Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 2 2014, 06:39 PM   #1411
Marika
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Welcome new Voyager fans!

Mareika wrote: View Post
Marika wrote: View Post
Mareika wrote: View Post

I`m already in his quarter.

Welcome Marika.
I swaer i didn't stole your name lol, I use Marika since 2007 on internet lol

Hi Mareika
Hey. Funny, that our nicknames are so similar and we both like Chakotay.
do you read the VOy books?
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2014, 11:28 PM   #1412
Hypaspist
Commander

Hi,
I'm about to give the series a run-through like I haven't done before. I remember enjoying more episodes than I didn't back when Voyager was new. I actually liked Captain Janeway, even if the rest of the crew irritated me. I think it was just easier for me to get into than DS9 because of its episodic nature and the Science Fiction (not Space Opera) concepts.
I never got to the 7 of 9 episodes and I heard that was where the series really took off.
Hypaspist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 03:43 PM   #1413
Janeway's Girl
Captain

Welcome! Captain Janeway is pretty awesome I would definitely say that Voyager got a lot better starting in S4. Though I don't think Seven is the sole reason. I just think the story lines became more interesting.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 06:03 PM   #1414
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I've been watching Voyager for the last few months on Syfy in the UK. We are now up to half way through season 7 and I am really getting twitchy about the show ending! I have really fallen in love with the cast/crew and enjoyed getting to know Voyager so much. It's taken me 15 years but I have certainly become a fan! And I admit to having been a major basher in the past.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2014, 12:34 AM   #1415
Janeway's Girl
Captain

I just started S5 and I'm already sad but there are plenty of post-Voyager books to be read so that's comforting.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2014, 04:28 AM   #1416
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Wills Babe I'm so glad you've enjoyed it!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2014, 05:20 AM   #1417
Catarina
Captain

It's a great crew :-) I love them.
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2014, 07:01 AM   #1418
Catarina
Captain

hello

I've been lurking probably seven months now. I figure I should just sign up already and quit acting shy.
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2014, 12:57 AM   #1419
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Welcome Caterina! I hope you enjoy posting here

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 11 2014, 03:14 AM   #1420
Grathon Tolar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello. I recently started posting.

I've been a fan of Voyager for a while. I like it because, even though there's a fair amount of crap (note that this is by no means unique to VOY), there is genuine heart and emotional truth throughout the show. My favorite episode is Year Of Hell. My second favourite is Lineage, for personal reasons (I really dig that scoliosis is revealed to be common among Klingons).
Old October 27 2014, 01:27 AM   #1421
Corylea
Lieutenant Commander

I've been a TOS fan since I first saw it in 1969, at the age of eleven, but until recently, I'd never seen any other Star Trek. You see, in 1986, I moved into a TV-free household, so when TNG came out the following year, I didn't even know it was on, and I didn't watch any television for a couple of decades. Yes, DECADES.

Then I read a book by Gretchen Rubin called The Happiness Project, in which she recommends that people get back in touch with things they'd loved to do as children. I remembered how much my teenaged self had loved Star Trek, so I bought the TOS DVD's and re-watched all 79 episodes. Yep, still love TOS , especially (but not exclusively) Spock.

I realized that there were other Star Treks out there and stared TNG. I watched the first 6 - 7 episodes and just didn't warm up to it. My friends all told me that it would get better, and I'm sure I'll go back and watch the rest of it someday, but I didn't want to slog dutifully through a couple of seasons before enjoying the show; I wanted a Star Trek I could LOVE.

I missed Kirk's dynamic, take-charge captain, and I missed having a Vulcan around. Hmmm. I've heard that Janeway reminds some people of Kirk. And isn't there a Vulcan named Tu-something who's also in Voyager? So I watched the first episode of Voyager, and I loved it. These characters seemed a lot more like people than the ones in the first episode of TNG! Then I watched the second episode. Wow, a female captain geeking out with a female chief engineer! Be still my heart.

So I'm a very old Trekkie but a brand-new convert to Voyager, who's watching Voyager for the very first time. So far, I love everything except Tom Paris. And I suspect Neelix may become annoying if he's overused, but we'll hope that won't happen.

So, any advice for a new Voyager watcher? Especially one who's seen only a few episodes of TNG and no DS9 at all?
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2014, 03:37 AM   #1422
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Hey Corylea that is a great story! Yes the first season of TNG is considered particularly bad, it does get better though it is still my least favorite Trek (not a common sentiment).

My advice is enjoy and don't worry if there's eps you think are dull or that it's going down some direction you don't care for.. it changes. New people come in, new stuff happens, it's a lively show! I enjoy it for the characters, and you haven't even met my favorite yet It's also the most humourous Trek!

I'm a big one for comparing Kirk to Janeway, I think they have a lot of similarities. You won't see Tuvok as much as Spock but you will respect him, and as an older stable Vulcan he's an interesting contrast to Spock's angst.

DS9 is more story arc and politics, I think you would appreciate it after watching VOY because it's a distinct change of pace (and very good).

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 30 2014, 05:15 PM   #1423
JD5000
Captain

Welcome Corylea....you definitely seem like a true Trekkie at heart, even if you have some catching up to do. Being a fan of something doesn't necessarily mean you can quote any line from any show on command, our have a bevy of random facts about the characters in your head. It's about truly valuing the entertainment provided.

It sounds like you're going to enjoy Voyager very much from beginning to end. As tea said, you will likely enjoy Deep Space Nine as well after that. It is definitely a much different show with different themes - but the overall message of Trek remains.

After all that, I believe you might want to go back and give TNG another try. Yeah the first couple seasons are a little rough around the edges (I personally enjoy them) but it gets much better. Without that show working scripts, characters and the galaxy itself to a more appealing modernization, the other series' wouldn't exist, or would likely have had the same rough start.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy!
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2014, 09:35 PM   #1424
Corylea
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the welcomes, teacock and JD5000; that's very kind of both of you!
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2014, 12:01 PM   #1425
ihno
Lieutenant Commander

Hello everybody,

I'm ihno and I'm new.
Days ago I found the thread "Why was Kes written of the show" via google and it was a lovely and entertaining read. I especially liked the little details about the production-backgrounds, the humour and the many loops it had. So I joined.

I have some questions and don't know where to post them. The FAQ didn't help much either (at least not me )

Maybe one little here: I still see only two pages of threads in many forums - there should be many more though. When can I surf them normally, finding more background-infos? When I have that magical 50 posts (don't worry, I will not spam)?

As for "my" Trek: I like TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY all the same, with my favour turning to one or the other from time to time. With ENT I didn't get warm, I always felt my intelligence was insulted when I watched it (the fourth season is a different thing). The 2009 Star Trek doesn't interest me, not in a good and not in a bad way. The rest might come with discussions.
ihno is offline   Reply With Quote