Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 15 2005, 09:33 PM   #46
IvosevicJ
Rear Admiral

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Dea

Posted by gh4chiefs:
I don't know what the answer would be. Then there's the contract the actors are under. Is that solid enough to hold them if they don't want to go Canada? Does it negate the contract if they move production?

A lot of issues indeed. Still I guess I see this as positive news and hopefully something can be worked out.

Again, I IMPLORE a LOT of people here to relax and let this thing play out. Maybe, just maybe, something good will come of it.
Maybe some actors have a clause to get them out of it if Ent is not being shot in So. Cal. Scott Bakula would be the msot likely, if it exists. As for the plea for civility, you know the joy some people have to take TU down. That is never gonna go away and you have to keep ignoring it and just grow the tough skin. It's sad, but it's human nature
Old April 15 2005, 09:33 PM   #47
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Deal To Paramount

Interesting development. I guess we wait and see what Paramount's response is (at this point I think it's fair to say THE LETTER is nullified).
Old April 15 2005, 09:33 PM   #48
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Keep your hopes tempered, folks. Keep them in check. Paramount could very well say "no."

They'd look like dicks if they did, but they can definitely say "no." TimB could have saved himself a lot of heartache if he'd been more forthcoming about things and had better PR. However, with this announcement he has earned the right to flip a great big pretty birdie at some folks who practically called him a criminal.

I agree that Paramount is probably still looking for the next big gimmick to propel Trek back to mainstream popularity and that the studio still doesn't get it. It takes good stories. If there is a next series at all (of which I'm extremely doubtful) it will probably be Star Trek: the reality series or Starfleet Academy of the Saline injected. Oy.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 15 2005, 09:34 PM   #49
Tom
Rear Admiral

Posted by Q2UnME:
OK, just had a thought.

Say Paramount bites at this proposal (small chance) and everything is shipped up to Vancouver for production to start again and at some point their ready to start filming a season 5. You pretty much just guarenteed that Season 5 will be without Scott Bakula. He's gone on record several times that part of the reason he took Enterprise was that it ment that he would be able to still be with his family in LA. What then? Recast the part of Archer? Phase his charactor out?

Creates a whole new set of problems to have to iron out.

Q2
Well, to be truthfull this was also the first thing I thought about, but concider that even thought it is much cheaper to shoot in vancouver (a popular place to shoot these days, do to inexpense etc..) it is also much cheaper to shoot anywhere out side of paramount (i.e somewhere nearby in CA) thus paramount can fully utilize the formorly occupied stage 8, 9 and 18 for another show/movie and maximize there profits. I would say one step at a time here though, but it is good point. I would also like to add that there was other muli-million dollar production/company outside of north america who are interested in doing the same thing. Basicaly that is all i can say about that now, that this news is out (exhales deeply ).
Old April 15 2005, 09:34 PM   #50
James Durdan
Lieutenant

Posted by Mogh:
Posted by James Durdan:
We are seeing an interesting tactic here.

By making this announcement, TU manages now to deflect attention from them, and back to Paramount, and in one fell swoop reinforce Paramount as the bad guy.

Masterful! Nothing has really changed, because Paramount will never let this happen, releasing partial control of the franchise to a third party, but masterful. Kudos to TU for deflecting attention off of them for a few days!
No they're a business. And yes, they've said no. And they've said no again. And they've said no the media. And they've said no on StarTrek.com.

We're BECAUSE they've said no. And we'll stay here until they say yes.

Nobody is calling Paramount bad guys. We're just making it clear whose court the ball is in and how truthful we have been.
Mogh, I respect you no end, but I think your going to have a very long wait for Paramount to say yes. But again, good tactical use here today. Seems someone at TU has learned from the complete mess thats been made of this till now.

No matter what however, you realize that the same old questions are going to start again. Because we are right back to square one. TU's word against Paramounts. Un-named people, no way of checking things.....

Where is the IGN article that was going to help reduce these fears? Until those fears are arrested a lot of people are going to have concerns.

I can say that I talked to someone at Skywalker Ranch last night about Star War's Episodes 7-9, and my film company getting the right to produce them, but the talks are at a delicate stage and thats all I can say. Unless I now take care of the disbelievers by offering some sort of proof, it isn't going to get better by me telling you that I have Sound Stages in New Hampshire ready to go, and I do a great Yoda voice

Do you see my point at all?
Old April 15 2005, 09:34 PM   #51
JohnM
Admiral

I was led to believe TU was in contact with Paramount and they were having secret talks.

Now I guess TU talked to a Canadian group and they proposed this idea to Paramount??

Pitching a deal to Paramount is much different than having ongoing secret talks with Paramount.

I hope this deal goes through but TU really spun this around big time.
Old April 15 2005, 09:35 PM   #52
Lilith
Fleet Captain

Posted by Mogh:
^^ I entirely agree. Our PR structure is being revised at this very point

(to D. Destiny)
Goodluck then

I honestly have nothing against TU or what it's trying to accomplish, it's just the way that it's spinning around that worries/d me. I'm glad that that's being looked into, because it could help a lot.

This topic is moving to fast for me *lol* each time I finish a reply there's a handful of posts new, it's dizzying!
Old April 15 2005, 09:36 PM   #53
IvosevicJ
Rear Admiral

Posted by What_Is_Brain?:
In the event that Paramount passes on the ENT extension, has TU ever discussed the possibility of using the partnership with the Canadian companies to form some kind of production company that could, in association with Paramount, produce low-budget, non-ENT Trek-related features -- direct-to-DVD/TV movies or limited series? It seems like there would be a great potential here to create non-series Trek projects that fans have always demanded, like a Captain Sulu TV movie/miniseries, or other stories taking place in the Trek universe, that Paramount would never greenlight but which an independent, fan-owned company might be able to push through, with independent funding. If they could get some "names" attached, like Manny Coto or Shatner, that could bring in more funding as well.

