Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 15 2005, 10:12 PM   #91
Conundrum
Commodore

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Dea

Posted by N-121973:
Well folks, it may already be posted elsewhere on these boards but here's the IGN article, well sort of.
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/60...html?fromint=1

LOL...I don't believe that "computer problem" line one bit. The way IGNs backend software works you can post an article on it from anywhere...Yes, I've worked with them.

I suspect the author got his his pee-pee virtually slapped for the other article and wants to "wait and see"
Old April 15 2005, 10:13 PM   #92
wolf359
Captain

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Doctor Who isn't produced and held in a death grip by Paramount. Big difference. It's an entirely different animal than Trek, which has such an established history. Isn't Christopher Eccleston quitting?

Hell, after ten years I'll have long since made a clean break from Trek.
true, its held in a death grip by the Beeb instead.
yep, he's quitting. decided he didn't want to be typecast as it could hit his film career. the replacement being hyped up is the actor currently playing casanova (produced by the same team as who). as an aside most of the new series of dr who was filmed in Cardiff (my geographical backyard) and its weird seeing places i know extremely well being presented as being so alien (pardon the pun)
Old April 15 2005, 10:13 PM   #93
CeeWulf
Commander

Posted by Bobatiel:
I'm guessing it's usual business practice not announce anything until it's a done deal.

Reporting on every pitch and proposal makes no sense, and I could see how it would hurt the process itself. Maybe that's why TU wouldn't say anything until something more concrete came out of this. It makes perfect sense.
What's more concrete? They haven't offered anything concrete, that's been the problem all along.
Old April 15 2005, 10:14 PM   #94
Conundrum
Commodore

Posted by CeeWulf:
Posted by Mogh:
Ahh, the sound of truth ringing clear...

What truth, exactly? Nothing is actually confirmed here, just more claims. I mean, ok, it's an interesting article. But again we're given nothing but vagueness. Who is the Canadian group? What entertainment companies are in it? Who's the producer? Why not specify who they are?

So, the big solution was to produce another bit of news that simply adds to the massive pile of vague claims. This one's a little more specific, and that's an improvement. But again it's just a variation on "secret meetings". You guys really need to work on your communication, because quite frankly, you're group is just plain terrible at it. And this new story, which is interesting to read, really doesn't prove anything and only adds more questions.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts as I read it too.

"Wag the dog?"
Old April 15 2005, 10:15 PM   #95
James Durdan
Lieutenant

Lets not forget that the beeb is a goverment owned broadcaster. Sorry, they have indeed had the Dr in a death grip for 26 years.

So, I hate to say it, but that just makes the original point all the more valid.
Old April 15 2005, 10:16 PM   #96
Ninjawitch
Captain

OK, just had a thought.

Say Paramount bites at this proposal (small chance) and everything is shipped up to Vancouver for production to start again and at some point their ready to start filming a season 5. You pretty much just guarenteed that Season 5 will be without Scott Bakula. He's gone on record several times that part of the reason he took Enterprise was that it ment that he would be able to still be with his family in LA. What then? Recast the part of Archer? Phase his charactor out?

Creates a whole new set of problems to have to iron out.
Series states that Archer founded the United Federation of Planets, who is to say he stayed on to captain the NX-01 or fought in the Romulan War?

Archer i.e. Bakula can still come back in cameos while another captain takes over the NX-01.
Old April 15 2005, 10:17 PM   #97
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

yep, he's quitting. decided he didn't want to be typecast as it could hit his film career
Ahhhhhh. I thought I'd heard Eccleston was bolting. So I'm not completely nuts. Wasn't he in Shallow Grave with Kerry Fox and Ewan McGregor? Great little indie.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 15 2005, 10:18 PM   #98
JohnM
Admiral

Posted by Jonesy:
So, TU was never really in "talks" with Paramount at all - it was this other organization that a week ago finally made a presentation to Paramount?

But, the timing of this is awfully suspect. The presentation was last week. Paramount's publishing of the "letter" was two or three days ago.

The publishing of the letter at startrek.com had to go through a number of different people and I'm sure Paramount legal. If Paramount was still taking things into consideration, noone at Paramount would have allowed that letter to be published on the website. Not only is that disrespectful to the people who have made the presentation (given that Paramount actually spent any time really considering their presentation at all) but it's also a bad, bad thing to do with the PR with fans.

This is of course taking into account that the presentation was really made a week ago (last Thursday or Friday).

Exactly.

I would love to know why TU said they were in secret talks with Paramount when that's not the case.

Old April 15 2005, 10:20 PM   #99
wolf359
Captain

totally agree with you mate, thats why i said the beeb had it in a death grip instead

they had countless offers to take it off their hands (so to speak) but were determined to keep it in house. i suspect the paramount feel the same about trek. these canadian companies could basically say we'll pay for everything.... and paramount would still say no thanks.
Old April 15 2005, 10:20 PM   #100
The Realist
Vice Admiral

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Trek won't stay vital and fresh if the last memory of its opening chapater is as huge a turkey as TATV promises to be.
Your capacity to overstate the importance of this single episode is ever more impressive, Dorian. Trek's future doesn't depend on a few hardcore Enterprise fans hoarding their resentments like little Gollums. Those fans simply can't sustain the show financially anymore, as the cancellation amply demonstrates. Trek's future depends on the larger viewing public, who already abandoned Enterprise a long time ago. They're not going to be watching "TATV" anyway, or if they do, it'll only be because of the presence of characters from an incarnation of Trek they remember much more fondly.

The best thing for any possible future of Trek is to do just what Paramount's doing: put this unpopular series out of its misery, and give the public a chance to forget about the last few bad years. Then hit it with something entirely new, something genuinely vital and fresh that will trade on the deep-rooted cultural affection for the franchise while dispelling the memory of its recent failures. And Paramount needs to remember that bigger picture while assessing any proposal from TU to perpetuate the damage done by Enterprise.
Old April 15 2005, 10:22 PM   #101
wolf359
Captain

Posted by Dorian Thompson:Ahhhhhh. I thought I'd heard Eccleston was bolting. So I'm not completely nuts. Wasn't he in Shallow Grave with Kerry Fox and Ewan McGregor? Great little indie.
yep, same guy. he was also in 28 days later (another under-rated film. but IMHO his best performance was in "cracker"
Old April 15 2005, 10:23 PM   #102
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Wow.

Let's hope something good comes from this.
Old April 15 2005, 10:23 PM   #103
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

I can see that this development has changed nothing in the eyes and the minds of the sceptics and ENT haters. Big surprise there!!

I think this is great news and I am glad that I stuch with the TU folks in whom I totally believe.

I hope this actually happens.
Old April 15 2005, 10:24 PM   #104
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Your continued capacity to be a flippant condescending jerk doesn't surprise me a bit, Realist. I see we're both consistent in our behavior. I'll use my 48 hour ban to do some spring cleaning.

EDIT:
yep, same guy. he was also in 28 days later (another under-rated film.
I thought Cillian Murphy played the lead in 28 Days Later.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 15 2005, 10:27 PM   #105
Conundrum
Commodore

Posted by Number6:
I can see that this development has changed nothing in the eyes and the minds of the sceptics and ENT haters. Big surprise there!!

I think this is great news and I am glad that I stuch with the TU folks in whom I totally believe.

I hope this actually happens.
You can call people haters until you're blue in the face...won't make it true.

btw....too much kool-aid is unhealthy.