Whitney Passes
By: T'Bonz on May 4

Retro Review: Phage
By: Michelle on May 2

The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old June 29 2004, 06:12 PM   #616
Warped9
Admiral

Re: TOS movie what if...

Although I consider Carey's book to be a little too cute to be credibly official I still thought it was one of the more enjoyable reads for Trek. I've got my own copy around here somewhere that I've read at least three times. And I think it's a much better book than the sequel Best Destiny which really just didn't work for me.
Old June 29 2004, 06:24 PM   #617
Kagan
Commodore

Still off-topic, but you brought up Best Destiny. Have you ever noticed that the image of the young Jim Kirk on its cover looks more like Wil Wheaton than it does a teenage William Shatner? Caused me to almost not buy when it first came out.
Old June 29 2004, 07:12 PM   #618
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Posted by Kagan:
Still off-topic, but you brought up Best Destiny. Have you ever noticed that the image of the young Jim Kirk on its cover looks more like Wil Wheaton than it does a teenage William Shatner? Caused me to almost not buy when it first came out.
Oh my God, THANK YOU!

I could never place what the F was up with that photo of the young Jim Kirk. Now I can <shiver>
Old June 29 2004, 09:08 PM   #619
Intelligence
Rear Admiral

Posted by Kagan:
Posted by Warped9:
^^ No, I believe the guy with the longer hair and wearing a sweater is supposed to be Robert April, the in the centre is George Kirk and the other is T'Cael the Romulan Commander. Drake was black and purportedly from the West Indies and he isn't anywhere in the illustration.
You're right, W9. Like I said in my previous post...I'm rereading The Final Frontier by Diane Carey. On chapter 8 already in one day. Drake Reed is described as having "tawny" skin...which usually means African descent. Robert April is described as constantly wearing a cardigan because of a blood disorder. George Kirk is described as having red hair and wearing a red shirt. T'Cael is also described as he appears on the cover.

Can't wait to finish this again.

As a college buddy once said, "Star Trek's third season (TOS), pizza, and women...even when they're bad, they're good."
Im currently reading Best Destiny finally reached the fourth part of the book, took me increadible two months... Reed is discribed as being from the carribean...

you know I wasn't aware that George Kirk & Co were on the cover of Final Frontier I bought that book in Germany and the cover looks slightly different here (it was the last book I bought, I started therafter to read my novels in English...)

still have some memories to FF I was in the military and was on guard duty so I had a lot of time and read the entire thing in one night, to keep me awake...
Old June 29 2004, 11:09 PM   #620
Kagan
Commodore

Posted by Intelligence:
you know I wasn't aware that George Kirk & Co were on the cover of Final Frontier I bought that book in Germany and the cover looks slightly different here
Slightly different???

Intelligence, I don't know about the German...but in English...the way the word "slightly" is used here...is a gigantic understatement.

Hey, Warped9, (BACK ON TOPIC ) I was watching Where No Man Has Gone Before during breakfast. Much better than the news, by the way. Since you've looked into changing uniforms on The Cage...What about on WNMHGB?

If I'm looking at the original color schemes of gold, blue, and sand correctly then the following sand colored uniforms should change to red.

Mitchell

Kelso

In looking at some screen caps of both The Cage and WNMHGB, I think that Yeoman Colt in the pilot episode should also wear red.

I know that many in TOS fandom would yell and say that these should be gold, but that is not what it apparently should have been at the time. Of course TNG and later souls might wonder why the captain is in gold.

Just a suggesting thought.

By the way, the more I look at your enhanced red uniforms the more I like them with your crimson as opposed to the tradition scarlet. Keep up the good work.
Old June 29 2004, 11:57 PM   #621
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Actually instead of changing the colours from gold/sand and salmon to gold and red it would be easier to make the salmon into soft gold/brown and the gold/sand into the original green the shirts were always meant to be.

