RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 468
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 20 2004, 05:57 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

The Forge

Plot Summary: Seventeen years in the past on Vulcan, a man in a cave lifts a small statue engraved with Surak's name. In the present on Vulcan, Admiral Forrest tells Ambassador Soval that he is hopeful the High Command will conduct joint missions with Starfleet in the future, but Soval warns him that many on Vulcan are concerned about working with humans. Suddenly an explosion rocks the embassy; Forrest dives to protect Soval. Three days later when Enterprise arrives, 12 Vulcans and 31 humans - including Forrest - have died. Archer is told that the Vulcans have two groups of suspects: the Andorians and the Syrannites, a group of Vulcans who follow a radical form of the teachings of Surak, the father of Vulcan logic.

In the embassy wreckage, Reed and Mayweather uncover an undetonated explosive. Reed is able to scan it and finds Vulcan DNA, which Phlox identifies as belonging to T'Pau, whom the Vulcans identify as a well-known Syrannite. Soval warns Archer not to trust the High Command, which is refusing to let the humans assist in the investigation, but to go to Vulcan and try to piece together what happened on his own. Meanwhile T'Pol's husband visits her with the disquieting news that her mother was a Syrannite, that she has gone into hiding, and that she asked him to give her a family heirloom - an IDIC medallion containing a map of the desert known as the Forge. She shows it to Archer, who takes her to the desert, leaving Tucker and Soval to try to piece together what happened at the embassy. No sooner have they left than Phlox discovers that T'Pau did not commit the crime: the DNA on the bomb was taken from her as an infant and was planted there. A human guard who is in a coma may have seen the terrorist enter, but they have no way of questioning him.

On Vulcan, T'Pol tries to explain how Surak brought logic to Vulcan, but their conversation is interrupted by a sehlat that drives them up a hill. Hours later a Vulcan announces that the path is safe and identifies himself as Arev, a follower of the path of Surak in meditation. Archer claims to be on a pilgrimage to study Surak and Arev reluctantly allows him to accompany himself and T'Pol, though he warns that the desert will test and destroy the human. While Archer gives away his ignorance about Vulcan culture, Arev reveals that he does not believe the High Command follows Surak's true path. An electrical sandstorm drives the trio into a cave, where Arev sees T'Pol's IDIC, realizes that she is the daughter of T'Les, and guesses that Archer is the man held responsible for the destruction of the monastery at P'Jem. Because they exposed the High Command's hypocrisy, he agrees to lead them to the sanctuary where T'Pol's mother is hiding.

Soval performs a mind-meld on the comatose guard, in whose mind he sees the head of Vulcan security arriving in disguise at the embassy carrying a package. He accuses the man in front of V'Las, the head of the High Command, but is told that telepathic evidence is not admissible and that he will be summoned before the entire High Command to account for his shameful actions. Back in the cave on Vulcan, Arev tells Archer that the High Command has involved itself in matters beyond the exploration of space. He explains the IDIC, adding that according to the story of infinite diversity in infinite combinations, Surak died on Mt. Seleya but his katra, the essence of the Vulcan mind, was spirited away and transferred to another body, where any Vulcan who performs a mind meld can touch it.

Bolts of lightning from the storm penetrate the cave, striking first T'Pol, then Arev. Realizing that he is dying, Arev says, "You must carry it to the sanctuary," then performs a mind meld with Archer, telling him to remember. When he next opens his eyes, Archer finds Arev dead and T'Pol caring for his injuries. They move quickly into the night once the storm has passed and he leads her through what appears to be solid rock into an underground temple. "Don't resist," he warns her just before they are siezed by a group of presumable Syrannites.

To read the full reviews, please click here.
Old November 20 2004, 07:35 AM   #2
Orion_Randy
Fleet Captain

Re: The Forge

I noted that this episode uses a location first established in fan fiction ("Vulcan's Forge") as a location on Vulcan. While it's not the first instance where fan fiction has ended up on screen, it was still nice to see.

