Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old October 8 2007, 11:35 PM   #91
BlackCello
Cadet

Re: Windows XP Problems WITH Solutions

I have managed to get Generations to run on my PC running Windows XP. I initially ran into the same trouble you mentioned regarding the game crashing as soon as you started an away mission, HOWEVER I have found a solution -- an absolutely ridiculous solution that you won't believe, but a solution nonetheless.

I know this sounds crazy, but stay with me on this...As soon as you click "Transport" and you hear Picard say "Commander Riker to the Transporter Room" begin RIGHT CLICKING YOUR MOUSE LIKE CRAZY. I don't know why, but as long as you do that the game won't crash and the Briefing Screen for the Away mission will appear (I believe you can acheive this by left clicking too, but I prefer Right clicking so as not to accidentally hit the "Proceed" button before having read the objectives). Make sure you remember to do this before every single away mission, and start doing it well before the actual loading begins (I do it as SOON as Picard starts speaking).

I'm curious if this solution works for anyone else...if it does, does anyone have any idea why? Something about keeping the game "busy" so it doesn't have time to crash??? No idea here.

Haha, you might wonder how exactly I stumbled upon this fix. It was nothing more than pure frustration -- I began clicking wildly out of anger and it just happened to work. Ever seen the movie Back to the Future? Remember the scene near the end where Marty can't get the car to start so he just slams his head against the wheel and -- presto -- it starts? It was a lot like that...my reaction of complete disbelief was just like in the movie too. :-)

I sure hope this helps you. One problem I have is that despite this solution, the game still refuses to play cutscenes...do they work for you? At least it's possible to watch them directly from the CD by opening the files with Media Player...

I realize this reply is about a year after you started discussing it...hope someone sees it someday.
BlackCello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2007, 11:41 PM   #92
BlackCello
Cadet

I realize this reply is about a year after you started discussing it...hope someone sees it someday.

I have managed to get Generations to run on my PC running Windows XP. I initially ran into the same trouble you mentioned regarding the game crashing as soon as you started an away mission, HOWEVER I have found a solution -- an absolutely ridiculous solution that you won't believe, but a solution nonetheless.

I know this sounds crazy, but stay with me on this...As soon as you click "Transport" and you hear Picard say "Commander Riker to the Transporter Room" begin RIGHT CLICKING YOUR MOUSE LIKE CRAZY. I don't know why, but as long as you do that the game won't crash and the Briefing Screen for the Away mission will appear (I believe you can acheive this by left clicking too, but I prefer Right clicking so as not to accidentally hit the "Proceed" button before having read the objectives). Make sure you remember to do this before every single away mission, and start doing it well before the actual loading begins (I do it as SOON as Picard starts speaking).

I'm curious if this solution works for anyone else...if it does, does anyone have any idea why? Something about keeping the game "busy" so it doesn't have time to crash??? No idea here.

I sure hope this helps you. One problem I have is that despite this solution, the game still refuses to play cutscenes...do they work for you? At least it's possible to watch them directly from the CD by opening the files with Media Player...

Haha, you might wonder how exactly I stumbled upon this fix. It was nothing more than pure frustration -- I began clicking wildly out of anger and it just happened to work. Ever seen the movie Back to the Future? Remember the scene near the end where Marty can't get the car to start so he just slams his head against the wheel and -- presto -- it starts? It was a lot like that...my reaction of complete disbelief was just like in the movie too.
BlackCello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2007, 05:53 AM   #93
nx1701g
Admiral

So is it time for a VISTA thread?
Old October 9 2007, 06:14 AM   #94
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I recently got to play Final Unity for the first time under XP. The audio quality was a bit dodgy but it works. That was a bunch of fun.
Final Unity, 25th and Judgement Rites - with the extensive cast audio, any of those would make good candidates for fan remakes.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2007, 07:41 PM   #95
daedalus5

nx1701g said:
So is it time for a VISTA thread?
Could be!! If any Vista issue arise, I shall create a new one. I'm open to a poster creating one and I will make it sticky.
Old October 18 2007, 08:27 PM   #96
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Here is a solution for installing Hidden Evil on XP. If the InstallShield program keeps bugging out and not installing the game:
don't use the AutoRun to install the game
open the CD and run "Setup" in Win98 Compatability mode (by right-clicking on Setup/Properties)
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2007, 02:12 AM   #97
donners22
Commodore