It just seems like something that would be great for the fans, and good for Paramount in that they would still have final approval over the product, they wouldn't bear the financial burden/risk of mounting a full-scale TV series or theatrical film, and there would still be Trek product out there in some form during the hiatus until the next major series/film.

I know nothing about TV production, so I'm pretty much speaking out of my crack pipe here, but I figured I'd throw that question out there.
I am not the most well informed about this either, but my understanding is that Paramount hangs on to its Trek rights like a drug addict stashing his last fix. The only way Paramount might entertain it is if the involvement of the compaies is limited in time and scope, like this one.

What you are proposing is quite interesting to me, but it sounds very open ended and mostly beyond the control of Paramount.
Old April 15 2005, 09:38 PM   #54
FSULawJM
Commander

Posted by FleetLord:
I would also like to add that there was other muli-million dollar production/company outside of north america who are interested in doing the same thing. Basicaly that is all i can say about that now, that this news is out (exhales deeply ).
You're doing it again.

-jm
Old April 15 2005, 09:39 PM   #55
23skidoo
Admiral

My problem with the idea of doing a Canadian-made season of ENT is spelled out by the Trek Today reporter. Odds are few if any of the cast of the current series would want to move up to Vancouver. It's almost 100% certain John Billingsley won't, and Bakula talks about being unable to attend conventions because of his kids.

While I think ENT could survive if a couple of the supporting cast were missing or even recast, the show just won't be the same without Bakula, Blalock, Billingsley, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, but my betting money is still on a movie or mini-series rather than a full year and my last word on the subject (as I've stayed mum about the whole TU controversy) is at this point that's where efforts should be concentrated. I'd rather see a kick-ass "Peacekeeper Wars"-style miniseries that gives the cast a proper send off than nothing.

Cheers!

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
Old April 15 2005, 09:39 PM   #56
CeeWulf
Commander

Posted by Mogh:
Ahh, the sound of truth ringing clear...

What truth, exactly? Nothing is actually confirmed here, just more claims. I mean, ok, it's an interesting article. But again we're given nothing but vagueness. Who is the Canadian group? What entertainment companies are in it? Who's the producer? Why not specify who they are?

So, the big solution was to produce another bit of news that simply adds to the massive pile of vague claims. This one's a little more specific, and that's an improvement. But again it's just a variation on "secret meetings". You guys really need to work on your communication, because quite frankly, you're group is just plain terrible at it. And this new story, which is interesting to read, really doesn't prove anything and only adds more questions.
Old April 15 2005, 09:41 PM   #57
raffie
Commander

Posted by Arlo:
(at this point I think it's fair to say THE LETTER is nullified).
As Mogh said, the making THE LETTER public only a few days ago, was a way (among others) to give their answer.

My opinion on this is that it was a nice effort (although misplaced IMO), but it was doomed from the start since this is not just a little show called ENT we're dealing with here. It's Star Trek. And to keep Star Trek vital and refreshing, to not milk it out so far that nobody would want to ever touch it again, they made the decision that Trek needs a break. They're not going to come back from that.
Old April 15 2005, 09:42 PM   #58
Ptrope
Agitator

Posted by Mogh:
^ What, humble pie from all the people who called us liars?
And this is exactly how TU got into the pickle it's been in in the first place ...

Why is it so difficult to admit defeat with grace, and even more difficult to proclaim success equally gracefully? The truth of the matter is that TU has engaged in highly questionable public relations, not to mention the potentially fraudulent actions of soliciting donations for a non-existent cause (declared so by no less than its intended recipients, when Paramount first sent the letter which was revealed finally this week). TU's problems are not the result of a vendetta against either its goals or its membership, but because of the very poor choices it has made in either concealing pertinent information or in making unsubstantiated and unprovable claims (unprovable in the sense that the people with whom TU claims to be in serious discussions have categorically denied these claims).

If the new announcement is not only in earnest but is in fact an ongoing process in which Paramount itself is participating, then TU and the people involved deserve congratulations. The timing, however, is very poor indeed, coming as it does not 3 days after one of the major parties has declared their interest in this subject closed. If it is a matter of, "We tried this, and it failed weeks ago, but we felt it unnecessary or morale-breaking to disclose it," as with the letter, then TU stands to only further complicate this situation, and to further risk not only their reputation, but also punitive measures from a company with far more resources than TU could ever muster, and a vested interest in protecting the value of their property and their name.

At this point, I think no one should pretend that new good news outweighs the existing bad, nor should anyone be suggesting that their critics eat crow, humble pie or their hats, simply because a new facet of this overly-complicated construction has been revealed. It's only sensible.

Mogh, and anyone else involved with TU and its efforts and goals, please keep things in perspective. This is not a personal crusade against you; it's an effort to sus out the truth without being dizzied by the constant spin that has been produced.
Old April 15 2005, 09:42 PM   #59
James Durdan
Lieutenant

Posted by Arlo:
Interesting development. I guess we wait and see what Paramount's response is (at this point I think it's fair to say THE LETTER is nullified).
How can the letter be nullified? According to TU Paramount knew about this last week and they STILL released the letter.

The Letter is nullified when Paramount says that Enterprise isn't cancelled. Last time we all checked that hadn't happened.
Old April 15 2005, 09:43 PM   #60
CeeWulf
Commander

Posted by Arlo:
I wouldn't say that at all. The "letter" is still the official word from Paramount, no matter what spin is put on it. Only Paramount itself can nullify it.