TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 16 2005, 11:02 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Executive Producers Talk Future For Trek and Selves

Star Trek: Enterprise executive producer Manny Coto has an idea for a new Star Trek series, which he declined to reveal at the wrap party but which writers Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens praised.

An article at The Ventura County Star quoted Coto as saying that he plans to wait a while before pitching his idea to Paramount Pictures, while in the meantime he joins the staff of FOX's 24 as a co-executive producer. The Reeves-Stevenses praised Coto's vision, saying that each Star Trek series has reflected its time, and the next Trek will be no exception. "There was a '60s mentality to the original series, With The Next Generation, they were doing the '80s. Deep Space Nine was about the cocooning of the '90s," said Garfield Reeves-Stevens, while Judith Reeves-Stevens added that Voyager was about the desire to return home while Enterprise focused on family and the origins of Star Trek.

Rick Berman, who has co-helmed the Star Trek franchise for nearly two decades, said that work was beginning on a new Star Trek feature film but it was too soon to discuss details. StarTrek.com quoted him as saying that the idea for the potential movie was initiated by another producer, Jordan Kerner. Like Coto, he will work on other projects for the time being, including television shows for Paramount "where people wear sneakers and drive cars."

Berman told The IESB in a video interview that he expected the Star Trek franchise to take a four to five year break from television, "maybe three years, but I think it will definitely be back as a TV series." Coto also told The IESB that the break would be two to three years, and said that he thought it would be wise to move into the generation after that of Picard, Sisko and Janeway, and that he would love to work on it if and when it happens.

But Brannon Braga, Berman's co-creator of Enterprise who noted that he had spent nearly a third of his life working on Star Trek, said that he suspected that the show might be gone for five to ten years. Asked by The IESB what sort of a future series he would envision, Braga said, "I would say that it would have to be - if it was five years from now - very different. If it was ten years from now, then maybe something that recaptured what made it popular in the first place. I don't have any specific ideas; otherwise I might be trying to set up a meeting with the Paramount executives. There is absolutely no discussion about doing Star Trek at all as far as I know...I think they're going to give it a rest for a few years."

John Billingsley, who plays Dr. Phlox, told The Ventura County Star that he hoped Star Trek would return only if a new series resulted from an imaginative idea, not just because Paramount wanted to make more money from the franchise. Many of the actors and crew reflected the expectation that it would be several years before Star Trek would return...but they all seemed certain that return it will.
Old April 16 2005, 11:07 PM   #2
PamalaLauren
Vice Admiral

Re: Executive Producers Talk Future For Trek and S

John Billingsley, does he live in Ventura or the surrounding area?

I have a great idea for a series!

One of my children is named after Kaylee from Firefly. The other named after a Disney Princess.
Old April 16 2005, 11:38 PM   #3
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Whee, NOW they realise it's time for a break?

Yeesh.

If they figured that out four years ago, we would have been saved from this mess.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old April 16 2005, 11:41 PM   #4
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Posted by firehawk12:
Whee, NOW they realise it's time for a break?

Yeesh.

If they figured that out four years ago, we would have been saved from this mess.
To their credit, they were saying that during the run of DS9 when Paramount wanted to go with an all new series for UPN instead of just transferring DS9 over. They also said that at the end of VOY when the suits wanted a new series to follow VOY!!
Old April 16 2005, 11:47 PM   #5
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I suppose I understand VOY for the "flagship show".

But they should have put their foot down if they really thought there was a problem.

So, either they're spineless, or they're sellouts... not ringing endorsements either way.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old April 16 2005, 11:54 PM   #6
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Posted by firehawk12:
Oh, I suppose I understand VOY for the "flagship show".

But they should have put their foot down if they really thought there was a problem.

So, either they're spineless, or they're sellouts... not ringing endorsements either way.

or they're trying to hang on to their jobs. Most people in LA who work higher up in the entertainment industry are pretty spineless, though
Old April 16 2005, 11:58 PM   #7
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, they both had guaranteed contracts though...

Either way, they would have had a payoff... AND their names would have been worth more because they wouldn't have been responsible for killing Trek.

Old April 17 2005, 12:07 AM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Posted by firehawk12:
And that would have been very sad. "Enterprise" is a better version of "Star Trek" than the previous two, and it's done a lot to get the unpleasant memories of DS9Voyager out of mind.
Old April 17 2005, 01:09 AM   #9
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Unfortunately, ratings would suggest otherwise...

Old April 17 2005, 01:16 AM   #10
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

The generation AFTER Picard, Sisko and Janeway...

...How awesome!
Old April 17 2005, 01:18 AM   #11
IntrepidMan
Fleet Captain

^I also like the idea of a show after Picard, Janeway, et. al. I'm not a big fan of prequels.
Old April 17 2005, 01:21 AM   #12
dllmzca
Fleet Captain

Posted by IntrepidMan:
^I also like the idea of a show that shows the generation after Picard, Janeway, et. al. I'm not a big fan of prequels.
I agree. I have no interest in more pre-TOS projects.

Frankly, I don't see how they can. - Bashir
Old April 17 2005, 05:10 AM   #13
Kail
Commodore

Braga:
maybe something that recaptured what made it popular in the first place. I don't have any specific ideas;
For once, one of the producers let the truth slip out, they have no ideas. IMO, they have not had any new ideas for a LONG time.

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Old April 17 2005, 10:08 AM   #14
PowderedToastMan
Commodore

The idea of a Coto helmed series in the future sounds fantastic. I also agree that a 24th century setting sounds good too (but I dont really care as long as it has good writing and production) I think we can all agree that Manny Coto and the Reeves-Stevenses are the best things to come along to Trek in a long time.

Everyone should take a cue from them and move on for now with other projects and think about the a future for Trek to start later. They know that Trek will be back and are already thinking of ways to make it better than ever. ...And you get the same story from all the actors, producers and Paramount executives: Trek will be back. I imagine that they know more than those saying that the 'end of Enterprise is the end of Trek'
Old April 17 2005, 01:52 PM   #15
Quonous
Commodore

Posted by PowderedToastMan:
I also agree that a 24th century setting sounds good too...
Surely a Generation after Picard would be the early 25th Century? Doesn't Nemesis take place in 2374ish?

Anyway, that's immaterial. If I were doing a new series, that's when I'd set it, perhaps a little later (2460, ~100 years post TNG) because you can start over. Very, very little will still be around from the time of TNG so given good writers and designers it should feel like a new show.