Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 15 2005, 09:58 PM   #76

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Dea

Posted by The Realist:
Posted by CeeWulf:
Who is the Canadian group? What entertainment companies are in it? Who's the producer? Why not specify who they are?
These seem like reasonable questions.
Why would the production companies involved not want their identities, or those of the major motion pictures they've produced, to be revealed? I am not implying anything here, I'd really honestly like to know what would be at risk for them to be identified in this situation.

Old April 15 2005, 09:58 PM   #77
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

If nothing else, hopefully this will let them know that Trek can be financially viable again some day, if they can't get Bakula and company to Canada, maybe the next series can be filmed there
Who--in terms of fans--is going to want to come back for more Trek in a few years if ENT is allowed to end like this? Kids today forget. I don't care about another Trek series. I just want ENT to end well, not with the sour taste of the TNG valentine in our mouths. I'm with Alex, for the long term health of the franchise, a Peacekeeper Wars style mini series (at least) would not be a bad idea. In fact, it might be prudent.

I just can't see Trek resurrecting itself yet again in ten years. Not with today's audiences. Suppose we get another series in five years--in 2010. That means that its prized demographic (18 to 24 year old males) will have been born from 1986-1992. What they'll remember is the sour taste of Voyager and ENT's inauspicious beginning and end. They're going to flock to Trek? No.

A decent ending for ENT might just be the best thing for Trek. But Paramount will probably say "no."

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 15 2005, 09:59 PM   #78
Bobatiel
Commodore

The whole idea is to be able to present a case to Paramount that ENT/Star Trek can still make them money.

If there are producers and companies that think they can make money and can convince Paramount of that, then it's possible.

What's impressivve about this news is that it's not a bunch of organized, amateur fans knocking on Paramounts door, but rather professional production companies.

For all their foibles, congratulations are in order. Well done TU!

While I still agree that it's not likely, I also never would have thought that TU could have accomplished so much in so ittle time. I'm impressed.

This whole good guy/ bad guy thing doesn't make any sense to me. It's business and lobbying, that's all.

Good luck to everyone involved!
Old April 15 2005, 10:01 PM   #79
N-121973
Commander

Well folks, it may already be posted elsewhere on these boards but here's the IGN article, well sort of.
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/60...html?fromint=1
Old April 15 2005, 10:03 PM   #80
James Durdan
Lieutenant

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
If nothing else, hopefully this will let them know that Trek can be financially viable again some day, if they can't get Bakula and company to Canada, maybe the next series can be filmed there
Who--in terms of fans--is going to want to come back for more Trek in a few years if ENT is allowed to end like this? Kids today forget. I don't care about another Trek series. I just want ENT to end well, not with the sour taste of the TNG valentine in our mouths. I'm with Alex, for the long term health of the franchise, a Peacekeeper Wars style mini series (at least) would not be a bad idea. In fact, it might be prudent.

I just can't see Trek resurrecting itself yet again in ten years. Not with today's audiences. Suppose we get another series in five years--in 2010. That means that its prized demographic (18 to 24 year old males) will have been born from 1986-1992. What they'll remember is the sour taste of Voyager and ENT's inauspicious beginning and end. They're going to flock to Trek? No.

A decent ending for ENT might just be the best thing for Trek. But Paramount will probably say "no."
You haven't been keeping up with the Doctor Who news I take?

Basically kicked off of the BBC in the late 80's, horrible ratings......franchise fatigue, younger vieweres tuning out.

Well The Doctor is back, after a 12 year hiatus. The Ratings have been spectacular, old and new fans are back. No one forgot the Doctor, no one walked away. The lack of new product made the demand even greater.

Do I want Enterprise to be cancelled? No. But I have to tell you after watching what has been going on with Doctor Who, after seeing the creative revitalization of that Franchise, it makes you wonder........
Old April 15 2005, 10:04 PM   #81
Bobatiel
Commodore

Posted by What_Is_Brain?:
[Why would the production companies involved not want their identities, or those of the major motion pictures they've produced, to be revealed? I am not implying anything here, I'd really honestly like to know what would be at risk for them to be identified in this situation.
I'm guessing it's usual business practice not announce anything until it's a done deal.

