Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old June 28 2004, 01:20 AM   #601
Kagan
Commodore

Re: TOS movie what if...

Posted by Warped9:

Yep, W9, that has always been one of my favorites that you have done. Not only does the change impress me, but I don't think that I have ever seen a clearer cap than this one...including the ones a Ariane's and Trek5's sites.

As I have alluded in other posts since I joined BBS, The Cage era has always been one of the most fascinatingly unexplored parts of Trek to me, I guess because it felt so 50-ish SciFi. Your Cage-d pics have renewed my wonderment of "what could have been."

The bridge colors back then always seemed so dignified. Anyone that's been in the Navy knows that "battleship grey" is a lovely color. Even though I'm like Scotty was in The Relic when he asked to see the bridge of the Enterprise, I do wonder sometime what the place would have looked like without the 10 gallons of "fire-engine red" Sherwin Williams that NBC went and bought just to sell color TVs.
Old June 28 2004, 02:39 AM   #602
Odysseus
Commodore

i have a problem with the picture myself. it's nitpicky but here goes. the shadow under the andorian's head is to the right, but the shadow on his face is to the left. they should be matchig
Old June 28 2004, 02:55 AM   #603
Warped9
Admiral

^^ No, you're quite right yet the flaw did not originate with me but with the original image from which I got the Andorian's head. Whoever fashioned it originally simply grafted the head onto someone's neck without considering the shadow issue. At some point I may try to fix it, but it isn't on my list of priorities for the moment.
Old June 28 2004, 03:11 AM   #604
Kagan
Commodore

Interesting that you should say that. Not defending W9 here, but I have notice some things about the pic now that you brought up the light and shadow question.

W9's Enhanced Pic
There are actually multiple light sources on the bridge.
Notice the dark shadow below Spock's chin is in a "V" shape to indicate that light is coming from two different directions.

The more powerful light is coming from the direction of the viewscreen or the lighted-side of the Andorian's face.

Notice that the shadow of Dr. Boyce is against the bulkhead on the left of the pic.

Now for a original pic that I found to be nearest to the one W9 used...

http://www.trek5.com/caps/tos/00_CAG...0-cage_024.htm

In this pic the "sergeant at arms" has bright light only on his nose and his shadows are multiple as well. If one notices the bulkhead behind him has shadows both to his left and his right. He too has the "V" shadow beneath his chin indicating even two more light sources.

Since I've seen far worse attempts to enhance pics than the one W9 produced and that there are multiple light sources that are difficult to reproduce,...well, I'll leave it at that.
Old June 28 2004, 03:12 AM   #605
Odysseus
Commodore

the easiest thing is to probably flip the shoulders around because of the direction the face is looking.
Old June 28 2004, 03:29 AM   #606
Four Mad Men
Fleet Captain

[EDIT]
That'll teach me to go get a drink while posting. Seems my reply is a little late. But hopefully valid nonetheless
[/EDIT]

Well unless I miss my guess there are multiple lights involved here. And let's not forget about the set lights. It seems to me by looking at the others the set lighting is causing the face shadow and the alcove lighting is causing the body shadow. I could be wrong but that's how it seems to me. I myself prefer the brighter colors of Kirk's Enterprise but it is a nicely made image none the less.
Old June 28 2004, 03:35 AM   #607
Warped9
Admiral

I also tweaked the colours of the shirts (as well as adding less intense red shirts) to make them richer yet not as intense as is generally associated with TOS. I tried to make the whole image a little warmer and less battleship sterile by accentuating the colours. I would do the same with the series era bridge as well as toning down the reds on the set as well as the shirts.
Old June 28 2004, 05:03 PM   #608
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Looks like a great job! But I didn't know they had red uniforms back then.
Old June 28 2004, 05:21 PM   #609
reno floyd
Vice Admiral

An alternative TMP uniform with department color epaulets.

Get your own stalker. They're fun and cheap to run.
Old June 28 2004, 07:56 PM   #610
Warped9
Admiral

Posted by USS Excelsior:
Looks like a great job! But I didn't know they had red uniforms back then.
The point was to try adding some diversity of colour. And actually I didn't originate the idea. The original edition of Diane Carey's novel Final Frontier had a character on the cover (supposedly George Samuel Kirk) wearing such a "Cage" era uniform in a red shade and I thought it looked rather neat.
Old June 28 2004, 08:00 PM   #611
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Posted by Warped9:
You mean this one?

Who opened up a can of Starship Exeter in here?
Old June 28 2004, 08:09 PM   #612
Kagan
Commodore

Posted by Warped9:
The point was to try adding some diversity of colour. And actually I didn't originate the idea. The original edition of Diane Carey's novel Final Frontier had a character on the cover (supposedly George Samuel Kirk) wearing such a "Cage" era uniform in a red shade and I thought it looked rather neat.
Ahh...that's where you got that! Just pulled it off the shelf. Guess I'll just reread it again.
Old June 28 2004, 11:57 PM   #613
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Posted by Warped9:

George Kirk, Sr. is in the center of that inside cover art (looks like Shatner with much longer and lush hair). The man in the red shirt, I believe, is supposed to be Drake-- the other security officer kiddnapped by April at the beginning of the book.

M.
Old June 29 2004, 12:35 AM   #614
Warped9
Admiral

^^ No, I believe the guy with the longer hair and wearing a sweater is supposed to be Robert April, the in the centre is George Kirk and the other is T'Cael the Romulan Commander. Drake was black and purportedly from the West Indies and he isn't anywhere in the illustration.
Old June 29 2004, 06:00 PM   #615
Kagan
Commodore

Posted by Warped9:
^^ No, I believe the guy with the longer hair and wearing a sweater is supposed to be Robert April, the in the centre is George Kirk and the other is T'Cael the Romulan Commander. Drake was black and purportedly from the West Indies and he isn't anywhere in the illustration.
You're right, W9. Like I said in my previous post...I'm rereading The Final Frontier by Diane Carey. On chapter 8 already in one day. Drake Reed is described as having "tawny" skin...which usually means African descent. Robert April is described as constantly wearing a cardigan because of a blood disorder. George Kirk is described as having red hair and wearing a red shirt. T'Cael is also described as he appears on the cover.

Can't wait to finish this again.

As a college buddy once said, "Star Trek's third season (TOS), pizza, and women...even when they're bad, they're good."