New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old July 1 2004, 10:57 PM   #631
Warped9
Admiral

Never seen TOS scenes...

I really would have preferred if McCoy had been in "Where No Man Has Gone Before."
Old July 1 2004, 11:45 PM   #632
Kagan
Commodore

Re: Never seen TOS scenes...

Yeah! We're back to pics. Bones listening to his "first" of many ramblings by Spock.

You chose a good expression...seems as if he's ready to jump in as soon as Spock takes a breath...if not before.
Old July 2 2004, 04:17 AM   #633
Machiavelligz
Lieutenant Commander

what do you do to get your screen captures so sharp? Are TOS DVD's that good, or is it you?
Old July 2 2004, 05:07 AM   #634
Warped9
Admiral

Firstly, to my eternal regret I'm not yet set up to make my own screen captures (thats coming eventually) and so for now I have to rely on what I can donload from the net.

However, there are two basic things working in TOS' favour I believe. Firstly the original episodes were filmed on celluloid as opposed to videotape as is done today. This makes for a greater likelihood of having crisper original images. Secondly some years ago Paramount invested in getting the original episodes digitally remastered and cleaned up as well as having some colour correction and enhancement I believe. If screencaps are taken off the remastered episodes then that would serve to llow for pretty crisp pictures I would think.

Unless someone out there more knowledgeable than I in these things can set me straight and explain that I'm full of crap.

Ulimately what I don't like about my last pic is that I've had to graft McCoy's head onto Piper's body and even though I tried to correct Piper's body shape to some extent it's still not satisfactory. Paul Fixx (Piper) was older and had a rather different body form than DeForest Kelly who was leaner and had better posture.
Old July 2 2004, 06:15 AM   #635

WOW! I just stumbled into this forum, and this is BY FAR the coolest thread on the entire BBS!

Old July 2 2004, 09:39 AM   #636
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Wow, indeed. The thread has been going since April 10th and you've only just found us?
Old July 2 2004, 07:01 PM   #637
Warped9
Admiral

History 101: Captain Picard uses the holodeck to visit the Kirk era...

And then decides to indulge in a little fantasy...

I'm bending my own self-imposed rule here because I find some of TNG tolerable and I was curious to see what it could look like.
Old July 2 2004, 07:09 PM   #638
Intelligence
Rear Admiral

Posted by Warped9:
I really would have preferred if McCoy had been in "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

actually I have to disagree here for the first time, I like the natural colours of the early uniforms, the later ones look classic yes, but the Cage ones have their own definition of classic and the tan looks perfect.

oh and thank you, now they have to dubb the line again, where Dr. Piper says he came as representative for McCoy (yes, the German TV solved the problem that Piper was just a guest character)
Old July 2 2004, 07:15 PM   #639
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Well the original command shirts were always meant to be green, but some weird photo freakout changed the colour to tan/gold and so I'd just thought I'd let folks here see what the production crew and cast always saw.
Old July 2 2004, 10:04 PM   #640
star
Vice Admiral

Posted by Warped9:
History 101: Captain Picard uses the holodeck to visit the Kirk era...

I'm bending my own self-imposed rule here because I find some of TNG tolerable and I was curious to see what it could look like.
You know I saw a thread once that talked about why the uniform colors had changed from TOS to TNG and it was brought up that Patrick Stewart didn't look good in gold... Now I believe it!

Very cool images though.
Old July 3 2004, 01:10 AM   #641
Kagan
Commodore

Posted by Warped9:

You are breaking several people's rules...

1. No holodecks...what the hell...did it anyway
2. No crossovers...what the hell...did it anyway
3. No Picard in gold...what the hell...did it anyway

I'm sure Picard finds the TOS bridge more to his liking without some ditzy woman "feeling" in his ear all the time.

Hmmm....Women feeling in my ear...I'm sensing a Ferengi moment.
How can that be...I'm a TOS man!!!
Old July 3 2004, 01:36 AM   #642
Khan Noonian Singh
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS movie what if...

Posted by Warped9:
I even toyed with the idea of just such a short story where April brings in folks like a young hotshot engineer named Lawrence Marvick and a rastafarian like computer systems geek with wild untested ideas called Richard Daystrom. April would have fought committees and other departments all trying to horn in on the program and intent on making the new class of ship something almost totally divorced from what it supposed to and should be. He would have fought with people who would like the new ships to be "dreadnoughts" and superweapons.

Just some idle musings on my part.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have our prequel movie.
Old July 3 2004, 05:48 AM   #643
Warped9
Admiral

Posted by Kagan:
Posted by Warped9:

You are breaking several people's rules...

1. No holodecks...what the hell...did it anyway
2. No crossovers...what the hell...did it anyway
3. No Picard in gold...what the hell...did it anyway

I'm sure Picard finds the TOS bridge more to his liking without some ditzy woman "feeling" in his ear all the time.

The frigthening thing is Picard might fail commanding a TOS era bridge exercise. If you're about to be blown out of the sky then it is not an opportune time to call for a conference!

Technically TAS introduced the holodeck in "The Practical Joker." Anyways maybe as a holodeck exercise I should have had Picard face the Gorn.
Old July 3 2004, 07:46 AM   #644
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Posted by Warped9:

Technically TAS introduced the holodeck in "The Practical Joker." Anyways maybe as a holodeck exercise I should have had Picard face the Gorn.
The first Holodeck and the first Holodeck malfunction...
Old July 3 2004, 01:20 PM   #645
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan
Re: TOS movie what if...

Posted by Captain Robert April:
I wrote up a story for Pocket Books' Strange New Worlds contest involving April's first trip out on the Enterprise (I'll not go into the details at this time, since it may make it in one of these years). In it I included a rather striking bit of history to explain why April was assigned command of the Enterprise.

The two folks I'd forgotten to include in the mix were Marvick and Daystrom. I'll have to rectify that in the next rewrite.
Funny, i have done exactly the same thing.

I have got an outline of a trilogy of fan fics to start of an April legacy.

The start is a whole backstory to how April got the Enterprise, the fic ends as April gets the enterprise and gives the order to leave spacedock.

The second pics up as the Enterprise runs a shakedown, encountering problems en-route such as; computer glitches, turbolifts going to wrong decks, power being lost on the bridge for a few seconds, introduction of the 'The Cage' type uniforms that replace my own uniform design for the series etc etc. - Basically putting a little humour and 'Not everythings perfect' type thing that TFF tried and that 'Enterprise' seems to be lacking, i havnt seen Ent since episode 5 so...

All i have done is put Humans in a real life situation, working out the bugs in the system type of thing, afterall, its a new ship, things are bound to go wrong, nothings perfect even in 23rd century.

The third installment is the official mission...

Those are the three big fics, the trilogy, they explain everything, get everything swinging, with a kick. The next lot of fics are stories, of course, about the universe and everything trek such as politics, war-fare, social sciences, human nature and the like.

It also has to do with art as i am using image sampling for various scenes, im wont reveal the cast as yet, but pho-manips of the past that i have have cropped up occasionally explaining some stuff.

I wont reveal Aprils character profile just yet though...
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Closed Thread