Reporting on every pitch and proposal makes no sense, and I could see how it would hurt the process itself. Maybe that's why TU wouldn't say anything until something more concrete came out of this. It makes perfect sense.
Old April 15 2005, 10:06 PM   #82
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Doctor Who isn't produced and held in a death grip by Paramount. Big difference. It's an entirely different animal than Trek, which has such an established history. Isn't Christopher Eccleston quitting?

Hell, after ten years I'll have long since made a clean break from Trek.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 15 2005, 10:06 PM   #83
Q2UnME
Commodore

Posted by N-121973:
Well folks, it may already be posted elsewhere on these boards but here's the IGN article, well sort of.
.."drive by and see a computer by the curb with a large pick-axe sticking out of it, that would be mine"...

Funny quib, know how he feels..

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Old April 15 2005, 10:06 PM   #84
Jonesy
Commodore

So, TU was never really in "talks" with Paramount at all - it was this other organization that a week ago finally made a presentation to Paramount?

But, the timing of this is awfully suspect. The presentation was last week. Paramount's publishing of the "letter" was two or three days ago.

The publishing of the letter at startrek.com had to go through a number of different people and I'm sure Paramount legal. If Paramount was still taking things into consideration, noone at Paramount would have allowed that letter to be published on the website. Not only is that disrespectful to the people who have made the presentation (given that Paramount actually spent any time really considering their presentation at all) but it's also a bad, bad thing to do with the PR with fans.

This is of course taking into account that the presentation was really made a week ago (last Thursday or Friday).
Old April 15 2005, 10:08 PM   #85
dllmzca
Fleet Captain

Posted by Dorian Thompson:
Who--in terms of fans--is going to want to come back for more Trek in a few years if ENT is allowed to end like this?
Dorian, I'm hope you know that I don't meant to sound snide (remember who was trying to cheer you up and in that thread, yesterday) when I say: fans who didn't like ENT, and who want it laid to rest so that Paramount can take a stab at another series.

Frankly, I don't see how they can. - Bashir
Old April 15 2005, 10:09 PM   #86
CeeWulf
Commander

Ug, that was the big IGN article? That's sad. I realize it was accidental, but sad.
Old April 15 2005, 10:09 PM   #87
James Durdan
Lieutenant

Posted by N-121973:
Oh, that makes me feel better:

"Appears to be in unfounded" Thats a nice strong statement.

I don't seem to recall anyone beating the drum over the "Skimming of funds". And why, if their computer died while writing the article, did they still manage the puff piece that we got. Not one had a spare computer to run Word on? I'm sorry, sounds like a stall.

Hopefully by the time IGN manages to boot up the ole Commodore 64 this will be all over, one way or another.
Old April 15 2005, 10:10 PM   #88
Lior .B.
Fleet Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Lior .B. Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lior .B.

Whatever Enterprise would be back or not, I'm impressed with what TU's FAN campaign managed to do with such a short time they had.
Old April 15 2005, 10:10 PM   #89
Ninjawitch
Captain

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Deal To Paramount

Mogh handled himself honorably and tactfully with Tommy Boyd and he pulled another rabbit out of the hat here.

With Mogh as part of the Trek United team I can see WHY Trek United HAD to maintain secrecy because the entity of Paramount might just be trying negative spin doctoring and bad PR to bring down the only threat to it and Enterprise from tenacious fans and a determined Trek United organization.

They, Paramount HAD hoped that giving TU a bloody nose they would limp off plus tarnishing TU reputation in the eyes of the fans and the media would be an added bonus.

Not that I bashed TU on here but more questioned it's actions and silence like an adjudicator, I can also now see the plausible knowledge that Paramount itself might not be beyond being blameless here too in that suspicion.

I am NOT surprised at this offer of bringing in Canadian companies to shoulder the financial and producing contraints, I suspected this was an undercurrent in TU's plans but nothing concrete just detective like clues to go on, but it is a very wise and .... logical step in supporting a resurrection of the license.

The problem here is there is now a large hole on Paramount's side that has been blasted open and exposed them.