One little thing I'm working on is a shot where I can erase Piper and insert McCoy. It's challenging since more is involved than just changing the head because Paul Fixx's body type is very different from DeForest Kelly's.
Old June 30 2004, 12:45 AM   #622
Kagan
Commodore

Posted by Warped9:
^^ Actually instead of changing the colours from gold/sand and salmon to gold and red it would be easier to make the salmon into soft gold/brown and the gold/sand into the original green the shirts were always meant to be.

One little thing I'm working on is a shot where I can erase Piper and insert McCoy. It's challenging since more is involved than just changing the head because Paul Fixx's body type is very different from DeForest Kelly's.
Ahhhhhh.....

So...uh...I'll...uh...still be here when you finish.
Old June 30 2004, 02:24 AM   #623
Warped9
Admiral

One of the things that was wild about the inside jacket art was the fact that the original Enterprise illustration was given TMP refit like engine support pylons?

It's a rather nice piece of art depicting the Romulan T'Cael, James T. Kirk and daddy George Kirk on the right. Below we see Sara and Robert April. The bridge has the wrong TOS era colouring though, but it's still decent art.

Old June 30 2004, 04:05 AM   #624
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I would like to state, for the record, that I never really cared for Diane Carey's depiction of Captain April.

Suffice it say that I will never be seen at a convention with a cardigan sweater over my uniform.
Old June 30 2004, 04:31 AM   #625
Warped9
Admiral

^^ I have to agree here to some extent. Carey's depiction of April is rather on the wishy-washy side and a weak aspect of the book. He seems more a diplomat or bureaucrat rather than a ship captain and deepspace explorer.

I did find it an enjoyable read, but I also found it too cute, neat and tidy to be credible that Kirk's daddy had been aboard the 1701 and that there was this great destiny thing going on. It would have been simply better if it had definitely been the Constitution rather than the E. Also, though, it takes the eddge off "Balance Of Terror" being the first encounter with the Romulans after a century as it was intended to be.

An aspect I did like was the idea of Robert April being involved in the development of the starship program, possibly heading it up and overseeing it to keep things focued and on track. In this capacity he could then have captained 1701 on its trial runs and then perhaps for ceremonial reasons--showing the flag so to speak and a reward for putting his flight career temporarily on hold--before handing it off to the E's first genuine operational commander, Chris Pike. I just think that seems more believeable and somewhat more real world like than the more conventional view. April could have been brought in for his skills in getting the right people for the job and cultivating them to get the best out of them. His experience as a deepspace veteran would serve to know what the new ship would be called upon to do.

I even toyed with the idea of just such a short story where April brings in folks like a young hotshot engineer named Lawrence Marvick and a rastafarian like computer systems geek with wild untested ideas called Richard Daystrom. April would have fought committees and other departments all trying to horn in on the program and intent on making the new class of ship something almost totally divorced from what it supposed to and should be. He would have fought with people who would like the new ships to be "dreadnoughts" and superweapons.

Just some idle musings on my part.
Old June 30 2004, 06:23 AM   #626
ImperialCaptainBat
Commander

am I the only one who thinks that the Romulan looks like David Copperfield????

UPDATED WEBSITE!

http://st-mirrorverse.com/
Old June 30 2004, 06:32 AM   #627
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I wrote up a story for Pocket Books' Strange New Worlds contest involving April's first trip out on the Enterprise (I'll not go into the details at this time, since it may make it in one of these years). In it I included a rather striking bit of history to explain why April was assigned command of the Enterprise.

The two folks I'd forgotten to include in the mix were Marvick and Daystrom. I'll have to rectify that in the next rewrite.
Old June 30 2004, 04:45 PM   #628
LavianoTS386
Admiral

Posted by ImperialCaptainBat:
No I noticed it too. A little bit liek the guy who played the incredible hulk too.
Old June 30 2004, 05:01 PM   #629
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Posted by ImperialCaptainBat:
lol
Old July 1 2004, 01:42 AM   #630
setvenharis
Lieutenant Commander

Less talk.........MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!