Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 10 2012, 01:32 PM   #1171
Lipton
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Welcome new Voyager fans!

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, some of the books are good, which is a very good thing. I'm just wondering how some of the really stupid ones ever got published.

"Tuvok, has anyone ever told you, you're a real freakasaurus?" - Tom Paris
Lipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 01:35 PM   #1172
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I remember one in the "A Time to" series was like some rough first draft punched out as an outline. There's no way it would have been published outside of Trekdom.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 07:06 PM   #1173
Eydie Munroe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lipton wrote: View Post
As far as I'm concerned, some of those Star Trek pocket novels are just glorified fan fiction. I've seen some stuff on the net that's more well written than certain books.

I reserve the right to ignore any ludicrous, senseless, or inaccurate work of fiction whether it be a book or a certain movie, and make it have no bearing on any fan fiction I write. I haven't yet written any for Voyager, but I eventually will.
Hah! I am so on the same page as you. I've pretty much denied how Voyager ended since about three seconds after I watched it. And there's definitely better stuff online than got published.

Welcome, by the way.

Eydie
Eydie Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 01:13 AM   #1174
Lipton
Lieutenant Commander

teacake: I never heard of that series. Hmmm... sounds like something to avoid, or were the other books in that series good?

Eydie: Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I think Voyager should have at least gotten home at the beginning of second part of Endgame and had most of the episode to actually show what happened with the characters. You never even got to see Voyager dock!

And Christie Golden's book... just didn't have the characters act true to themselves. The story didn't work that well either, I thought it was poorly paced.

"Tuvok, has anyone ever told you, you're a real freakasaurus?" - Tom Paris
Lipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 01:18 AM   #1175
teacake
Admiral

Some of the books in the series were excellent Lipton. The book by KRAD for instance. I read them all in order because Treklit forum (don't go in there, it is dangerous) told me to but it really wasn't necessary. After that I started only reading books by authors I liked. I had to abandon that eventually as all of Treklit morphed into one huge blob with every series in every book.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 11 2012, 03:15 AM   #1176
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
Some of the books in the series were excellent Lipton. The book by KRAD for instance. I read them all in order because Treklit forum (don't go in there, it is dangerous) told me to but it really wasn't necessary. After that I started only reading books by authors I liked. I had to abandon that eventually as all of Treklit morphed into one huge blob with every series in every book.
Which book by KRAD?

I agree with you about Treklit morphing into a sort of blob, everything is interconnected by these huge story arcs now and it's so hard to keep track of them all (I haven't even delved into the Typhon Pact yet...). It's kind of nice that Voyager has its own storyline now that's mostly separate from the rest of the novels, like Titan was for a while.

I wish that the novels now weren't so focused on conflicts. It feels like we went from the Dominion War to the Borg Invasion to the conflict with the Typhon Pact. Whatever happened to good old exploring (thank goodness for Voyager and Titan in this case).
Old April 11 2012, 04:36 AM   #1177
teacake
Admiral

I think it was Articles of the Federation. I've liked most KRAD books though James Swallow's Day of the Vipers, first book in the Terok Nor trilogy was the best Treklit I've read.

The morphing into a blob element is bad if you have series or characters you really aren't interested in. I ended up skim reading a lot of Destiny because of this. And yes they have now killed billions of people in the latest mega-war. I so much prefer the smaller stories, the political stories, the stories of the background of one character. Why does the frakking universe always have to be in peril?

My Treklit reading took a major punch in the gut after I read a Babylon 5 trilogy which was just about the best thing I've ever read. Ever. And it made most of Treklit look very dull and choppy and made me sad that some of the stuff published is such crap.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 11 2012, 05:27 AM   #1178
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

I have that book sitting on my shelf to read. My favourite KRAD book has to be Q&A; I loved that book. Two of my favourites that I always go back to are TNG #41 The Soldiers of Fear by Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Resistance by J.M. Dillard, both are thrilling books.

But I absolutely love the VOY novels Mosaic and Full Circle, without doubt.

The universe always seems to be in frakking peril nowadays. I don't mind the occasional conflict (because there has to be some here and there, something that I have trouble accepting being the mild pacifist that I am) but having war after war is ridiculous.

I LOVE B5, such a great series. I really ought to check out the books.

Some of the Treklit books have left me rather disappointed (like a certain TNG book that I'm sure others have a particular disdain for; I seriously cannot believe that they allowed that to be published).
Old April 11 2012, 05:31 AM   #1179
teacake
Admiral

The Bab5 books are hard to find as some are out of print. I think I paid 30 dollars for one of the paperbacks. The trilogy I loved so much was the Techno-Mage trilogy. I also read the Psi-Corp trilogy which while written a bit more minimalist was fantastic. Shows you several generations of Psi-Corp, the origins and Bester's life story. Both of these trilogies blow Treklit out of the water IMHO.

I still have the Centauri trilogy to read, I'm getting to it, I'm working my way up to picking up Peter David again.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 11 2012, 05:56 AM   #1180
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

It's unfortunate that so many of these books are harder to find now (even ones from only 4 or 5 years ago are hard to find!). I've been trying to find a few of the Voyager ones for years.

I love the Psi Corps, and Bester was a fantastic character.

I really liked Peter David's early works, like Imzadi and Q-in-Law, but Before Dishonor ruined his image a bit for me. Although he can write Q extremely well, I will say that.
Old April 23 2012, 01:34 AM   #1181
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Are exodus and HoneyBLily still around? They were big contributors to my watch thread, and now that I'm back for Qutluch's thread, I notice they don't seem to be around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 07:14 AM   #1182
teacake
Admiral

Exodus is around but I think Honey is a Potterhead now

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 23 2012, 05:20 PM   #1183
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Didn't know the fandoms were mutually exclusive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 05:59 AM   #1184
teacake
Admiral

They're not, but you know fandom takes up a lot of time..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 27 2012, 09:15 AM   #1185
RCole
Ensign

Seems to have diverged from the welcome thread but no matter (I enjoy thread creep and can be a practitioner!)

It's nice there's a forum for people who actually like Voyager. I saw it referred to in another thread in sentence saying "for those who can stomach that other show." I don't understand the negative opinions it seems to generate. It is, overall, pretty darned good.

Ok, DS9 is far and away my favorite Trek series but I like them all including Voyager.

Anyway, new here, long time Trek fan going back to the early 70s when I'd watch TOS on re-runs after school. Just attended my first Trek convention along with my wife, who's also a big Trek fan.
RCole is offline   Reply With Quote