Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 18 2005, 11:17 PM   #616

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Dea

Oh my gosh, could it be?

We're about to get official verification here, folks...

Yes...yes!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Internet's 4,314,786th debate over the definition of "fair use" in copyright law!!! ::EAFENING APPLAUSE:::

(c)2005 by Al Vinci's World of Motorcycling Dolphins, all rights reserved

Old April 18 2005, 11:59 PM   #617
CeeWulf
Commander

Old April 19 2005, 12:25 AM   #618
Reaperman
Rear Admiral

My God, I go to work for and come back to find this has turned from a debate about TU into a journalists pissing match. Can we keep this on track and not turn it into a debate about journalistic integrity?

Edit for typos
Old April 19 2005, 12:30 AM   #619
Quonous
Commodore

Posted by What_Is_Brain?:
Oh my gosh, could it be?

We're about to get official verification here, folks...

Yes...yes!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Internet's 4,314,786th debate over the definition of "fair use" in copyright law!!! ::EAFENING APPLAUSE:::

(c)2005 by Al Vinci's World of Motorcycling Dolphins, all rights reserved
What the hell is this? I'm sure it's in the rules somewhere that you're not allowed to be funny until you reach Lt. Commander.

(Nice work )
Old April 19 2005, 12:33 AM   #620
Reaperman
Rear Admiral

Posted by FluffyUnbound:

I do have to say, you guys might be morons, but you're FAST morons,
One warning for flaming. Comments to MA
Old April 19 2005, 12:36 AM   #621
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

Posted by Reaperman:
Posted by FluffyUnbound:

I do have to say, you guys might be morons, but you're FAST morons,
One warning for flaming. Comments to MA
Well, THEY may be fast, but you certainly aren't.

Hey, I think I may have also flamed in a posting I made on March 11th. Go check it out.

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
Old April 19 2005, 12:46 AM   #622
Reaperman
Rear Admiral

Tortoise and the hare . That, and I have a real life which precludes me from spending every waking hour monitoring the board. Annoying, but true.
Old April 19 2005, 01:23 AM   #623
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Posted by Michael Hinman:
If you're going to flame, at least spell "integrity" correctly.
And on the day "petty" was reinvented, we all stood at TrekBBS and watched in awe.
Old April 19 2005, 02:22 PM   #624
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Posted by unimatrix7:
Posted by Noname Given:
Posted by unimatrix7:
Oh, pardon me.

I must've misread this:

And for me as a fan whose been around watching first run since 1969 - the cancellation of Enterprise really does mean for me that the Star Trek I like and enjoy is dead and gone.
Yep, you did. I figured the 'for me' in there would indicate to you and others that was simply my personal opinion. Much like you claim your post I first replied to was your personal opinion. then.
I don't think I implied I thought it was anything BUT your opinion...

...But I'm not going to get into one of THESE arguments again.
Maybe if you were more attentive to what is actually being said, instead of flying off the handle with insults and "incinuations" from drawing the wrong conclusions, perhaps you'd find yourself in fewer arguments with people.

Everyone would be a lot happier if you were to do that.
Old April 19 2005, 04:06 PM   #625

Posted by Michael Hinman:
Posted by vinea:
Eh, say what? Are you claiming that questioning a website's legitimacy as a news source is somehow libel?
Yes. If someone is spreading around published sources telling people that something is what it is, and that information is delivered with malicious intent to cause damage to that something, and what they are saying is not true ... you bet it can be.

I didn't say it was libel, by the way. I said it was heading in that direction. Because now the talk is just getting crazy.

No the talk was heading toward you trying to browbeat someone into not expressing an opinion about your professionalism by using the term libel.

I seem to recall some similar legal word play between you and some BSG site.

Hokay...does SyFy have press credentials from anyone?
And you are basing this requirement on what? SyFy Portal has been accepted at many different events, been granted interviews, and the like on a regular basis. And yes, I can guarantee you that if I made a request for credentials from anything we wished to cover, the request would be seriously considered, if not granted outright.

The answer then is no?

The "requirement" is simply a question. If SyFy Portal had at any other time been granted press credentials it provides some evidence that a (hopefully objective) 3rd party considers it a legitmate "news organization".

There are a lot of publications, even before Web sites, that some might "question" as news sources the way you are. Is the weekly newspaper in the town I grew up with, which has about the same number of readers each week that I have in an hour on my Web site, considered less journalistic?

Its not the number of readers that determines journalistic credibility. To answer your question your weekly newspaper has MORE journalistic credibility to me (and probably to most of your peers) than your site.

I mean, please. The writer for the next Star Trek movie chose to speak with us first (and only, so far). Sure, you may not want to think we're one right now, but I bet if we were reporting what you wanted to see -- whether it was the truth or not -- you would have a different tune.

No, I don't care what you are reporting since I don't read your site. We aren't discussing what you report but your behavior here and on the other boards.

How about the DNC? They seem to give them out to nearly anyone...
I am not sure if you noticed, but my site does not cover goverment or politics.

Then anyone else...I picked an organization that appears to accept even bloggers (left leaning ones anyway).

And anyone doing a simple search on the Internet, for terms like SyFy or "SyFy Portal" will find just that. We didn't just pop up last week. We have been around for seven years, have had stories picked up everywhere -- including print publications -- and in many different languages.

Longevity is also not what defines journalistic credibility...though, like circulation, it helps.

The same is true with TrekToday, TrekWeb, etc. TrekToday, TrekWeb, and its kind is no less or no more credible than we are. So, if you wish to disparage us, then you also are going to disparage the people who work hard to maintain this site, and other sites.

Why is being considered a high quality fan site/blog a "disparagement"? Just because its not considered a "news organization"?

I don't frequent TrekToday or TrekWeb but I don't get the impression that they present themselves as "news organizations" or "journalists".

Vinea

Old April 19 2005, 04:58 PM   #626
Ptrope
Agitator

So ...

What's the latest word on TrekUnited (remember them?)? Have they begun distributing refunds? Have they reorganized and begun to consider a new goal, perhaps one more in concert with their name? We've been waiting for some news, but it seems that with Tim's announcement, folks have lost interest in the activities of TU; I'm just curious whether they're considering alternate outlets for their enthusiasm, perhaps even some that could interest the non-ENT fans.
Old April 19 2005, 07:18 PM   #627
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Posted by Ptrope:
So ...

What's the latest word on TrekUnited (remember them?)? Have they begun distributing refunds? Have they reorganized and begun to consider a new goal, perhaps one more in concert with their name? We've been waiting for some news, but it seems that with Tim's announcement, folks have lost interest in the activities of TU; I'm just curious whether they're considering alternate outlets for their enthusiasm, perhaps even some that could interest the non-ENT fans.
I'm thinking we're all experiencing a bit of burnout after the drama of the last month or so.