A hole which exposes a mental-political problem from a corporatte addiction and neurosis.

Paramount feels Star Trek is THEIR baby and no one may not handle it and they have Berman the passed down holder of the sacred Trek flame by Roddenberry in their crown!

As far as returning Enterprise to the airwaves is concerned to Paramount, the only thing they are missing the point on is they still would retain that ownership and francise but Enterprise it is tendered to another producer and TU to additionally co-fund a fifth season or maybe beyond if rating improve under the love and watch of Manny Coto.

I can see no difference negotiating the right to finish filming this series and place it in first run syndication (where Neo-Trek traditionally has done well) or the granting of license to game companies to make subset continuation from the characters of Star Trek: Voyager and DS9 like in 'Elite Force' or 'The Fallen'

Paramount would still get a share in the profits, they retain the license, they get a boost in popularity and look good in the eyes of the media and the fans, and there are more episodes added to the box sets, but mainly conflict between Paramount and the fans subsides .... it's a win-win endgame for them and the fans!

But would the fans and Paramount put aside this tension enough to make this plan work??? They would be utter fools NOT to go with this idea in my humble opinion.

With the problems of moving sets and actors working a distance from hoem placed aside for the moment here, this allows those actors continued work and adds their contributions to the legends which is Star Trek along with Manny Coto.

But also this creates another opinion to be used by Paramount in the future in cases like this to continue 'milking' the series to a full run to boost DVD box sets and expand them with their other series brethren.

This would open up new ventures and avenues to be utilized in the future as well as co-operation in the case of marginally stable future Star Trek series that may suffer in the ratings that they can self correct and refine by tendering that particular part of the license or that series out to the highest bidder or those interested in working in tandem with Paramount to ensure the series continues.

Paramount would follow through with what is known in the business world as diversification of their francise or branching off options to ensure furutre profits!

Mogh you've done a great service in disclosing this, but really it should have been heralded by Tim as well. What you, Tim and Trek United needs for a coup de gras now is another large donation, larger than 3 million but more in the realm of 5-6 million in addition to blow Paramount off their seated arses.

If this happens then you will have made your enterance and performed it admirably well in front of Paramount. If they still refuse to strongly consider all options presented then it would be financial, public relations and ultimately intrapolitical suicide against them in regards to the Star Trek francise for years to come and to their massive DVD libraries and merchandise.

It would incite fan boycotts and who knows what for years to come, and if fans stick together it could serious hamper if not lay seige to Paramount and cause them to hurt.

Paramount would have NO choice BUT to take the fans and efforts seriously or risk a fatal shot to their own head in the here and now if efforts to sooth fan conflageration were not taken.

In cause and effect you will have then dwarfed the efforts of the original fan based protests from the original TOS series outcry. This would also be a slap in the face to Paramount to explain and present publically WHY all reasonable options presented are automatically dethroned and refused as not viable.

The ball would not only be in their court but they would have to explain their reasoning on their future moves as well.

Just my $0.02 worth
Old April 15 2005, 10:11 PM   #90
Tom
Rear Admiral

Posted by FSULawJM:
Posted by FleetLord:
I would also like to add that there was other muli-million dollar production/company outside of north america who are interested in doing the same thing. Basicaly that is all i can say about that now, that this news is out (exhales deeply ).
You're doing it again.

-jm
I'm sorry, my point was, that companys are willing to fund the show, that is why I said this in the other thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Arlo:

Advertisers aren't exactly going to line up to back a show with the ratings of Enterprise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, no that is definetly not true.

What this issue does is negate the 'Enterpise was cancelled because of money' arguement. Clearly if there are companies that want to throw around these high amounts of money then that tells you something. Anyway I can see two other reasons that Enterprise can not go on:

- Inside politics that the public at large are not privy too.

- The 'Long Term Viability' issue, I just don't see what it would hurt to keep Enterprise going for another year or two, frankly if it does not get a season 7 that will be fine with me. Then Trek can rest. The only down side is the people who are waiting for a mircle 6th series will have to wait a little longer (or will they ) Other than that the fanbase would (hopefully) we a little bit more complacent.