Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 15 2005, 09:07 PM   #16
James Bond
Rear Admiral

Re: TrekUnited Proposed Season 5 Co-Production Dea

Originally posted by Q2UnME
*** Breaks out the Aluminumized Fire Protection suit ***

Oh, Boy... It's going to get hot in here. Best be prepared...
You ain't kiddin'.
Old April 15 2005, 09:07 PM   #17
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

If someone has come up with a viable economic possibility (I'm not saying this is, I'm just saying IF) and Paramount still turns it down . . . .

And I also hope releasing this info doesn't jeapordize anything. No I'm not blaming Mogh or TU for releasing it, they were pretty much forced into by the sharks out looking for blood.

God I hope this works.
Old April 15 2005, 09:08 PM   #18
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

Posted by TrekToday:
In addition, Paramount vice-president John Wentworth categorically denied that any talks were going on between TrekUnited and Paramount
Uhm... Vice-president? Yeah, sure, OF THE PR DEPARTMENT! Surely TU would be talking to people higher up than him...
Old April 15 2005, 09:10 PM   #19
raffie
Commander

Posted by gh4chiefs:
If someone has come up with a viable economic possibility (I'm not saying this is, I'm just saying IF) and Paramount still turns it down . . . .

Seriously, this time it wasn't just some fan's opinion (as in mine) that they're gonna give ST a much needed break, it was right in the article:

Paramount may have determined it is simply in the best long-term interests of Star Trek to give the franchise a rest for a few years.
Old April 15 2005, 09:13 PM   #20
IvosevicJ
Rear Admiral

The Clone wars, begun have

Best of luck to TU. Just let us know how annoying we need to be to paramount, if at all.
Old April 15 2005, 09:13 PM   #21
FSULawJM
Commander

Help me along here.

Does this mean that IGN was scooped by TrekToday?

-jm
Old April 15 2005, 09:14 PM   #22
Mogh
Rear Admiral

Posted by D. Destiny:
Posted by Mogh:
^ What, humble pie from all the people who called us liars?

*high fives J.*
This is annoying. Sorry, but you can't possibly be surprised that people are questioning what TU's doing, especially with the piss-poor PR they've sported. And I might add that gloating "see we told you so" over an article that quite frankly doesn't proof much of TU's claims at all, and infact discredits the "we're talking to Paramount", isn't exactly good PR either.

After having Tim call anyone disagreeing with TU's efforts "bashers" I'm wondering if the TU staff haven't forgotten the difference between bashing/slander/libel (sp?) and simple criticism.

Congrats on the accomplishments, seriously, but get the PR fixed and I'm sure many people would still like an explanation why Paramount's letter wasn't released and why TU claimed to be in secret talks with Paramount. As the article says, an idea by a TU/Canadian representive was pitched and the Paramount employee said that they'd "look at it". That doesn't constitute "talks" as far as I'm concerned.

So, keyword of the day: PR, PR, PR, PR.

and sure, go ahead and file this away under "senseless TU bashing becuase X doesn't like ENT"

Allow me to dispel a few myths:

- Everyone who does not support TrekUnited is not a "basher"

- TrekUnited clearly does not represent 100% of Trek fans

- I do take criticism, because there's plenty to take. We're not professionals. We ARE amateurs. And we're doing the bloody best we can. So dole it out please, because we have a long learning curve to follow.

And to be honest- I think after the crap we've had to take- and I mean real crap, not legitimate questions about the campaign, which are good and foster vital debate- you'll forgive me for putting a bit of levity in some of my comments.

Also, TU has been in talks for some time. We didn't randomly get a producer to randomly call a top exec. We spent time outlaying our ideas and negoatiating with a number of successively higher individuals before we were permitted to take it to the top levels.
Old April 15 2005, 09:15 PM   #23
N-121973
Commander

Mogh, is the person who wrote this article, one of the third parties you provided info/evidence on a non-disclosure basis? Or is that what we've got to wait for IGN FilmForce for later today?
Old April 15 2005, 09:16 PM   #24
James Bond
Rear Admiral

Originally posted by FSULawJM
Help me along here.

Does this mean that IGN was scooped by TrekToday?
Yeah, is this the same article IGN was going to release? Or did we just get really lucky?
Old April 15 2005, 09:16 PM   #25
James Durdan
Lieutenant

We are seeing an interesting tactic here.

By making this announcement, TU manages now to deflect attention from them, and back to Paramount, and in one fell swoop reinforce Paramount as the bad guy.

Masterful! Nothing has really changed, because Paramount will never let this happen, releasing partial control of the franchise to a third party, but masterful. Kudos to TU for deflecting attention off of them for a few days!
Old April 15 2005, 09:16 PM   #26
Htown
Rear Admiral

Like it's the first time IGN's been scooped.

Anyway, I guess I better get on my standard Starfleet-issue flame retardant underwear for this new thread...
Old April 15 2005, 09:18 PM   #27
Htown
Rear Admiral

Posted by James Durdan:

By making this announcement, TU manages now to deflect attention from them, and back to Paramount, and in one fell swoop reinforce Paramount as the bad guy.

Masterful! Nothing has really changed, because Paramount will never let this happen, releasing partial control of the franchise to a third party, but masterful. Kudos to TU for deflecting attention off of them for a few days!
::

So it begins... </Theoden>
Old April 15 2005, 09:18 PM   #28
Q2UnME
Commodore

OK, just had a thought.

Say Paramount bites at this proposal (small chance) and everything is shipped up to Vancouver for production to start again and at some point their ready to start filming a season 5. You pretty much just guarenteed that Season 5 will be without Scott Bakula. He's gone on record several times that part of the reason he took Enterprise was that it ment that he would be able to still be with his family in LA. What then? Recast the part of Archer? Phase his charactor out?

Creates a whole new set of problems to have to iron out.

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Old April 15 2005, 09:19 PM   #29
emerald_lady
Commodore

What is Paramount's problem?

Still looking for the big fix--more boobs, more sex, more violence, everybody dying. Everything but slowly building confidence like Manny was by telling good stories. As long as Paramount doesn't understand that, Trek is doomed to fail from now on. Even if they do wait five years and make a new series, they'll still try "gimmicks" to grab that prized young male demographic. Who knows? Maybe Berman will still be involved.

I want to see "Enterprise" played out. I really do. How can you do the franchise any justice when you've mucked up the first chapter of its history and left it incomplete? Nobody's going to want to come back to it. I won't want to come back to it.

BTW, outstanding work, Tim. Whether or not this succeeds, you deserve an apology from more than a few people.

Recast the part of Archer? Phase his charactor out?
Definitely not recast. However, I bet the series could survive with Scott only having a recurring part. Shoot, if we could get a bloody 4 or 6 hour mini-series at this point I'd be happy. Not that I'm expecting Paramount to have any brains--but...you know... I guarantee you, if Paramount says no, the next screen incarnation (be it film or TV) will be explosions, more sex, everybody dying as opposed to nobody dying....everything but well told, interwoven stories.
Old April 15 2005, 09:19 PM   #30
Mogh
Rear Admiral

Posted by James Durdan:

No they're a business. And yes, they've said no. And they've said no again. And they've said no the media. And they've said no on StarTrek.com.

We're BECAUSE they've said no. And we'll stay here until they say yes.

Nobody is calling Paramount bad guys. We're just making it clear whose court the ball is in and how truthful we have been.

Edit: Oh, and who said anything about releasing control of the franchise to anyone? Last time I talked, we were talking about one TV show, not five, nor ten movies, nor an armada of merchandise.