And a rather watchable episode, too.
Old November 20 2004, 07:42 AM   #3
Pip
Commodore

Vulcan's Forge was a novel.
Old November 20 2004, 07:43 AM   #4
Hobs202
Commodore

Damn. I actually liked Forrest.

From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying "Bah"
--- Dogbert
Old November 20 2004, 07:45 AM   #5
Pip
Commodore

I, for one, am finally beginning to like Soval
Old November 20 2004, 07:50 AM   #6
Orion_Randy
Fleet Captain

Posted by Pip:
Vulcan's Forge was first named in fan fiction way back in the late 60's. Refer to "Star Trek Lives!" for a few of the zines in which it was mentioned. Hell, we referenced it ourselves in the late 70's/early 80's, years before the pro-novel of the same name appeared. The novel appeared decades after Vulcan's Forge was established, Pip.
Old November 20 2004, 07:56 AM   #7
Pip
Commodore

Posted by Orion_Randy:
Posted by Pip:
Vulcan's Forge was first named in fan fiction way back in the late 60's. Refer to "Star Trek Lives!" for a few of the zines in which it was mentioned. Hell, we referenced it ourselves in the late 70's/early 80's, years before the pro-novel of the same name appeared. The novel appeared decades after Vulcan's Forge was established, Pip.
If you want to get technical, it was present in mythology centuries ago.

http://vulcansforge.8m.com/vulcansforge.htm
Old November 20 2004, 12:01 PM   #8
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

IIRC, Vulcan's Forge was first mentioned in the TAS episode "Yesteryear" by DC Fontana, Queen of the Vulcans.

Fan-fic and novels used the idea a little later
Old November 20 2004, 05:29 PM   #9
Orion_Randy
Fleet Captain

Posted by Photoman15:
IIRC, Vulcan's Forge was first mentioned in the TAS episode "Yesteryear" by DC Fontana, Queen of the Vulcans.
Nope. I have a fanzine from 1969 with Vulcan's Forge and Surak himself in it, three years before DC Fontana did it.

It's often hard for Modern Trek fans to realize exactly how long fanzines have been around, but the earliest one I've found is 1968.
Old November 20 2004, 05:31 PM   #10
Orion_Randy
Fleet Captain

Posted by Pip:
If you want to get technical, it was present in mythology centuries ago.
The name, perhaps, but certainly not the Vulcan landmark itself.
Old November 20 2004, 10:39 PM   #11
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Posted by Orion_Randy:
Posted by Photoman15:
Nope. I have a fanzine from 1969 with Vulcan's Forge and Surak himself in it, three years before DC Fontana did it.

I stand insulted. I am not a "modern Trek fan". I watched TOS during its' original run on NBC in the 60s.

It's often hard for Modern Trek fans to realize exactly how long fanzines have been around, but the earliest one I've found is 1968.
Old November 20 2004, 11:09 PM   #12
Angry Angel
Vice Admiral

Posted by Hobs202:
Damn. I actually liked Forrest.
Posted by Pip:
I, for one, am finally beginning to like Soval
Seeing these posts, it almost feels like they traded one character for the other.

Too bad for Forrest

I wonder who will take up the role.
Beyond a critical point in a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive. -Pardot Kynes
Old November 22 2004, 07:00 AM   #13
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Eh. I didn't really care for this episode all that much. The Vulcan arc isn't that interesting to me. I'm looking forward to the Andorian/Romulan arc, though. That sounds like it's going to be really good. Here's hoping it is!

Plus, I hope they get back to their original mission of exploring.
Old November 22 2004, 07:33 AM   #14
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

^
I found it quite enjoyable. I can't wait 'til next week!

If they keep churning out this stuff, it'll be a damn shame to have the show canceled.

Damn....why didn't they do ones this good in the beginning?

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old November 22 2004, 11:15 AM   #15
Angry Angel
Vice Admiral

Posted by T'Bonz:
If they keep churning out this stuff, it'll be a damn shame to have the show canceled.
You know, at first after having seen the first 2 seasons, I had that feeling, oh god, canceling as in no more Star Trek on TV whatsoever, now it's oh god, no more ENT on TV whatsoever.
Beyond a critical point in a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive. -Pardot Kynes