyWl:
I sincerely apologize for that.

I'm just tired from all the effort I put into the story only to find out that I have only one reader.
Please don't worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, your story is one that I would definitely like to get into. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to read very long stories online, especially if they're posted here, because I find the formatting not too easy on the eyes. If it were a book that I could curl up with in the evenings, I would be there. Hmm, maybe someday...?
Old April 24 2005, 09:56 AM   #27
Emperor Tiberius
Commodore

I recommend Star Trek: Vesta, a fantastic series by local writer Starkers.

I've read lots of Trek fiction over the years, but none has come closer to capturing the feel of a true Trek series the way his has. Vesta has the joviality and wonder of TOS, mixed with the intrigue of DS9, and is staffed with a command crew to rival Picard's, IMHO. Again, I can't recommend it enough.

As for the editing failings you may have found in my own work, Naraht, I can only apologize and say that I am but one man toiling within the timeframe my spare hours allow. Never thought of it as 'slapdash' though, but what can I say Nar, not everybody can be as perfect a writer as you obviously must be.

I give every fic I write two proofreads; one just after it's completed, and then a second before it is posted. But it's true, whenever I review a completed fic later on, I find, invariably, that errors still got through my filtering process. Personally, I have yet to come across a published novel without a single grammatical mistake in it, so at least I'm not alone...

1800fics The greatest stories ever written in exactly thirty minutes...
Emperor Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2005, 10:39 AM   #28
Emperor Tiberius
Commodore

Sorry, nearly forgot, but Naraht, I read your How to advance your career through marriage, and found it to be an excellent 'what if?' style MU fic, especially the passive-aggressive interplay between Bev and Jean. It was superb.

Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to that alternate "Farpoint" fic you've got brewing.

Old April 24 2005, 12:49 PM   #29
Naraht
Rear Admiral

Emperor Tiberius, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to be as harsh as I must have sounded. My post was really about my own failings as a reader in not being able to get past copyediting issues. The fact is that being a good writer has nothing to do with being a careful typist, or whatever, and I'm sure that I'm missing out on a lot of good stories because of it. I may give your series another try...

And thank you for the generous praise of my own work. Very classy of you to bother.
Old April 24 2005, 10:33 PM   #30
Emperor Tiberius
Commodore

Not a problem, Naraht, I was just speaking the truth, if I like a story I say it. Hmmm, keep getting this weird text error when I post, maybe Gojirob isn't being paranoid, and this place really is haunted with diabolical spy ware.