Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old March 2 2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

TrekBBS Armada - The Foundry

Goooooooooooooood Morning, TrekBBS!

It's back. The Foundry is online again, at least on Tribble server.
Reason enough for me to dedicate a thread to our own mission content.
Every fleet member and everyone whishing to make his self created missions known here can post them, give descriptions and get direct feedback.
if you want to keep us updated on your progress you might do so as well (including screenshots).
Also Discuss problems you run into, maybe someone here has already solved them or knows a workaround.

Go, ahead, show the STO community that the most creative authors belong to THIS board.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: TrekBBS Armada - The Foundry

I took a peak yesterday and while it probably isn't difficult to throw together half an hour of a mission with presets, boy it is a lot of work to make an immersive story. might take quite a while to finish my story idea which I know settled on a title for:

Errand of Despair
Old March 3 2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

I'm not a member of the TrekBBS Fleet (as there's a Guild I've been playing MMOs with for the past 10 years with, and we do have an STO branch now.) But, I've made a mission on the Tribble Test server that I'd love feedback on (good or bad). It's called:

A Relic's Return (link)

Description:
Kintara Prime, a newly discovered UFP applicant world that mines and supplies dilithium for the Federation war effort, has requested diplomatic assistance. The Orion Syndicate have taken a 150 year old relic of great cultural signifigance, and the Kintarans want it returned.

(This is part one of a larger story. I wanted to see how far I could push the Foundry to make an interesting and entertaining mission; and combine it with the story I want to tell. I am more of an Original Star Trek series (1966-1969) fan; so the dialog will probbably have more of that era’s feel to it.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Anybody know when the foundry goes live?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 12:02 AM   #5
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The Foundry is as of yesterday live.
And I'm already having fun with it.

Here are some first impressions from my first mission attempt:

Errand of Despair

The battlescene is from the openeing sequence and the Admiral in the chair (notice our fleet leader uniform )is about to give you the actual objective during the After-Battle-Talk.
Old April 2 2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

Excellent scenes Timelord !! I have a couple of ideas that I want to incorporate into a mission, but they include sickbay and engineering. To my understanding, there aren't any pre-fab rooms that we can use, and I don't think we have the tools to make them ourselves. We have generic warp cores, but no sick bay items that I can find. Also had an idea to transport back to your ship and end up in a transporter, but we don't have a transporter room set pieces.
Bird of Prey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor

How does everyone feel about the Foundry missions?

Maybe I'm just a bit of a snob, but I find that persistent grammatical and spelling errors really detract from the fun and immersion of the missions. I tend to knock at least one star off for that alone.

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Dancing Doctor wrote: View Post

Maybe I'm just a bit of a snob, but I find that persistent grammatical and spelling errors really detract from the fun and immersion of the missions. I tend to knock at least one star off for that alone.
I like it so much, I wrote one called "A Relic's Return" (link); and honestly, I used a spell checker, and proofread what I wrote, so I doubt you'll find any spelling errors (as of this posting it has 3 plays/reviews, and you need 5 to get a mission out of 'Review for Inappropriate Content' status, so if anyone's interested in trying it, and doesn't see it, you might have to "Become a Reviewer" to see it if it hasn't gotten past 5 plays on the Live server.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 01:13 AM   #9
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Dancing Doctor wrote: View Post

I like it so much, I wrote one called "A Relic's Return" (link); and honestly, I used a spell checker, and proofread what I wrote, so I doubt you'll find any spelling errors (as of this posting it has 3 plays/reviews, and you need 5 to get a mission out of 'Review for Inappropriate Content' status, so if anyone's interested in trying it, and doesn't see it, you might have to "Become a Reviewer" to see it if it hasn't gotten past 5 plays on the Live server.
I had looked at that mission, and held off on playing it until now.

It definitely sounds intriguing. One thing that definitely makes me give you a positive viewing so far is the amount of specificity and detail in the initial mission briefing and the first step. I find that very helpful and gets me off onto the right foot, so to speak.

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Oh god! I nearly had a heart attack. I had spent hours in the foundry creating a dialog that takes about a minute to click through and then I had a diconnect.
Naturally I forgot to save my progress.
But the foundry gods have been with me. The autosave kept me from redoing it all!!

Anyway... A new screenshot from Errand of Despair
Old April 17 2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Got some real progress in today.
I think it's coming together really well and will play like a real Trek episode with a 5 act structure.

Here some more "behind-the-scenes" shots.

Old April 17 2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Please make certian that your respawn points work such that a continuation of the mission(ie from a crash) takes you to the last one, not throught all of them previously set.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2011, 11:56 PM   #13
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

^I believe that's a Foundry limit, and it's most annoying.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

If that is a problem I haven't encoutered it yet. But then my mission is rather story driven and I doubt there will be many opportunities to die. And while it feels extremely big and vast for me building it, it will hardly be a long mission when you skip all the dialogs on replay.
I guess it will offer about 15-20 minutes playtime on first run with actual reading of the dialog.
Old April 18 2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Looking forward to playing it.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote