IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 15 2005, 09:20 PM   #31
admiral_rooster
Ensign

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Dea

Posted by James Durdan:
We are seeing an interesting tactic here.

By making this announcement, TU manages now to deflect attention from them, and back to Paramount, and in one fell swoop reinforce Paramount as the bad guy.

Masterful! Nothing has really changed, because Paramount will never let this happen, releasing partial control of the franchise to a third party, but masterful. Kudos to TU for deflecting attention off of them for a few days!

Not sure if I would word it like that. Paramount is not the bad guy.

Proud Member of the TU10 since 2005
Old April 15 2005, 09:21 PM   #32
Reaperman
Rear Admiral

*gets an ulcer*

Friendly reminder time (again). Discuss the issues, and not each other. No personal attacks, accusations of fraud etc.

You all know the drill by now.
Old April 15 2005, 09:21 PM   #33
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Yeah I know, I read that part. I speculated as much in another thread today.

I'm just saying, if you've got a product you can sell today, and if the economics work, it seems to be risky to forgo that for some future "maybe." Bird in the hand and that sort of thing.

Again that's predicated on the assumption the Canadian group can make the economics work and I have no idea whether they can or not.
Old April 15 2005, 09:22 PM   #34
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

Well I'm sure the bashing will continue even if TU is successful--I can see it now, "why waste resources to bring back this show? They should've gotten another season of whichever Trek show I consider superior."
My own two cents is for everyone to learn from this (meaning don't get dragged down into fights among other things) and hope for the best.
Old April 15 2005, 09:22 PM   #35
Lilith
Fleet Captain

Posted by Kurn:
Posted by TrekToday:
In addition, Paramount vice-president John Wentworth categorically denied that any talks were going on between TrekUnited and Paramount
Uhm... Vice-president? Yeah, sure, OF THE PR DEPARTMENT! Surely TU would be talking to people higher up than him...
That's PR. They release information so that the uppermanagement doesn't release information that makes them look questionable/bad or has otherwise more negative impact than necessary. A PR manager is exactly what TU needs if they want to reach their goal.

As an effort that needs donations they need as much people behind them as they can get, poor PR is a way to insure that you'll get less people to support you.
Old April 15 2005, 09:22 PM   #36
dllmzca
Fleet Captain

IMO, this is a much more appropriate level of disclosure on TU's part. However, I don't see why this was not disclosed, earlier. IMO, TU did itself no favours in not being more up-front and should not have been surprised by (EDIT TO ADD: some of) the subsequent skepticism directed toward them: especially in light of Paramount's release of that letter on their own, and the date on which they released it.

Frankly, I don't see how they can. - Bashir
Old April 15 2005, 09:23 PM   #37
Mogh
Rear Admiral

^^ I entirely agree. Our PR structure is being revised at this very point

(to D. Destiny)
Old April 15 2005, 09:24 PM   #38
raffie
Commander

Posted by Mogh:

We're BECAUSE they've said no. And we'll stay here until they say yes.
So if I understand it correctly, you're gonna hang onto the donation money untill they say start producing a season 5 of ENT?
Old April 15 2005, 09:24 PM   #39
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Posted by emerald_lady:
BTW, outstanding work, Tim. Whether or not this succeeds, you deserve an apology from more than a few people.
Amen to that.
Old April 15 2005, 09:25 PM   #40
Mogh
Rear Admiral

Posted by raffie:
Posted by Mogh:

So if I understand it correctly, you're gonna hang onto the donation money untill they say start producing a season 5 of ENT?
No. TrekUnited is about far more than just the money counter, important as that part of the campaign is. As has been stated before, the money is only usable for a 2005/2006 Season Five, and must be refunded once that becomes impossible.
Old April 15 2005, 09:27 PM   #41
raffie
Commander

Posted by Mogh:
Posted by raffie:
Posted by Mogh:

No. TrekUnited is about far more than just the money counter, important as that part of the campaign is. As has been stated before, the money is only usable for a 2005/2006 Season Five, and must be refunded once that becomes impossible.
OK, thanks for clearing that up.
Old April 15 2005, 09:29 PM   #42
Lilith
Fleet Captain

Posted by Mogh:
- I do take criticism, because there's plenty to take. We're not professionals. We ARE amateurs. And we're doing the bloody best we can. So dole it out please, because we have a long learning curve to follow.

And to be honest- I think after the crap we've had to take- and I mean real crap, not legitimate questions about the campaign, which are good and foster vital debate- you'll forgive me for putting a bit of levity in some of my comments.
Yes it *is* perfectly understandable. And therein lies precisely the problem. As a person it's perfectly understandable and justified to 'hit back' so to speak. However you're representing a company here that gets leverage based on the number of people that supports them and in that capacity 'hitting back' really isn't the best way to go.

Every corporation has it's opponents. The are plenty of people bashing Paramount for instance. You just have to deal with it in a way that doesn't put off other people, who might support you. Learning curves are fun and all, but there isn't much time in this case to finish that curve, and it's hurting the effort.

That's nothing personal, it just indicates that it might be a good idea for TU to at least consider hiring a publicist.
Old April 15 2005, 09:30 PM   #43
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Posted by Q2UnME:
everything is shipped up to Vancouver for production to start again and at some point their ready to start filming a season 5. You pretty much just guarenteed that Season 5 will be without Scott Bakula. He's gone on record several times that part of the reason he took Enterprise was that it ment that he would be able to still be with his family in LA.
You have a good point, it's my understanding Richard Dean Anderson is leaving SG-1 for the same reasons.

I don't know what the answer would be. Then there's the contract the actors are under. Is that solid enough to hold them if they don't want to go Canada? Does it negate the contract if they move production?

A lot of issues indeed. Still I guess I see this as positive news and hopefully something can be worked out.

Again, I IMPLORE a LOT of people here to relax and let this thing play out. Maybe, just maybe, something good will come of it.
Old April 15 2005, 09:30 PM   #44
IvosevicJ
Rear Admiral

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Deal To Paramount

It really isn't a bad deal for Paramount since they keep their TM rights to Enterprise and the profit sharing is a unique arrangment that doesn't impinge on that.
Old April 15 2005, 09:32 PM   #45

In the event that Paramount passes on the ENT extension, has TU ever discussed the possibility of using the partnership with the Canadian companies to form some kind of production company that could, in association with Paramount, produce low-budget, non-ENT Trek-related features -- direct-to-DVD/TV movies or limited series? It seems like there would be a great potential here to create non-series Trek projects that fans have always demanded, like a Captain Sulu TV movie/miniseries, or other stories taking place in the Trek universe, that Paramount would never greenlight on its own, but which an independent, fan-owned company might be able to push through, with independent funding. If they could get some "names" attached, like Manny Coto or Shatner, that could bring in more funding as well.

It just seems like something that would be great for the fans, and good for Paramount in that they would still have final approval over the product, they wouldn't bear the financial burden/risk of mounting a full-scale TV series or theatrical film, and there would still be Trek product out there in some form during the hiatus until the next major series/film.

I know nothing about TV production, so I'm pretty much speaking out of my crack pipe here, but I figured I'd throw that question out there. I realize that you guys are focused on ENT right now, but I'm wondering if there are any ideas (besides closing up shop) should the effort not succeed.