Has anyone got Away Team running under XP? I get a starfield screen when I load up the game, and it never moves beyond that. I can't even get back to the desktop, which is extremely annoying. None of the compatibiloity modes made any difference.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 12:20 AM   #98
Korczynski
Captain

I've just reinstalled STTNG:BOTF on my Windows XP 64 PC, run the 1.02 patch and had the crash to desktop after the splash screen. Quick fix was to create a shortcut to Trek.exe and run the application in Windows XP mode.

This may work for Vista 64-bit users as well.
Korczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 05:09 PM   #99
Jax
Admiral

Found my old version of Dominion Wars...

Is there anyway to get it to work on XP, it just keeps on crashing for me and I get this error message when I try to rin it in compatiable mode plus it won't pathc up either

really want to play it again.
Old November 21 2007, 03:22 AM   #100
donners22
Commodore

^ I can't get it to run either. There's a few tricks around (changing screen resolution, compatibility mode, etc), but none have worked for me.

Old November 21 2007, 08:33 PM   #101
Huntingdon
Fleet Admiral

It depends on your graphics card. The newer it is the less likely it is to play it - they switched codes or something and there is no workaround for that.

I'm really easy to get along with, once you learn how to worship me.
Huntingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2008, 05:27 PM   #102
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Dominion wars came in two flavours, the US version which will run on XP with no problems, and the EU version which you may get up and running but is about as stable as a one legged 98 year old half blind woman, flying down a cobbled hill on a unicycle.........basically its totally unplayable.

I have both versions and the only way i ever got the EU version was to work was just to install ME back onto a spare HD i had.

And to add a little flavor to this story, the problem with the EU version could have been solved with a small patch, but there was no official patch released for this problem, there was however a altered EXE files made by a fan of the game, who used to hang about the official Trek web site forums and had been in touch with the games developers to offer them the altered EXE file for the game as a official patch...Unfortunately this very helpful person was told in no uncertain terms from official sources that messing with the EXE of the games could and would result in copyright breach and was told to cess and desist.

Which was a shame really and DW is a very respectable and fun game.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2008, 12:42 AM   #103
donners22
Commodore

The worst bit is that the EU version didn't even contain Starship Creator II, contrary to the box! Not that it was a particularly good game (and I paid $90 for the original, proving what a sucker I am), but at least I could have got something for my money...

Old January 4 2008, 09:30 AM   #104
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

And you just hit on the very reason i bought SCII, thinking you could design all these ships and then see them running in DW.....Unfortunately your designs were limited severely.

Very imaginative feature that was just to limited.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2008, 07:17 AM   #105
Antonio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

VMP_DarkKnight said:
Hey it worked! The only thing that is not working is the save game, it says the disk is full or the disk is read only. Any ideas?

This is what appears in the 2nd DOSBOX when I try to save...

Warning: File creation failed: C:\INTERPLAY\TREK2\SAVEGAME.NEW
Warning: File creation failed: C:\INTERPLAY\TREK2\FED.SAVE
Warning: File creation failed: C:\INTERPLAY\TREK2\SAVEGAME.0

When I die, the game tries to bring up the save game box, and it crashes the game with this error message...

Internal Error: Can't open C:\Interplay\Trek2\FED.sav
Game aborted.

What threw me it doesnt say, Trek2\interplay\trek2, maybe the command path for saving needs adjusted? Or am on the wrong track? Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thank you so much btw, I owe you a drink. Or 6...LOL.
I have the same issue now that Judgment Rites is finally running using the latest version of Dosbox in Windows XP. If anyone has ideas how to remedy this problem with Judgment Rites I would greatly appreciate it.Not sure why it the error message says the disk is full or read only. Otherwise it seems to mount perfectly. I have drive c mounted as c:/intrpplay/trek2. Thanks!
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote